For the interested: equalizing the XP across your starting party

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Sir Knight, May 1, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I'm sure that anyone who cared about this would already have done something about it, but . . .

If you want to eliminate that XP disparity you get due to picking up your first party members one-by-one, do this:

Play the four tutorial (level 1) adventures and get your full party of three. They will be at:
    Level 2, 8 XP
    Level 2, 0 XP
    Level 1, 0 XP

Wait one day.

Play the four tutorial (level 1) adventures again. Your party will be at:
    Level 3, 2 XP
    Level 2, 16 XP
    Level 2, 8 XP

Play the two level 2 adventures, then JUST ONE level 3 adventure. Your party will be at:
    Level 4, 0 XP
    Level 4, 0 XP
    Level 3, 18 XP

Wait one day.

Play one level 2 adventure again. Your party will be at:
    Level 4, 2 XP
    Level 4, 2 XP
    Level 4, 2 XP

Ta da! Sorry, but unless you want to do crazy math with odd numbers, it's necessary to "wait one day" right there at the start. I also checked other combinations of adventures after that point, and it's terribly inefficient to do other patterns: the above gets you disparity between levels within your party as you go, which is the only way to make up for XP differences.

I hope that people are, at least, amused.

2. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Very nice job as always Sir Knight and while this is mildly relevant at best its worth noting. You can skip the tutorial and get all 3 members right away to get them evenly leveled if you want to.

3. Sir Knight

Pshaw! Pshaw, I say!

4. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Or simply hire an entire new party after completing the tutorial. <_<

The level 2 and 3 Trog adventures are more than capable of being cleared with a fresh, all level 1 party using just the equipment you've pulled from the tutorial.

But yes, I am amused. I've done similar calculations myself. :)

Edited to sound nicer.

5. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

It's awesome how you found this out!

6. Sir Knight

Yes, but in that case, you must understand why I did the math at all. I intend to "play the game," which is to say "do literally everything possible in the entire game, both for playtesting purposes and because it's fun." I will run all nine possible adventurers, and I want to get all of them to the same strength, despite playing the tutorial. This requires equalizing the first three (instead of, say, leaving them alone in my keep to rot, taking up space and interfering with swapping parties). The next six will be easy, of course.

7. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Oh, I'm running all nine as well. Or I will be once I get a few more gold.

8. Bjornel

Bjornel Kobold

Currently I have three groups as well. I still do not know which party I enjoy the most. My 1st classic Elf Warrior/Human Cleric/Human Mage combo, my second Dwarf Warrior and two Elf Mages combo or my last Human warrior/Human priest/Dwarf priest composition. Each of those had some interesting and enjoyable moments.