Could someone explain Stuck Arrow to me?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Guises, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Guises

Guises Goblin Champion

So there's this card, Stuck Arrow which is only found on epic and legendary items, including one of the treasure hunt rewards, and as near as I can tell it's just awful. Maybe I don't understand it, but I can't envision a scenario where using of these items would be a good idea. Could someone explain it to me? Am I missing something?

I generally expect epics and legendaries to be decent at least. Especially the treasure hunt one - why would I buy a treasure hunt for an awful item?

2. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Stuck arrow is equivalent to parry for melee with the added advantage of being able to push out attachments from your char. The price for it is encumber 1. Naturally, best used for elves/humans/high mobility builds. Because it happens as a block, the opponent trying to kite/finish you off using debuffs has a harder time doing so.

3. Jotun

Jotun Mushroom Warrior

If your team has lots of mobility cards (why won't they) and are not dwarves, encumber 1 is nothing really.

Its a block card that you don't have to hold in your hand, so it gives you a sort of virtual card advantage. Its not some sort of super card, but its decent.

4. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

I had no idea that it continued to block attacks while it is attached to you, that is kind of fantastic.

5. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Wow, you sure this triggers from attachment as that would be awesome? I've never had cause to believe this card actually worked that way - but IF this is the case then that's quite interesting. Any debunk / confirmation available? I lack the card in my current playthrough.

6. progammer

progammer Ogre

Im pretty sure it doesnt work that way. Hit The Deck is a similar card/ Once it is attached, it function only with the 2nd effect. Block is supposed to discard the card. The strength of Stuck Arrow is the low roll number of 2

7. Pengw1n

Yeah, sounds about right - would be crazy good if was otherwise.

8. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

Encumber is bearable for ordinary movement, but it completely ruins most step-attacks. I don't like being hit by Chilling Rime, and I can tell you it isn't the 2 points of damage that bothers me...

As for it being 'a block card that you don't have to hold in your hand', I'm pretty sure you're mistaken about that.

I don't really see how a player could leverage the attachment effect to be beneficial. You don't get to choose when it is attached, and so you can't really control it to push out something you don't want. In fact, I think it's far more likely to push out one of your own team's helpful attachments – because the primary way an enemy gets negative attachments onto your character is through spells & projectiles, and those are exactly what Stuck Arrow blocks. So it seems fair more likely that stuck arrow will trigger on the first or second attachment that the enemy plays against you. To push something off, it would have to trigger on the forth, and that seem pretty unlikely.

I was thinking about this card yesterday, and my decision was that unless you can get a few Arrogant Armor cards in your deck, you probably won't want to use Stuck Arrow. In my opinion, the encumber effect should be changed to only last 1 round rather than 2 so that the card is a bit more viable.

PIZZA likes this.
  9. Guises

Guises Goblin Champion

Frankly, even this wouldn't do it for me. If this is supposed to be the ranged equivalent of Parry then, like parry, I want an extra card.

Admittedly, parry is kinda crazy good. Stuck Arrow wouldn't have to be that good before it was usable, but the encumber is already ensuring that.

10. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Ngween drew Dash.
    Ngween drew Stuck Arrow.
    Ngween drew Lunging Hack.
    Rikzilxian zaps Ngween
    Ngween blocks, but gets fouled up!
    Little Zap was cancelled.
    phaselock passed.
    Rikzilxian shoots sparks at Ngween
    Ngween took 2 Electrical damage.

Stuck Arrow triggered and attached to Ngween, then got hit with a Spark. Stuck Arrow does not re-trigger when attached.

I have used stuck arrow to deliberately face off the ogre shaman who likes to stack dastardly curses, bad luck, debuffs etc before delivering the heavy blow. It doesn't generally happen in the turn of debuffs but when you do get stuck arrow and the priests gets his buffs, its a comeback power turn. And I believe there are players who prefer strategic attachment playstyles which is a subtle MP approach ...Shrugs, to each his own.

Pengw1n likes this.
  11. Jotun

Jotun Mushroom Warrior

wow it got stuff pretty badly mistaken. Ignore everything.

12. Pengw1n

Don't feel bad. In case you had been right, that would really have changed my value of the card - discussing and learning how cards work is part of the meta.

13. Will-

Will- Kobold

Only seems viable with Arrogant armour and a comp not focused around buffs. As most the time I'm running a buff based team (at least in PvE) it has just never seemed viable for me.

When you add on all the encumbers potentially in PvP you can turn an annoying encumber into one that shuts you down if your opponent plays it right.