Chrome Blank/Black Screen fix

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mctittles, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Mctittles

Mctittles Kobold

Upon trying the game in chrome for the first time I noticed it flashed the "Checking Server Status" message on the screen and then the screen went black.
    Searching the forums I saw a couple posts where it appeared people had the same problem but with no solution. After a lot of experimenting I came up with something that worked for me and might help other people.

Go to this URL in chrome:
    chrome://plugins/

Click on Details in the top right.

Check under flash and see if you have 2 files (that was my problem). If you do, try disabling one. I disabled the official one in the chrome directory and kept the downloaded one because it was a more updated version.

Farbs likes this.
  2. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Thanks!

3. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

The game was and is working fine on Chrome for me. Out of curiosity I checked the chrome://plugins link. It showed that I also had two Flash players installed (below). I disabled the lower one and the game seems to still work. I have no idea what a PepperFlash player is.

Shockwave Flash 12.0 r0
    Name: Shockwave Flash
    Description: Shockwave Flash 12.0 r0
    Version: 12.0.0.41
    Location: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\32.0.1700.76\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll
    Type: PPAPI (process external)

Name: Shockwave Flash
    Description: Shockwave Flash 11.9 r900
    Version: 11,9,900,170
    Location: C:\windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_11_9_900_170.dll
    Type: NPAPI

4. Mctittles

Mctittles Kobold

I think it should work if the first one (chrome directory) is a new enough version. For whatever reason mine was listed as "Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202" for the first one and "Shockwave Flash 11.9 r900". I don't know why the google one isn't auto updating like it should. I think by default it only uses the one in the chrome directory.

I believe "PepperFlash" is a name chrome gives for their special version of flash integrated into the browser, which differs slightly from the official Adobe one.

What makes this a tough bug for the devs to check is whatever they use to check flash version on the page seems to report the second one and not the first. So if the second one is enabled and the correct version, but the first one is the incorrect version you don't get the warning but the game doesn't work.

5. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Ok, thanks for the info and the debugging effort, Mctittles!