Control Variation - Running a warrior with control dwarves.

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Stormyknight, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Stormyknight

Stormyknight Orc Soldier

So this is my take on control dwarves running a mage hunter killer and some whirlwind recovery.

Its a pretty specific build using some specific stuff which you might be able to sub in but maybe not since the tokens only just work out on the warrior.

Im sitting around 1450-1500 but i have beaten people all the way to 1600+ with this deck.
    Its got lots of utility, encumbers, team moves and dwarf goodness.

[​IMG]

Aerith Gainsborough
    Level 12 Dwarf Wizard

[​IMG]

Magni Bronzebeard
    Level 1 Dwarf Wizard

[​IMG]

Arthur Pendragon
    Level 8 Dwarf Warrior

So general control dwarves to manipulate the opposition and then a warrior to get in there and finish them off.

Whirlwind isnt that much of an issue with the rushing aura's, team moves, wow and spr's. infact ive won a few games from ducking some of those wwe and using it right back on them.

Sometimes i wish the duck was a toughness but then others duck has saved me and won the game. That and i cant manage the tokens to fit it in anyway.

Build speaks for itself on how to use it. Move in cautiously but try to gain early position without over extending. Slink around and encumber them and soften them up while you move your warrior slowly in for the kills. The warrior should mostly be sitting around biding time which will come sooner or later as you cant just sit idly by with control as they will drain you pretty quick.

I use him to block enemies flanking the wizards or to tank a VP for a turn or two and soak some damage. he can be thrown around using your own wow's also for maximum dwarven carnage and one of the most effective moves is to encumber enemy dwarves, perplex them and then wind them right onto your warrior for the kill, works a charm.

2. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

3. Stormyknight

Stormyknight Orc Soldier

Hey thanks for the input greatly appreciated, i chose this helmet because it gives me a few things. A dodge because you can never not be hit enough, the team scuttle has saved my wizards from enemy warriors and from being encumbered in lava a bunch of times and the rushing aura just gets him to where he is going that much faster and nothing is scary like a dwarf with walk 4 then nimble striking you.

Ive looked at changing things around for like savvy attacker but i dont need more move then i have as the move is generaly only beneficial for the warrior because your wizards all hop around the same area for most of the match. So the scuttle made sense to me aswell as the rushing aura because hey walk 2 sucks.. and the dodge is just an added defense bonus and nothing brings me more joy then pulling a bunch of hard to pins with ducks in hand and a dodge while your trying to tank on a VP.

Boots are about the same, i dont need the movement so that leaves me auras, armor and self moves on the boots which again are not as much use as the helm. If there was a better replacement i would drop the helm but even just for the scuttle, being able to pull a wizard out of being fully surrounded is sometimes a life saver.

Flaxative likes this.
  4. Looks pretty good to me.

That warrior has some insane damage cards. I cannot believe that The Strongarm is a tokenless weapon. I definitely wouldn't want to fight that guy with my control wizards.

Have you considered using Sticky Slippers and Stoutness? Those would give you 4 copies of Immovable, which is the awesome anti-control trait your warrior is missing. That would of course mean you lose some other things but do you really need that many movement cards seeing you have Vibrant Pain? And having immovable would mean that you would not need as much movement cards.

Also, have you tried this without the volcanoes? I would imagine having more encumber would make it easier for the warrior to hit his target, then again volcanoes are no joke either.

5. ArcadianRook

ArcadianRook Goblin Champion

Any suggestions for those of us who don't have a Strongarm or Vibrant Pain?

6. Stormyknight

Stormyknight Orc Soldier

you can go with blazing shortsword and lochaber axe would nearly be the same just not as legendary..

7. ArcadianRook

ArcadianRook Goblin Champion

... and for those of us WITHOUT Lochaber?
    :(

8. Stormyknight

Stormyknight Orc Soldier

you could try rageblood but your movement is nearly cut in half then, he really only works as a mage hunter because of the movement otherwise he is just another bruiser and likely to get zapped burned and frozen to death before he gets anywhere.