Games to play while waiting for this one to come out (or for the beta if you are lucky enough)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MrMojoRisin, Sep 25, 2012.

1. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Goblin Champion

This game is going to be awesome. Personally, I think it's going to be my new digital crack, but I just have an addictive personality, I suppose.

Aaaanyway, I just thought I'd start a topic for games that might "fill the void" that waiting for this game to come out might have created in you.

The one that I think is closest is another browser game called Hero Mages. It's a "born digital board game" just like this one that really has a cool tabletop feel and some interesting mechanics, but lacks the overall pizazz that this game is going to have.

Any other suggestions of games that might be at all similar to this one that are playable right now?

2. FalconGK81

FalconGK81 Orc Soldier

I keep hearing very good things about FTL (faster than light), but I haven't played it yet.

www.ftlgame.com

Or you can get it on Steam.

3. Roshirai

Roshirai Goblin Champion

The closest I think you're going to be able to get is the 1997 Microprose Magic: The Gathering game that was one of the inspirations for Card Hunter. It's not widely available anymore, but you could probably still snag a copy from Amazon or eBay and DOSbox it. :)

Off the top of my head, more recent games that kinda have a similar tactical feel to Card Hunter's combat include Hero Academy, a multiplayer-only grid-based tactics game, and Bang! Howdy, a mostly-abandoned steampunk-themed tactics game that plays as a hybrid of an RTS and turn-based game. The Final Fantasy Tactics series also probably counts here as having both squad-building and tactical elements, but those are console/handheld games and gigantic time sinks. :D

If we're willing to stretch the definition a bit, any of the X-COM: UFO Defense progeny might also fall under this category, given that they all have a delicious mix of both strategy and turn-based tactics. The original is available on Steam and is a classic, but the UI has not aged particularly well. If you're an eager beaver, I'd suggest either keeping an eye on the Firaxis remake that comes out in a couple weeks, or picking up Xenonauts, which is a very faithful fan "re-imagining" of the original.

That seems like plenty of similar games for you to chew through. Now, if you were instead mostly asking what games I've been playing lately, that's an entirely different post... :D

Jon likes this.
  4. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

5. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

FTL is very, very good. It sent me into a prototyping frenzy, wherein I remolded Card Hunter into a strange new form. This new form is just a prototype so you'll likely never see it, but it started some interesting discussions.

Go play FTL.

Jukantos, skip_intro, Grak and 2 others like this.
  6. Michael

Michael Mushroom Warrior

BattleForge is a digital CCG played out like an RTS that has players competing against one another or the various campaign missions, if that's your thing.
    It is micro-transaction based, though, so only a smattering of content is available for free.

http://www.battleforge.com/

7. Roshirai

Roshirai Goblin Champion

Is that the "Odyssey" thing that Rudolpho was talking about? :p
    Yes. Go now. And if you happen to recruit the crewman named after me, don't get him killed, because I will know and I will find you.

So help me God, I will find you.

8. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

I have it and it's awsome (if you love rogue-like sci-fi games of course).

9. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

I cant stop playing FTL -_-

10. GothicHamster

GothicHamster Kobold

As posted above I cannot give enough props to Spectromancer. Give it a try the demo is free. If you play online my handle is GothicHamster. I am not great but feel free to hit me up for a match.

11. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

Oh man... I still have a copy of that old Micropose MtG game somewhere--I'm going to have to dig it up!

I'm surprised nobody here has said Torchlight 2 yet. I own a Mac, so I'm replaying Torchlight 1 until the port is complete. :(

12. Time4Pizza

Time4Pizza Mushroom Warrior

Star Wars: The Old Republic

That's right, me and one other guy in North Dakota are still paid subscribers.

Grombak likes this.
  13. Ezekremiah

Ezekremiah Kobold

Ever since Guild Wars 2 was released, I've pretty much put aside every other game I own...

Have been considering trying Torchlight 2, since I loved the first one.

14. Ystin

Ystin Orc Soldier

You wouldn't regret getting it, the game is awesome.

15. Kaerius

Kaerius Orc Soldier

Currently playing FTL and Avernum: Escape from the pit. Depending on my mood. Also I'm merely taking a break from, and will return to Dungeons of Dredmor and NEStalgia.

I've got at least half a dozen other games on standby/temporary hiatus as well.

16. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

I have to admit I've been all about Bad Piggies this last week. It's a wonderfully focused construct<->pilot game.
    Now I'm keeping a close eye on Retro City Rampage. Hopefully that'll drop soon.

17. Diamondius

Diamondius Kobold

Now I divide my time between Guild Wars 2, FTL, Smite, Dota 2 and MechWarrior Online Beta. I am waiting for Dishonored and XCOM games in one week.

I really hope they will be generous with this games beta... I wouldn't really mind buying in for it because it seems very cool. As an indie studio it will prolly take them a fair amount of time to complete the game so the beta would give us something to do and also return them feedback

18. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

So is this a "what games are you playing today" thread? Or a "what games are similar to Card Hunter" thread?

Because I thought it was the latter, in which case I could only advise so much. If it's the former, well, I'd need to write an essay.

Ystin likes this.
  19. Roshirai

Roshirai Goblin Champion

One game that just leapt back onto my radar after extended period of post-Kickstarter radio silence is Banner Saga.

It appears to share some features with Card Hunter: you build a small team of units and fight against other player-built teams in turn-based combat on a grid. The core gameplay is definitely different, though, as rather than "you play a card, I play a card", the game sounds like it uses something like "action points" and a turn timer.

The reason why I'm posting here, however, is the Rock, Paper, Shotgun interview that went up today. It mentions that the way they plan to monetize the free-to-play multiplayer component is simply to let people purchase the soft currency that you earn through play, and just make sure that the matchmaking elements of the game make it so you only fight against equally-powered squads. Seems like it may be worth watching in the context of Card Hunter's impending beta!

Speaking of, said free-to-play multiplayer component is going into an "all-backer beta" soon, as well, so I'll be sure to check it out for you guys and report back. :)

Ystin likes this.
  20. Kaerius

Kaerius Orc Soldier

Well just grabbed a key for the loadout beta... but looks like I'll have to change operating system(or at least make some room and partition off a bit of my harddrive for dual boot).