Firestorm Deck

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Jacques, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Is there an option to play and win consistently other than with three dwarves control wizards? Yes there is. A firestorm deck, that dispite what people usually say, can also be consistent if you play it right. Firestorm decks can also arrive to the top 10.

I decided to post my build because it's effective against this dominant build nowadays (dcw), but it's also good against other builds. Maybe it could encourage players to use something else (excuse me if my english is not the best). And if I could arrive to the top 10 with this deck, anyone can, because I don't even have the best items to run a firestorm deck (what would I give for a Wym's Lavastaff!). I admit I first thought this build wasn't going to be consistent enough, but a have won 19 of my last 20 matches against high ranked enemies and with different kind of builds: dcw, warriors, dwarves, elves, other firestorm decks, cardotron, even wizards with resistant hides.

I play with 2 dwarves wizards and one dwarf priest. Let's go with the items:

Dwarf Priest:

Healing Hand Mace
    Ripping Mace
    Snitrick's Shield
    Holy Breastplate
    Chestnut Boots
    Ring Of Majestic Healing
    Jygpin's Healing Ring
    St Ulrich's Bones
    Untrained Toughness
    Novice Healer

7x Team Heal
    2x Inspiring Presence
    1x Light Heal
    1x Bless
    1x Martyrs Blessing
    1x Cleansing Ray
    2x Healing Spirit
    1x Minor Heal
    3x Holy Armor
    1x Reliable Hide Armor
    1x Shrug It Off
    1x Parry
    2x Purge
    2x Wounded Block
    1x Icy Block
    1x Quick Step
    1x Cautious Sneak
    1x Dangerous Maneuver
    1x Lunging Bash
    2x Mighty Bludgeon
    3x Shredding Strike

The most important cards here are Team Heal, Inspiring Presence and Holy Armor. They are vital for the priest's goal, that is healing. That is why Healing Hand Mace is great for this build, beacuse it provides you three teams heals but also very good attacks in case fire isn't enough. However, it could be replaced by Godtouched Spear.

Ripping Mace is not so great as the other weapon. The best would be to have Knife Of St. Blenko, and use those two tokens somewhere else, but I don't have one. Anyway, it does give you one Inspring Presence and two Purge, that always come in handy. And having three Shredding Strike is not bad, given that enemy's armor could be fatal for this build.

About the two legendaries items, Ring Of Majestic Healing and Snitrick's Shield, don't worry beacuse they are replaceable. Especially the last one; you could easily use something like Spellthwart Shield, given that most of the players use wizards. And you can trade the first one for another Jygpin's Healing Ring.

Let's go with the two wizards now:

Dwarf Wizard 1

Staff Of The Inferno
    Staff Of Winter
    Magma Scepter
    Banik's Bubbling Bauble
    Banik's Bubbling Bauble
    Chartwell's Ring
    Tempest Robes
    Goat Boots
    Perfect Toughness
    Focused Pyromancy

7x Firestorm
    2x Ember Burst
    2x Combustible
    4x Forst Jolt
    1x Chilling Rime
    1x Cold Snap
    1x Volcano
    1x Burning Fingers
    2x Telekinesis
    2x Improved Telekinesis
    1x Short Perplexing Ray
    1x Whirlwind
    1x Whirlwind Enemies
    1x Resistant Hide
    1x Weak Armor
    1x Rusty Armor
    1x Dangerous Move
    1x Inmovable
    2x Toughness
    3x Firestarter

Dwarf wizard 2

Staff Of The Inferno
    Staff Of Winter
    Magma Scepter
    Banik's Bubbling Bauble
    Crown Of Mad Eskin
    Stookster's Amulet
    Tempest Robes
    Goat Boots
    Perfect Toughness
    Focused Pyromancy

6x Firestorm
    2x Ember Burst
    2x Combustible
    4x Forst Jolt
    1x Chilling Rime
    1x Cold Snap
    1x Volcano
    1x Burning Fingers
    2x Telekinesis
    1x Improved Telekinesis
    1x Short Perplexing Ray
    1x Whirlwind
    1x Whirlwind Enemies
    1x Resistant Hide
    1x Weak Armor
    1x Rusty Armor
    1x Hotspot
    1x Arcane Spray
    1x Dangerous Move
    1x Inmovable
    2x Toughness
    3x Firestarter

As you can see, they are eseantially the same but for two items, and that is because I don't have another Banik's Bubbling Bauble or Chartwell's Ring, otherwise they would be exactly the same. Also, they don't use all of the yellow tokens, just two of them. You don't need more than that.

The first thing you might notice is the Staff Of The Inferno. Is it a great weapon for a Firestorm deck? Definitely not. Those 2 Combustible are pretty bad, and that was the reason I thought this build would not be consistent enough, especially against high ranked players. But it turned out that between your priest's heal, plus his/her 3 Holy Armor, and your wizard's Resistant Hide and Toughness you can manage to stay alive while you do the damage to your enemies. However, it is obvious that it would be much better to have a Wym's Lavastaff (that is the best possible weapon for this build), or alternatively a Mullik's Blisterstaff or a Black Walnut Staff. My point here is that you don't need the best possible items to run a firestorm deck and be consistent with it.

The snow is essential to keep your enemies out of range, and the Staff Of Winter is the best of them in my opinion. Telekinesis and Improved Telekinesis are also important for this meaning, as this build doesn't have Winds Of War.

About the arcane items, there are a lot of them with one Firestorm, but very few with two. One of them is Chartwell's Ring. Two Firestorm and a Short Perplexing Ray in the same item, and tokenless! Anyway, as this is a legendary item and it is very difficult to find, you can replace it like I did in the second wizard with Stookster's Amulet or some other tokenless item that provides you with one Firestorm (there are at least 4 or 5 of them, some epic and some rare).

Tempest Robes is a good robe because it has Resistant Hide and also Whirlwind and that is good to have in case of emergency. If you don't like these last cards, a common Imp-proof Robes should work, and those two extra Reliable Hide Armor could help you to reduce the damage of your Firestorms. Firehide Robes is a good option as well, but that is an epic item and much harder to find.

Don't think I should add much more, I just wanted to show that there is a valid and consistent (and with the right cards it could be much more consistent) way to play other than with three wizards with a lot of traits, Winds of War and Wall of Fire or with two or three warriors with tons of Nimble Strikes. Try it out and have fun!

turinturamba likes this.
  2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Thanks for the guide, I could basically build this if I wanted. Looks like it doesn't even use that much Inspiring Presence... ;) @ devs. :p

How high did you get in the rankings with this, out of curiosity?

3. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

You're welcome. Yes, fortunately it's not difficult to build and play, unless you want the best possible items. I think I got near the 1700, around 1680 I would say. The problem is that when you loose a match with this ranking you go down a lot, that is why a want that wym's lavastaff so bad ;D. If I could remove those combustible it would be great.

4. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

One thing you might try is to stack all of the Combustible onto one of the wizards, that way it pushes the old copy off, rather than damaging *both* wizards.

5. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

I may try that, Avarice. The problem is that if I do that, then the wizard that has more firestorms is the one that is in danger because then it would be very likely for combustible to appear, having 4 in that wizard's deck. The ultimate solution is to farm for that Wym's Lavastaff :p