computer shuts down mid-game

Discussion in 'Support' started by MindsEye, Oct 12, 2013.

1. MindsEye

MindsEye Kobold

Hello,

I have been enjoying playing card hunter. About 5-6 times my computer will spontaneously shut down in a middle of a game. It doesn't reboot. Sometimes just before shutting down I will get a message that I need to plug in a wireless modem to connect to the network. I have had my computer shut down a few times in the last few years - but that is rare. But this game seems to cause it to do so. I don't think I have any temperature problems. I'm not sure if anyone can help me. But I wanted to try.

I've played in google chrome and internet explorer. I have windows vista home edition.

MindsEye

2. j-wiz

j-wiz Blue Manchu Staff Member

It sounds like that may be an issue with your network adapter or driver, especially with the error about needing to plug in a wireless modem.

I'd start by checking the Event Log in Windows to see if it's reporting any errors that might give some hints about why it's shutting down.

3. MindsEye

MindsEye Kobold

Thanks for replying.

I checked the Event Log in windows and I had some errors on boot, but not before when the shutdown happened. I looked up my network drivers in device manager and I didn't see any errors, and the automatic update option didn't find new drivers.

Just before I started having problems I had some windows updates install. So I tried uninstalling all of those. A few I didn't have an option to uninstall so I did a system restore, but that didn't get rid of my windows updates.

I turned off my anti-virus and spyware suite. And so far I have not had any problems since turning it off. I'm crossing my fingers that was the solution. Of course I will need to find a work - around so I get virus and spyware protection.

4. Boris

Boris Kobold

Have you checked the temperatures of your CPU? Card hunter can work the CPU quite a bit so it's possible, if you haven't cleaned out your computer in a while, that it's causing the CPU to hit it's hardware safety limit then powering off.

5. MindsEye

MindsEye Kobold

I seems that respite from shut down didn't last. So it turned out it wasn't the anti-virus & spyware protection. I did end up checking my cpu temperature right after shutdown & I checked it from a restart from windows. The temperature was higher. I remembered that I overclocked it awhile back. So I turned off the overclocking. I've been playing over a week and I haven't had a shut down again. Looks like you were spot on Boris even though I sort of disqualified temperature in the original post.

Pengw1n likes this.