Damage Bragging - All-Out Attack

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Mutak, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Mutak

Mutak Goblin Champion

I just did 56 damage in one shot to one of Gary's elves. It was a lucky draw of 3 All Out Attacks and a Vicious Thrust (7 damage). Since i had no other buffs and it wasn't a huge damage card to start with, i'm sure others have gone higher. What's your record one-attack damage total?

It was funny, but made me start thinking about the card more. I know it's good (i put as many as i could in the deck for a reason) but maybe a little too good. Buff bonus damage is added after doubling, which is good, but i think all-out should probably be reworked to only add the base damage every time. It's not a big issue since it relies on such a specific draw, but it's pretty disheartening to see a warrior one-shotted.
    To clarify - Currently, if you have a 7 damage attack and 2 all-out attacks, it works out like this: (7 x2) x2) = 28 damage.
    I think it should be: 7 + 7 + 7 = 21 damage - still pretty formiddable, but not ridiculous.

As an experienced gamer and a math/computer guy, i've been trained to spot this: any time a game is dominated by addition and subtraction, something that does multiplication should make your ears perk up. If it involves exponentiation, it's almost guaranteed to be broken.

2. Gentley

Gentley Kobold

I was unaware of it working that way and i totally agree with you.

3. Baelnor

Baelnor Kobold

Hmm, it shouldn't stack exponentially, but, that said, a 3 all attack + mighty hack will still one shot anything unless blocked

4. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

I agree, it should work off the base damage rather than being exponential.

5. Gentley

Gentley Kobold

Yes, but the likelyhood to get 3 of them at once is probably exponentially lower than getting just 2, which is enough if it stacks like it does right now.

6. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I've had multiple characters (dwarves, even) one-shotted by stacked all-out attacks. I would be a huge fan of switching to addition rather than multiplication.

7. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

It's not so powerful, good but nothing else.
    Remember that it triggers on your first played attack: you have to call your luck to avoid blocks (a must in PvE).
    Better use in the Campaign.

8. Gentley

Gentley Kobold

I would agree with you if it wasnt for the fact that there are tons of ways to make sure that there will be no block.

9. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

...and step attacks make avoiding blocks not so hard. And as Gently said, lots of ways to get around/remove blocks.

10. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

But then you're "wasting" the All Out Attack on a step attack. And/or using turns to get rid of blocks.

Hard to say if it's OP or not. Atleast my dwarf warrior is bit wary at parking beside enemy warriors, which is actually a good thing.

11. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Yes, yes, the "but there are counters!" argument is one that goes in circles forever. I've gotten dragged into such things way too many times. When there AREN'T enough counters is the greater concern; hence, for instance, the discussions about Encumber being overpowered.

For Blocks: don't forget the people complaining that Blocks make you completely and utterly invincible and there's no practical way to get around them. Yes, we know they're wrong, but that still means Blocking is a viable strategy.

Anyway. I wouldn't complain if All Out Attack were changed to add the base damage instead of multiply. As noted, incorporating a different type of math (multiplication in a world of addition) is a really tricky thing to balance.

Tasmanian Devil likes this.
  12. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

I agree, and feel that simple addition would work best. Adding the base damage would limit the shear ridiculousness that can be achieved. Currently, it is possible to, and I will work on getting my damage in the four digit range (with video) this weekend.

Tasmanian Devil likes this.
  13. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

I'm still working on the golden quadrupedal digit damage. However, I wanted to share footage of what can be achieved if you set your cards to it! But I figure 544 damage was worth mentioning. :D

So.. All Out Attack may need to be modified, or at least I think it should.

14. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

I bet that door was gutted it failed its armour roll...

Good luck with the hunt for four digit damage!

15. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Now the video works for me nice one! Also now i know how you sound while your kicking my ass so i don't have to imagine it any more.

Lance likes this.
  16. Kablizzy

Kablizzy Orc Soldier

Phaselock just pointed me here - Had a 71-point Obliterating Bludgeon tonight; Two AoEs and then a Mass Frenzy atop it.

ParodyKnaveBob and Pengw1n like this.
  17. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

OUCH.

18. Sir Kookus

Sir Kookus Mushroom Warrior

it sucks when you hit someone in the back with an AOA or two and they have cushioning

19. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

Talk about necromancy...

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.