Card Hunter Release Date Announced!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Card Hunter Joe, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Card Hunter Joe

Card Hunter Joe Blue Manchu

Woo! Double woo! We have exciting news - Card Hunter will be officially released on the 12th of September 2013! We used to call this “going gold” in the Jurassic era of video game development. How quaint! In this confusing age of never-ending betas, we thought we would strike a blow for clarity and just declare Card Hunter live.

First of all, thank you so much to 40,000+ folks who participated in the closed Beta. Vicious Thrust is too vicious! The Trogs are too hard! McDonagh, your grammar is atrocious! We heard you. We tracked your data. We argued long and hard about what it all meant. You helped us squash bugs, balance maps and improve the game. Thank you for being part of building this game. We couldn't have done it without you.
    Also, a very special extra "thank you" to everyone who purchased pizza during the Beta. We really appreciate the help you gave in funding this game through its development. From now on we'll be removing the special Beta figures from sale, so if you got these you'll always be part of an exclusive club.
    So, what does “Live” actually mean?
    1. From Thursday the 12th of September, anyone will be able to register and play Card Hunter at www.cardhunter.com. The game will be officially live! Monsters will be afraid and dungeons will be looted. Gary will be delighted with his new friends. Melvin will be mildly appalled by the influx of new players.
    2. There will be a database reset for all existing Beta accounts. There won’t be any more resets after this, so now you can start card hunting for real. It's sad to have to do this and we considered not resetting the accounts but felt that would be unfair given our pre-existing commitment to the next point.
    3. After the reset, any Pizza you purchased during the Beta will be refunded and you can spend it again. Yes, that's right - all purchased pizza will come back into your reset account ready for you to use it again.
    4. If you have an existing Beta account, you can just login and play again as you did in the Beta. Your account name and password will remain unchanged. The game URL will still be at live.cardhunter.com.
    5. We will be taking the server down sometime on the 11th of September to get everything ready for launch day. You will not be able to play Card Hunter until the game comes back online on the 12th of September (US Eastern Standard Time).
    Launch Special - Get the Basic Edition, Get Figures Cheap!
    To celebrate the launch of the game, we’re running a special promotion. Jump into Card Hunter at launch and get the new Basic Edition! The Basic Edition contains everything you need to get started, including all the single-player content, extra figures, Club membership and more. If you haven't already started playing, the Basic Edition is a great way to get into the game. In addition, to supplement this, we're lowering the prices on the nine adventurer figures that are included in the Basic Edition. If you've got pizza to spend, you'll be able to pick up any of these figures for less than half price in Cuthbert's Costumes!

[​IMG]

Here are some answers to your questions:

Why Did Beta Take So Long?
    The biggest reason is that we wanted to stress test our server infrastructure to ensure that it could accommodate lots of players. We very much hope that we now have a stable and scalable game. However, we’d really value your patience as we work through the challenges of growing the game.
    Is This the End of Development?
    Heck, no. Unless the game tanks and we all have to go and get real jobs. We very much intend to keep working on the game and will update you with our plans as we go. We have big ideas for improving Card Hunter. In the future will be more cards, more items, more adventures and many more things beyond!
    Will There Be Any More Account Resets?
    No.
    Additional Thanks
    Finally, we wanted to say a heartfelt thank you to the ladies and gentlemen of the forums. We can’t thank you enough. We're sure we've left many people out here but we want to say a special thank you to the folks who were tireless in their work in making the forums a happy place: SirKnight, Pengw1n, Wozarg, Assussanni, Lance, Jayce, Phaselock, Zalminen, Neofaolcon, Skip_intro, SurgeonFish, Roshirai and MightyMushroom, we salute you!
    Finally, please join us in the conversation in the forums at forums.cardhunter.com/ and let us know how we can keep on improving the game. We read them everyday. You can also follow us on Twitter: @BlueManchuGames and @JoeWMcDonagh. Onward brave Card Hunters!

Anubis, Megadestructo, Kodi and 8 others like this.
  2. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Hooray! :D :D:D

3. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Huzzah!

Pack is awesome, everything I always wanted - or would have wanted if I was a new user. Excellent idea to go with that.

4. Card Hunter Joe

5. Erian

Erian Kobold

I am curious about the beta figures.. which were those? Also, why not wait until beta ends to remove them?

6. Pengw1n

A samurai warrior and a egyptian priestess that you got for spending 20 or 50 $ in pizza.

(pictures in this old blog thread)

7. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

Wait, does this mean that we can no longer get the beta figures? Or do you mean that we will only be able to get them up until the launch date? I hope it's the latter, because I've been holding out on buying pizza until the launch date is announced (I wanted to wait in case more content was added that I might want to pay additional pizza for, like the undead figurines or anything like that), and I really hope that I don't miss out because of that.

8. Pengw1n

There hasn't been a new build, so they're still there until then (at least). But I agree, they promised to let us know before beta ended - just for the reason you specified.

9. Neofalcon

Neofalcon Goblin Champion

Fantastic news - I'm counting the days til launch!

:(

10. Pengw1n

Poor Joe can't spell to save his life (from the "no news department"). I already had him correct two of those names, so don't feel too bad about it. ;)

Lance likes this.
  11. Glognar

Glognar Kobold

yeah I hope the beta figures are still available right up until the day before launch, I planned to buy pizza right before the launch date

12. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Only mildly? Obviously, we're not trying hard enough.

So the same campaign at release, with new adventures added later?

13. Kilopip

Kilopip Mushroom Warrior

Basic Edition Special is great value at 100 pizza. Count me in.

14. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

I won't be able to pay for a bunch of pizza until the end of the week, otherwise I would've nabbed it as soon as the announcement hit. Hopefully you're right :confused:

I think you misread that, it's $25 and -comes- with 100 pizza.

15. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

Well, I just bought my pizza and can definitely say that they're still available at the moment. I also hope that they wait a little while before they stop offering the extra characters; like you I was waiting until launch was confirmed before buying pizza.

I had hoped that Joe originally misspelled my name intentionally as revenge for all the bug reports I filed concerning spelling and grammar :D

So... how are we going to celebrate the end of beta?

16. Card Hunter Joe

I thought I'd throw some typos in, just for old times.

Wozarg, Lance, Jayce and 3 others like this.
  17. Banezilla

Banezilla Mushroom Warrior

how will the special addition work around those of us that already bought some pizza, can we readjust it so to get the special addition or do we have to pay again in-order to get it?

Stefan likes this.
  18. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Or, in one case, for the sake of different computing conventions. Some places don't allow spaces in names, like in your "SirKnight." By misspelling my name, you show tolerance for those who are spacebar challenged.

Also: WOOOOOOOO!

Edit: Also:

[​IMG]

Woo?

19. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

It would make sense to sell it for either $25 or 740 pizza. Or, if my maths is right, sell the Basic Edition figures for about 12 pizza each.

Woo! Now I just need to find some champagne. And a skeleton. And a tiny hat.

20. Banezilla

Banezilla Mushroom Warrior

for those that have pizza already it would cost $23 worth of pizza for that without the figures. so to have the figures cost $2 to make the whole $25 they would need to be 6 pizzas each
    300 pizza for the adventures = $10
    300 pizza for the club membership = $10
    100 pizza =roughly $3
    60 pizza =$2 for figures
    ?????? let me know if im off on this or not