Beta Build 1.18 (12 Mar 2013)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Major features in this build are the new multiplayer lobby (still a work in progress) and a lot of changes to the tutorial and early game.

You shouldn't get stuck in the multiplayer ranked game queue now for more than a few minutes before an AI steps in to play you. Let us know if that's not the case.

There's also quite a bit more campaign story content going in, but some of it is still placeholder.

Enjoy!

Multiplayer Lobby
    Transitioning to new lobby! There's still much to do here, but it's pretty and functional already.
    Showing home keep in Tournamentria at all times, rather than after starter pack.
    More useful MP room lists, showing only open games and who's hosting them.
    More new lobby work, entering and exiting the lobby chat group properly, cancelling matchmaking appropriately, chatbox grabbing.

Multiplayer
    AI players are now identified in the DB and have dynamic ratings.
    AI players have their own monsters/decks identified by name.
    Added Gary, Melvin and Amy AI players to DB.
    Added a bunch of decks/monsters for Melvin and Amy.
    New algorithm for MP ranked wait time before AI steps in (based on win streak and total wins).
    Win streak duration is checked on entry into ranked game queue, not on ranked game start.
    Fixed user being able to get into ranked game queue twice.
    Clarified the MP reward chest description.

Campaign
    Added battle briefings and debriefings for Astral Shrine, Return to Astral Shrine, Citrine Demon Portal and Ogre Pass. Still need to add Gary dialogue for these adventures.
    Added scenario briefings and post battle debriefings for Pools of Slime, Lord Stafford's Treasure, Garnet Demon Portal, Goblins in the Wood and Tree Forts of the Goblin King.
    Added story prompts to Prompt.xlsx and Adventure and Scenario briefings and debriefings to Scenarios.xlsx for the following adventures: Viscous Tomb, Gladiator Arena Q1, Gladiator Arena Round 1, Order of the Core, Descent to the Core
    Added White Diamond drop to White Star and Hand of Melvelous drop to Tomb of Melvelous.
    Throne of Strench and Compass of Xorr story changes
    Minor changes to Adventure text for Rescue and Return to Woodhome;
    Changed the name of the two inns and Axes and Things.
    Added Gary dialogue text for most of the Adventures levels 2 to 8

Tutorial
    Integrated Greenfang demo into game start.
    Turned on greenfang demo for new accounts.
    Bunch of prompt fix ups.
    Shortened the first tutorial adventure.
    Re-did all prompts up to second tutorial adventure.
    Reduced Greenfang health.
    Reduced kobold draws for kobold camp.
    A lot more work on the tutorial (up to 3rd adventure now).
    Tweaked the MP nag safety prompt.

Items
    finished making staves
    Finished off all Robes
    fixed duplicate robes name
    tweaked some slot assignments; finished off Boots; added more Robes
    Finished creating new Helmets
    finished full slate of Heavy Armors
    finished all Divine Weapons
    finished Divine Armors

Item Art
    Added New divine weapon chits
    Added new Divine armor chits
    Added New shield and divine armor item art
    Added a mule-load of new item art.
    Added many weapon item arts
    fixed spearleather item art size

Cards
    tweaked Potent Spark card
    reduced duration of Freeze
    made Arcane Shell rare
    fixed range of Advanced Battlefield Training
    Implemented Icy Block and Defender's Block.
    Implemented Wounded Block.

Card Art
    Added some missing card art and fixed Gnome inciter portrait
    fixed bungled heal thumbnail

Misc Art
    Replaced both maps!

Figures
    fixed up monster figure entries for sprites and imps and fiends
    More imps and sprite figures.
    Added new sparkler figure and Trapling figure

Pizza
    Added pizza to gold conversion.

Accounts
    Add a 'forgot username' function to the account web pages.
    Move login screen into landing screen.

Internal Stuff
    Add routines for tracking pizza during beta so players can reclaim it when the game moves to live operations.
    Updating SmartFox to 2.6.0.
    Added alert test dev command.
    Added partyanddecksbbcode dev command.
    Remove extraneous adventure name and ID from battle log messages.
    Change a bunch of log messages to be debug messages to reduce logging noise

Bug fixes
    Fixed battle screen instance being null after battle end.
    Fixed dead figure markers in all boards.
    Actor highlighting clearing watches out for missing actors.
    Module display removes gold star and item display when starting treasure hunt.

Jayce, Zalminen and Pengw1n like this.
  2. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Hi ! May I know what 'dynamic ratings' mean ? Or are you referring to rating decay ? If so, what's the formula we should be looking out for ?
    Thanks.

3. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

My goodness! Whew! World content! I'd noticed the small visual change in multiplayer deckbuilding, but now I see it was but the tip of the revision iceberg.
    It even has a name! And I see you are officially sticking with "Cardhuntria." This is wise. Though "Tournamentria" sounds an awful lot like "Tormentria" . . .

Edit: Oh, and you renamed Startington Keep. Well, I suppose that's alright.

4. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

It's a nice old dnd reference, even though I kinda liked the old one. Also, did they expand the map to the east or am I imagning things?

5. Jon

Unfortuately, the ranked game matchmaker seems flaky again. There will be a new patch going up in the next hour or so.

6. Jon

What that means is that AI MP opponents ratings will go up and down as they win or lose. Over time they should indicate their actual ability.

7. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

understood, thanks. fyi: leaving chest shop still exits to game map.

8. Sir Knight

I looked before, and all that "east" content has always been there. Though there are a few things on that list which I don't recognize: "Tomb of Melvelous"? We knew about the Hand Of Melvelous, but the Tomb isn't actually in beta yet, right? Also, "Trapling"?

And for that matter: Pengw1n, where did you get that goblin king graphic in your signature? Am I blanking on something?

9. Pengw1n

Goblin King was added last patch, you probably just haven't done Treeforts lately. Added it for it's awesomeness. Also, hope Trapling is some sort of Mimic, would be awesome. Probably not in yet, if they havent' added any new adventures though...

10. Sir Knight

Hmm. Should I create a thread in "feedback" for my feedback, or stick with this thread since it's so direct? I've got multiple thoughts here.

These are lovely additions, either in principle or in practice. But some seem iffy.

I just played The Wizard's Workshop and saw the new Gary text. Module and Gary text now seem a little conflicted. Is the module text written for the "Dungeon Master's" perspective? In that case, it's distracting for us to see it. Gary is our Dungeon Master, after all. And his speech doesn't necessarily match the module text anyway. (The kitchen gets destroyed? Same with the top of the tower, apparently.)

And then there's an issue of timing. Is Gary supposed to be talking "over" the module text? Because he does, which looks funny and also interferes. In fact, it really looks like we're supposed to read the module text first, and then hear Gary comment when on the game screen (either right at the start of the first round, or at the end of the winning round).

I also saw a glitch: for a brief instant, right when going to the final "aftermath" text, Gary said something about "mechanical [mayhem/monstrosities?]" before it was replaced with text about Aloyzo being an ungrateful cur. And a spelling error: "unguent," not "ungent," in the kitchen area.

Lastly, some observations on new cards (at least they're new to me). Leather Harness is awesome, but should its bonus to Armor rolls be "Keep" or not?

And I see that now I can get my own Raise The Alarm. I thought it was enemy-specific. But if it's allowed for players, may I recommend saying "All other allies (or allied groups) draw a card" instead of "All other allied groups draw a card"? The player, after all, has no "groups," and this way makes its function more clear.

11. Kodi

Kodi Orc Soldier

I Love the new login screen <3

12. Jon

There's a new patch going up now with a few fixes. Principally, we have hopefully got ranked matchmaking working better - or at least in a state where we can tell what happens when it stops working. Also, failed logins no longer require you to refresh the login page.

And Ben took the chance to squeeze in some additional items.

13. Jon

The new patch is up.

14. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

erm, could the login box be shifted away from the center. Its blocking the awesome artwork of the book behind. Either that, or shift the book ? :)

15. Jon

Yeah, we should probably move the box to the side.

16. Jon

And... the ranked matchmaker is still flaky. Will work on it!

17. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Birthday patch is best patch ill make sure to test pvp once i get home.

Edit
    How dare you cower up that book it has Ben's masterly full plate warrior adorning it that is just evil!

Edit 2
    Ranked seams to not function at all is there anything we can do to get it to work or is it casual for now?

18. Jon

OK, I think the ranked matchmaker should be fixed now.
    • It should be much easier to get matched against other players instead of the AI.
    • You should NEVER wait more than a maximum of five minutes for a game. The waits should be much shorter in almost all cases.
    Let me know if you see any more problems!

19. Jon

Spoke too soon... it's still broken. Will keep looking at this.

20. Pengw1n

I'm a bit confused by this:
    - I had this on my Clovidian's Boots, and since the patch this got switched with the common - and better version Arcane Aura. Not that I'm complaining, but that feels a bit backward? Unless Arcane Shell is rare - but considered from a lower level perspective?