Character standups

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by crabbadon, May 28, 2013.

1. crabbadon

crabbadon Kobold

So I just dropped $20 on pizza, which was precisely enough to buy the remaining Treasure Hunts plus five character figures so I could run all-female parties (because as you all know, I *am* the straw feminist in the closet. Or more seriously because it is *so nice* to be able to run a female team for once.)

And the artwork is *lovely*. Boobplate aside, which I'll take as a concession to distinctly marking the characters out as female, they're all dressed like they're actually going to get in a scrap. Which is a nice change. And I didn't even have a default lineup of all male figs!

It sounds a little trivial but when looking for good female representation in gaming you get a bit desperate sometimes.

I can't mention "woo represenation" without mentioning those skintones though. At the moment it is a sea of paleness out there, drifting as far as Egyptian with the purchase of just $50 of pizza.

I really hope that's fixed before launch! 'cause it's all well and good for me to be happy plonking down a figure I can identify with but not so much when that still leaves out 90% of the world.

Megadestructo and Farbs like this.
  2. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Yeah, I'd love to see more variety to choose from as well.

Although my biggest reason is that I love the art so getting even more choices would be fantastic :D

3. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Two things:

Gendered representation is improved since early development. Look early on, and you'll see Blue Manchu had to have a polite internal chat about sexy armor. Thankfully, though, it never even came close to Blizzard levels of weird.

Racial representation . . . actually, "race" is the wrong word, isn't it? Race sorta means dwarf/elf stuff in a fantasy game. But yeah, I'd asked them myself about that, and at the time I did find another relevant model: "one buyable Dwarf Priest figure with a skin shade dark enough to be noticed in the faded image."

We can see skin color variation in card graphics, so we know the concept exists in Cardhuntria. Hopefully there will be time to add more variety in models during development.

Farbs and crabbadon like this.
  4. Doc_Ryder

Doc_Ryder Kobold

The artwork was what first attracted me to the game. I'd like to have these figures available to purchase to make my own figures for my Realspace D&D games. :)

5. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I think a lot of the models started out as cardboard figures, think there's a dev journal about Ben's first figures going missing in the mail or something dramatic like that.

Also, more figures - yes, please. The more the better! Male/female versions as well as at least some more ethnic looks would be good I believe.

6. Ben_Lee

Ben_Lee Art Director, Chief Executive in charge of Laundry Staff Member

Rest assured there will be more, and of many ethnic varieties. I'm just focussed on all the other bits of art in the game and being added as we get through beta :)

Pengw1n and Zalminen like this.
  7. Doc_Ryder

Doc_Ryder Kobold

Pengwin: Yeah, I remember an image/photo of the figures on a Realspace desk in slotta bases. I'd like to do that. Might make for an additional revenue stream (by likely a small one) for Blue Manchu.

8. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Ben made a couple and sent them over to Kert to make the trailer:

9. teal golem

teal golem Kobold

Ooohhh so we're getting ROGUES?!?! Awesome!!