Blocking respawn points in Smash the Jar

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Fanturluche, Sep 19, 2016.

?

Should you be allowed to prevent the ennemy from respawning?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Fanturluche

Fanturluche Thaumaturge

I have noticed and I have been using the fact that, in the Smash the Jar league, you could prevent one of your opponent's units from respawning by having two characters standing on his coffin (usually your warrior and the ennemy jar). However, it has been put to my attention that this technique is, in fact, rather low, since it is basically preventing your opponent from playing.
    So, either it is considered as a valid stategy (and there is no reason for it to remain secret), or it is an unwanted feature and should be fixed ASAP. What do you think?

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

We designed the map this way and players should not be attacking each other for playing to win on it.

If this becomes a sore point, we can change the map.

:)

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  3. In favor of it. The fact is: when that happens doesn't mean you lose. Is possible to do a comeback. I won/lose some games when the opponent did that to me.. The satisfaction you feel by won after that is my main reason to be in favor of it. Also isn't that easy to setup the block. The majority of times you can't do the block or isn't neccesary. So why remove something that add value to the league?

BTW I like how Smash the Jar allows different strategies. Also the league idea is brilliant and the decks are so balanced.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  4. haesslicherBob

haesslicherBob Lizardman Priest

Really?
    Blocking the spawn point ruins the league for me. I encountered it twice so far where i was blocked (vs futurluche). There is just no reliable thing you can do about it, when you are blocked.

There are 2 cases:
    1. Warrior dead and his spawn point blocked --> no way of moving enemy away. Killing one enemy usually does nothing because the other then moves in and blocks the spawn point
    2. Priest down and his spawn point blocked --> no healing and it is a matter of time until you lose. And dont tell me to park my own warrior next to my jar and wait for a muscle through.

As Flax said, it is not about attacking the guys but since you cannot keep them alive (NEB and greater heal or traits), there should be no way to prevent them from respawning. It never happened to me in turret tango where spiders are meatsacks as well.

5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

What I was trying to say is actually that players shouldn't be getting mad/accusing each other/etc. over using this tactic. :)

ParodyKnaveBob and Force.ofWill like this.
  6. haesslicherBob

Oh sorry, i misread your comment.

Players are attacking and accusing each other all the time, which is most notable in general chat (accusations about using dwarfs/Burft/volcano/luck/weak strikes ;)). Practically everything. Some ragings are justified, some are not.

There were tweaks to cards and game mechanics when ragings were kind of justified or unintended game mechanics were exploited. I had the impression that blocking spawn points (in a league with unlimited resurrections every round) is such an unintended exploit.

Justified or not (the voting from the player base seems to be split), you cannot prevent me from getting mad by telling me so...

7. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Didn't even know you could do this. That's pretty rad. Smash the Jar is possibly the most random league in the game (translation: I haven't worked out a strategy yet that I'm confident will win significantly more than 50% of the time), and as such I find it very very difficult to get mad at it. I have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and vice versa so many times.

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

No no, feel free to get mad, but get mad at me and tell me to change it, rather than getting mad at your opponents ;)

9. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

<derail>I'd love to see your strategy that wins >50% in Turret Tango</derail>

10. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Yeah this one is relying on inexperienced players who make mistakes with spider movement/placement; against experienced players TT is a 50/50 ballgame because there's really only one movement pattern that works. However, TT doesn't have cards like impetuous heal which can destroy your well-laid plans in an instant.

Managed to wrangle my first spawn block in Jar today. It's very effective!

11. haesslicherBob

I don´t know. Following that logic, if a person is killed with a gun, we should blame the weapon manufacturer instead of the person who shot. I am not sure I can agree on that ;)
    And apart from telling Futur that blocking spawn points is quite low, there was no further raging on my side.

Anyway I will abuse this now in order to get people mad (at you, following your logic) until you feel the need to fix this :p

Flaxative likes this.
  12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I don't think that's how logical extension works... :p

haesslicherBob likes this.
  13. Pyrious

Pyrious Hydra

Homicide isn't the intended usage of a gun, so in that case the blame is on the shooter. In this case spawn-blocking is an intentional design decision in the map, so the blame is on Flaxative (that is, if you want to assign any blame at all).

14. I would like it even more fun, I vote for only one respwan point instead of 2 :)
    With that people complains will make sense ;)

15. haesslicherBob

My post was just an argumentum ad absurdum, so no need to further discuss the purpose or intended usage of weapons...
    My point was that players should not exploit unintended game mechanics and that players are responsible for their doing.

Anyway, my assumption was, that blocking spawn points was NOT intended. Flax said that it was intended, so I stand corrected.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    ParodyKnaveBob and Flaxative like this.
  16. vitreo84

vitreo84 Goblin Champion

Also Monkey Magic and Monster Hunt are very random... since there are not only the random card... but also the dice roll with all the jump back/dodge/block LOL :D nice thing of Smash the Jar is that there are no block and there is very little armor roll...you can get unlucky of course if your jar fail 3 armor roll in a row and if your opponent jar roll 3 time.. but it is only a bad luck for 2 life point for single roll... in other league a single block roll can change your entire match...

Quick rotation can sometime kill more than 1 spider... the main luck in TT is about drawing this card i think because often you will meet an opponent with 2 Quick rotation and then other 3 opponent with that card when you draw it only 1 time in 1 match in 4 :D

but yes this is the only luck in that league... with no block roll and armor roll that change little.

About the main topic....
    I think that blocking respawn is also ugly to see... since there is no consistence with the story background. you can pierce the heart of a vampire approaching his coffin... but you can't kill a Lich or these league's skeletons without destroying theyr Philactery.
    Expecially with a warrior that can muscle through you if you approach him! :D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  17. Soltis

Soltis Goblin Champion

I'm going with no.

I already pretty much hate Smash the Jar..... had this happen to me in the last and I stress last as in final Smash the Jar I will ever play. Thought it was just the game bugging out on me because there is no indication what so ever that you can block spawn points. So I don't even consider it strategy because odds of the other player even knowing about it are pretty much non existent. As the only reason I found out it was a thing intentional or otherwise was by coming to the forums to report a bug.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  18. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

I was pretty sure the story was an undead sport where lichs liches more than one lich has a phylactery with two skeleton minions to guard the one and smash the other. Meanwhile, no one's killing the skeleton minions -- they're just standing double on one's coffin to temporarily shut it inside! $E^ D

Odds are highly existent considering there's a certain infamous puzzle that opens up right around, what, beating a level 8 adventure? ...which even prompts you to get social help if you're stumped? (I feel like I'm spoiling too much by even saying that.)