Festering Guts - Is this broken or what?

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by DirtWolf, Aug 22, 2015.

1. DirtWolf

DirtWolf War Monkey

Why can't I remove festering guts with purge? Purge only seems to remove enemy controlled cards placed on a player's characters. However, according to this thread, this was supposed to be fixed such that purge will remove cards which are "enemy to the caster."

It seems the only way to counter festering guts is to keep a wizard alive and well and hit a festering zombie with ranged attacks. IMHO, festering guts is way too overpowered. I'm really hating Return to Woodhome at the moment as a result. :/

Please be gentle on me if there is something obvious that I'm simply not seeing. I'm still quite new to the game and am only at Level 10 as I play this adventure.

SlowComputer likes this.
  2. Wocket

Wocket Orc Soldier

You've pretty much got it right. Only thing I can add is that if the enemy clusters, since the 18 damage applies to ALL units, you can clear a large majority of a map with a timely warrior sacrifice.

You're also approaching the part where 2/1/0 builds might be more useful than 1/1/1. Make sure to keep any decent spare equips handy, it pays off in the long run IMO.

Also, if you can stack enough attachments, it discards oldest ones after three. Probably not terribly useful at that level, but can be. Also, you can just kite around with him one hit from dead until the moment is right. Zombies are hella slow.

3. DirtWolf

DirtWolf War Monkey

Ah, I am running a 1/1/1 build at the moment with a Human Warrior, Dwarf Wizard and Elf Priest. Any good recommendations for a 2/1/0 build? I have the starter pack that Gary gives you when you hit Renown 5 and enter the MP lounge. I'm literally in the middle of the second battle for Return to Woodhome so I can't quite remember which characters the starter pack gives you. I want to say it's Dwarf Warrior, Elf Wizard and Human Priest. I would be willing to spend gold on whatever races for a given class that are going to make SP a little bit less of a challenge, though.

At this point, I'm not worried about MP yet. I'm not even sure if I'll ever play much MP. I tend to get my butt handed to me in MP, so I generally shy away and stick to SP. :p

4. It's acid damage. A wizard with resistant hide will be unharmed; so will anybody with an impenetrable nimbus (see: shielding tokens, which provide two for a minor token).

Also, you should have access to pushes and slide-back (gusts of wind, winds of war, teleport and the like). Warriors, though, will indeed be less useful here (unless nimbused) due to the radius-2 blast equally ranging any melee weapon you can bring.

5. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Festering Guts has a duration of 3, so it does expire. Festering Zombies have 4 Festering Guts cards in a deck of 28, so it rarely stays off very long. If you have the patience you can stab them down to a 1-shot health level, then kill them when Festering Guts expires.

The 1/1/1 you're using sounds like a pretty good mix.

Stabs are always a plus versus zombies, but you'll need crushing for the skellies. Bashes can work for either, and vampiric attacks work against just about anything. Arcane attacks aren't stopped by Resistant Hide. You probably already knew this, but just in case ...

These days I run RTW with a 2 Wiz/Priest (all dwarf) Firestorm/Volcano (and armor removal) build, but it takes a while to build up to that.

RTW map 2 is one of the two SP maps where you can begin with characters pinned by the enemy, and, as a result, can be extremely frustrating. Good luck!

DirtWolf and Wocket like this.
  6. SlowComputer

SlowComputer Kobold

We can agree that the card is very strong, but we will manage to go around Festering guts, the same way we learned how to dominate Cardotron2000.

The main issue for us is to understand WHY PURGE DOESN'T WORK ? Is it broken?
    Clearly this card is misclassified as an handicap.
    And Blind Rage?
    Devs want to make us believe that not purging Blind Rage is "good for us"!

Lack of text leads to: not knowing the outcome of some moves before we try them, and that's why new players are owned by the elders.

7. ttsukasa

ttsukasa Mushroom Warrior

purge removes YOUR handicaps and enemy attached cards.

Radiation cards are the ENEMIES handicap cards given to you. so purge doesn't remove them.

8. SlowComputer

SlowComputer Kobold

From most people's point of view, Festering Guts doesn't feel like an handicap, but a boost for Festering Zombie; similar to Death Meld.
    As i posted before, it seems to be "misclassified".

I'm not worried about the campaign myself. I'm just afraid many new players giving up the game because it gets too hard, complicated and sometimes misleading.
    Who never lost a ranked game because self-purged Blind Rage from his own vampire? or tryed to Purge it from the enemy?
    Blind Rage is classified as an Hybrid: Boost, Handicap. Being a Boost in first place.

Same with Step Attaks. Why are they treated as normal movement cards? since they are mainly attacks, and the move component is only a side effect?

Of course the elite don't want to change it now!
    We all benefict from it after we learned how it actually works!

9. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I agree that festering guts should be a boost-handicap instead of handicap but the example you gave is bad because death meld can't heal the enemies(in the campaign that refers to the player).
    Step Attacks are fine being both types because they do both things.
    The elites do want purge to be changed.

10. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I haven't polled all the players, so I can't speak about most people's point of view. I certainly don't believe Festering Guts is comparable to Death Meld, but it is a bit of an odd duck. I wouldn't consider it a boost, but a hybrid handicap/attack attachment, which doesn't currently exist as a class.
    When used by the AI, it is often a serious handicap. When I was running the campaign with 3 elf wizards I made a game of kiting all my opponents into a herd while wearing down the festering zombies, and taking them all out at once with one shot causing chained explosions. I obviously had a lot of time to kill.
    Since Festering Guts can be attached to players via radiation, Cardhuntria now has suicide bombers. (Personal opinion: I dislike CH radiation effects as a whole. I'm probably in the minority, and I'm accustomed to that.) Making it a hybrid handicap/attack attachment, and purging all attachments with an attack component from both friend and foe would be my preference.
    I haven't, and I bet a heck of a lot of other players haven't either: some people just don't run vamps in MP. ;) I see what you're getting at, but with the popularity of Accelerate Time, I'd definitely want to be able to purge Blind Rage from my characters.
    I disagree. Step Attacks can be used simply as move cards, and the attack cancelled. This leads me to believe that the move is the primary effect, and the attack is secondary. There is probably also a programming element of [Do This] <Then> [Do This] to account for.
    The only elite in the game I know of is Jon. He's the game pro. Are you referring to high elo players? Players who know how things work? Players who can access VIP chat and get free epic chests? Dunno. Whatever.
    CH is a fairly complex game, so a learning curve is involved. If you take the game seriously and want to understand how things work, read Scarponi's FAQ in the forum. The Gotcha! thread and Card Synergies And Tips thread are also good sources. I'm not a student of the game, I play for fun. I don't even read most of the cards until I've had my arse handed to me about a half dozen times. But I have discovered that if one actually reads and comprehends the card text, most things work exactly as the cards say they do. I think Purge effects are still in work, though. I don't envy Jon the job of getting the code and ownership all sorted.

Robauke and Xayrn like this.
  11. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

In fact if you don't use the attack part then if you used a minion it doesn't get exhausted!
    Yes I am just referring to high skill players.

Sir Veza likes this.
  12. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Is my anti-elitism showing again? :rolleyes:

13. Yxklyx

Yxklyx Mushroom Warrior

Back to Festering Guts - can you win a battle if you kill the last Festered Gut and all your characters are within its range ready to die? What's the order of events?

14. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

The character with the attachement dies last, or at least death is a chain of events that only ends when the acid effect was processed. That includes damaging and killing everything around.
    So you would lose in your scenario.

Btw as ultimate Elite Player, i indeed would like to see the current purge remain untouched.

15. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

So you support it not removing enemy controlled cards that have the type handicap?

16. Rebel7284

Rebel7284 Ogre

Not sure this is accurate.

It seems that after killing the first surrounding character, the game THEN kills the original zombie before killing the remaining zombie targets.

Was never sure if it's a bug or a feature or based on positioning.

17. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Are you sure the remaining zombies were going to die? If they had Resistant Hide they wouldn't take any damage (though you should have heard the armor sound).

18. Fanturluche

Fanturluche Thaumaturge

I think the game check if a player has no characters left every time someone dies. If you kill the last zombie, if it kill one character but the ennemy has not won, the game sees no ennemies is alive and you win before it kills anyone else (unless ennemies respawn).
    I just tested this theory. Add respawnPeriodOne tag to this scenario and kill the zombie with guts, you loose. Without the tag you win.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Sir Veza likes this.
  19. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

I tried the scenario and can confirm this behaviour. Without the respawn tag, Festering Guts first kills the character who attacked the zombie, then the scenario immediately shows the victory screen. With the respawn tag all characters are killed and the game ends in defeat.

I also noticed this recently when playing in the campaign. I had two characters within FG range with a single zombie left. I killed it and only the character who attacked was removed from the board before the victory screen popped up. I thought this was strange because I have definitely lost fights in the past (although possibly only back in beta) when FG triggered and killed multiple of my characters before the final zombie was removed.

Edit: From doing a search on Festering Guts (and going back before all the Aloyzo's Arsenal thread posts!) I'm pretty sure FG used to resolve completely before the zombie was removed and victory conditions were checked. I wonder if this changed when the respawning mechanic was introduced?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  20. Dwedit

Dwedit Goblin Champion

Festering Guts does have the odditity where when you kill something, the damage to everything else happens FIRST, then the monster death processes. This makes it all the more powerful in multiplayer.