Buff Arcane Spray

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Maniafig, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Given the recent resurgence of "Buff X" threads, I might as well bring up that Arcane Spray is incredibly underpowered.

Arcane Spray is a Bronze quality card with a range of 2, 3 Arcane damage and the Cone attribute.

The closest comparisons to Arcane Spray are Big Zap which lacks the Cone attribute but does 5 damage and is Paper+ as well as Magma Spray which only does 2 Fire damage but also has Burning 3, Duration 2. The three cards all share the Uncommon rarity and are commonly itemized.

So why would you ever want to use Arcane Spray? If you want a high-damage Arcane damage attack on your Arcane Items you just use Big Zap, if you want that range 2 cone then Magma Spray does more damage in the long run. Either way you're getting more value out of a lower quality card, making Arcane Spray hopelessly outclassed even if it were Paper+.

I think given that the card requires a wizard to take the risk of being in close range to use it should be more rewarding than a paltry 3 damage. If it did 5 damage then it'd still fit the Arcane Item requirements without being so outclassed by lower valued cards.

Robauke, cycosurgeon, tolkien and 3 others like this.
  2. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Another thought -- just brainstorming, not saying one's better or worse -- is that it could get Range 3 like Burning Fingers.

3. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

A range increase would also make the card more useful, but a 3 damage 3 range card doesn't qualify for Arcane Items since it's both >2 damage and >2 range so it would break Arcane Spray's current itemization.

4. ParodyKnaveBob

Right, right, all that low-level running lately had me thinking Short Spark (damage 3, range 4) was on Arcane Items. Ha, whoops. $E^ b Thanks.

5. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Making it 5 damage would make it like a long range triple chop. I like it. On the other hand, on could at least make it penetrating.

6. vitreo84

vitreo84 Goblin Champion

What about making it range 5 for 2 damage? there is already force cannon range 5 for 2 damage so it should now break arcane item rules. and it would be cheaper than a cone of cold but stronger of force cone with no effect.

7. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Its vanilla!! Without vanilla we wouldn't appreciate the chocolate / strawberry!
    Plus, it makes for more interesting challenge when doing nudie run / building pauper decks.

Sir Veza likes this.
  8. ParodyKnaveBob

But I like vanilla. It has its own unique valuable flavor. Emphasis on valuable. $:^ ]

9. vitreo84

vitreo84 Goblin Champion

So maybe to change it to only 4 damage and leave it a weak card? :D

10. In theory all cones are pretty much worthless lately with all the move spam nowadays. I used to have a Smoke Bomb and Cone wizard that was playable, but not so much anymore.