Everyone loves Parries

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Magic Elves, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

Most of you probably already know about my opinion on elf warriors. For those of you who don't, I'm not fond of them. After facing the same 2war 1priest deck three times in a row, I channeled my hate for the current meta into a deck, and this deck happened. It contains no epic or legendary items, so almost anyone can create this deck, which I recently got to 1500 with and is still going up.

Tactical Retreat
    Level 5 Elf Warrior

Repeat this elf twice more and voila, you have something everyone will love to hate.

Why I chose this stuff:

Parrying Buckler: Standard equipment for being a jerk to warriors, deck cycling.
    Blocking Maces: Nonstandard equipment for being a jerk for warriors, deck cycling, doing lots of damage.
    Double-Edged Sword: Standard equipment for being a long range jerk to warriors and getting too close to wizards.
    Vibrant Plate: Nonstandard equipment for running very quickly and being a jerk to wizards.
    Helmet of Thorns: These elves don't actually have many attacks, so Ouch doesn't hurt much and can be reduced by armor. War Cry is also extremely handy for being a jerk to warriors that think they're safe.
    Goat Boots: Immovable for being a jerk to control wizards, only one move so you don't constantly draw shuffles.
    Cautious Mobility: Flee from sources of damage, run towards attacking wizards very quickly, be a jerk to everyone ever.
    Novice Impaler: So your stabbing can do more damage. Only item in the deck that's not very jerky.

Strategies against common decks:

Average 2war 1priest decks:
    Parry everything, deck cycling to maximum. I've hit the draw limit multiple times against these. Use your mobility to attack anything that seems vulnerable at the time.

Warriors with Nimble Strike: Either stay armored or block the strikes, then run away when you run out of them.

Wizards: Rush them hilariously fast, attack from range 2 and corner them against walls, drink their tears. When a team with 21 parries can beat rather good wizards, you know something may be a slight problem.

Vampire Priests: Block all attempts to heal, take them out in 2-3 strikes.

Entangling Roots Priests???: You are doomed. Play a different deck until you stop seeing cool yet ineffective decks like these.

People that figure out not to attack you: Pretend you have parries, even when you don't. Take possession of the victory squares before they can. Don't let them behind you.

Suggestions and comments are always welcome!

Drakkan, PDXTai, Xyuta and 4 others like this.
  2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Not exactly. Good post though!

3. Bard of Prey

Bard of Prey Orc Soldier

I like it. Channeling hate into something productive is one of my favourite things to see. :D

Sir Veza likes this.
  4. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

a 1250 elo guy gave me a link to here and said he was using it so it was 3 warrior vs 2 warrior/1 preist and... i won! - so its not really too effective (at least against my warrior deck) :p

5. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

Like most decks I play, I have absolutely no idea how it will perform in other people's hands. This is because I'm a defensive player. Most of my decks revolve around either the element of surprise, the ability to fake out/predict the opponent, or defend against anything that they can throw at you with offense coming after they've used their cards, and this deck falls into all three categories. Most of the people I played against with this deck didn't stop attacking the parries, and whenever I ran out of blocks I ran away to swap in a new elf. Even though it's a three warrior deck, playing offensively will often leave you in a very bad situation.

Sir Veza, Mr. Magnifico and Flaxative like this.
  6. BlackVoidDeath

The guy rushed VP squares but i got there faster - even though he was first to move. And moved back his two (injured) elves :p (one of which i hunted down and killed)

7. Kernwolfe

Kernwolfe Kobold

Hmmm.... I can vouch for this deck. It takes a bit of getting use to with the movements and limited attacks. There is a learning curve to it. Typically I am a casual player with limited time and limited access to many of the items used by some of the more dedicated and serious players. Since the deck is low tech and can generate card advantage and card disadvantage for ones opponent by cycling and parries, it has an appeal, at least for me. There certainly is a technique which in all honesty makes sense for Elves. Tricky tricky elves.

Lets look at the numbers based on my experience. Normally, I ranged between high 1100's and low 1300's. Using either a 1/1/1/ or 2 war, 1 priest set up, with the best equipment I can piece together. I had 12 straight wins with this deck. Rating at time of writing this is now 1497 with 21 wins today. In fact, I beat a player in the top 10 overall, barely, but it happened.

Magic Elves did a great job making a low tech deck for the current rotation and one win against it does not tell the full story.

Probably will be changing up decks now since it will start getting used more often and counters will known.

PS: Mr. Void. I checked todays matches and the time stamp on your posting above. So let me clarify a few things. You asked the questions regarding this deck and seemed interested. I would say shocked by the ineffectiveness of your warriors attacks. I gave credit to it creator. You "asked" for the link. Basically, in my opinion you got a lucky shot in while I was fumbling and distracted looking for the link - for you. Won 9 straight after you. Additionally if I remember correctly Goat Boots and Helmet of thorns "do not count" cause everyone has them. Pretty sure my ELO was never at 1250 anytime during the day today. Absolutely sure actually.

......and it is very effective. numbers don't lie.

8. BlackVoidDeath

I hope you know you are not the only person who is using this deck and who i played vs who was using this deck :p - as Magic Elves said its easy to create and has only 2 rares so it might even be used by 1000 elo players :)