[Feedback] Not enough power tokens

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Doctor Blue, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier

I can't seem to make a build I really like because of not having enough power tokens. I feel very limited. I don't know about you guys, but I think we should have more to play with. Or, better yet, just remove them completely. I don't get why they're there anyway.

Just my thoughts...

2. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

They are there so people can't just drop all of the most powerful items on a character. A balancing mechanism... which is likely why you aren't feeling like you can make something over powered! :)

It's about trade-offs and choices.

3. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier

What would be wrong with using the most powerful gear? Since all gear is obtainable for all players, eventually everyone will have the best gear in the game. What would be wrong with best gear vs. best gear? That wouldn't be balanced? Surely you don't think that just randomly picking the "best" gear would be viable against someone who actually put some thought into their decks and plays with strategy, correct? You would still have to pick gear accordingly, not just what's considered "best".

4. Bradford

Bradford Mushroom Warrior

I feel very limited too, but that's the point. The fun of deckbuilding (and strategy gaming in general) is being forced to make difficult choices.

Tasmanian Devil likes this.
  5. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier

I'm not having much fun not being able to pick the gear I want. :confused:

6. Bradford

Try a change of perspective, maybe? Deckbuilding is essentially a game or puzzle in itself, so treat it as a challenge. "I can't equip all of the items you want, so... should I use this great armor or this really powerful shield? Which items can I substitute with lower-level alternatives? Well... this other weapon is similar but has a drawback... Hey, maybe I can mitigate that drawback if I equip..."

I can't emphasize enough how much fun this sort of thing is for me (and I assume many others).

7. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier

All I'm saying is, removing power tokens wouldn't unbalance anything. No player would be OP because every player could use any piece of gear they wanted to. At most it would be OP vs. OP, which in turn is actually balanced. So, if there wouldn't be any side effects, why not just remove them then? Why not give players the freedom to build any deck they want to?

They probably won't ever be removed, I know that, but I think we should at least get 1 more gold and blue token at level 18. I would be happy with that.

8. Unlucky Scarecrow

Unlucky Scarecrow Goblin Champion

We understand your point of view, but the power tokens aren't just "a limit on how OP you can be". It forces a character to pick a specialty and direction. Instead of just having triple A items across the board and being a master of every role, you need to decide; What's more important? Do you want your wizard to have a good set of attack cards and spend a bunch of tokens on staffs, or is he playing support and putting those power tokens in arcane items instead? It creates variety in character builds and tactics, instead of everybody just being a master of all of the potential things they could feasibly do. It also gives value to lower level items, so that pulling a random item is never a matter of "If it's too low level, it's automatically junk"

9. Bradford

I thought I just explained why. To be honest I would also question their usefulness as a balancing mechanism (if that even is their original purpose). Listen, the best strategy games provide the player with meaningful, difficult choices. The power token system provides that in spades. You might not like the system (in which case this game might simply not be for you), but you would be wrong to claim they don't serve any purpose.

Edit: Unlucky Scarecrow raised some really great points as well.

10. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier

I guess I'm alone on this one. Oh well. :cool:

11. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

You're not alone in feeling restricted. But that's the point of the design. Otherwise you'll have the same character with the same items for everyone. Then it's just about the random numbers for the most part. That's not fun for anyone. If you have to make choices, many of them, you're going to make different choices than someone else.

It's the same reason why everyone can't use all equipment on all character classes. There are 3 to choose from, you only get 3. Take your pick.

Tasmanian Devil likes this.
  12. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier

Nope. People would still pick different gear to suit their style, just without the restriction from power tokens.

It's not the same at all. Different gear for different classes/races makes perfect sense and adds versatility to the game. Power tokens just feel like an annoying restriction.

13. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

There would be very little variation once the 'top gear' is identified by the multiplayer community -- assuming you can get the items.

But that's exactly the reason for the power tokens. It also restricts items by character level allowing for varied options and strategies as you gain levels. It would be a much less interesting game if a group of level 1 characters could go running around with all of your lvl 18 gear don't you think?

14. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier

There's already going to be little variation. That's how these games go - find the best gear, use it. The power tokens not being there wouldn't change that. In fact, it would be more varied without them since you wouldn't be restricted.

Pretend the power tokens weren't there right now. Would you go and change your builds and swap with the "best" gear you have/can find? No, you wouldn't. You would pick the gear that's optimal for the build you wanna go for. And you would probably win more than not against someone who just picked the "best" gear.

You mean in the campaign? Yeah, that would be silly. Lol. I'm talking about maxed levels in MP.

15. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

Deck building would be lot less interisting. Now you have to make choices between different slots, without limitations it would be only between items in the same slot.

Not to mention that removing limitations would make 90% of the items useless. Sure legendary lvl 3 armor is nifty, or epic lvl 12 boots. But only because there's limitations. Both of those are only usefull because they have smaller token requirements.

16. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier

For who? I would find it more interesting.

Nope.

I'm currently using gear which doesn't require tokens, and not because it doesn't require tokens, but because that gear goes well with my setup. Again, removing tokens wouldn't remove strategy. People would still use the lower level/non-epic/rare gear.

17. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

Only because they don't have suitable higher level stuff. Or if itemization is lacking. But there should always be better lvl 17-18 item.

18. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

How would it be more interesting? Easier obviously, but removing majority of the choosing situations would make it lot less interesting in my books. Without tokens every choice would be between two items, with tokens you'll have to consider atleast 4 items when you change item with different tokens.

19. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Removing power tokens talents or what ever you want to call it would change the game drastically for the worse. They are there for a few reasons and they serve those reasons perfectly.

20. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier