Barrels advice?

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by c4rnivean, Jan 5, 2016.

1. c4rnivean

c4rnivean Orc Soldier

Burst is great, but I only have a tiny bit. I back it up with a support priest and support wizard, for lack of a better 3rd character idea. I don't have Illusion. Any tips? Thinking of swapping:

Aegis+Purging Charm for Tokenless+another 7th Circle
    Cinnabar Ring+Adv Flex for Perfect Tactics/Inspired Command

Michandgrim
    Level 4 Human Priest

Dumbledore
    Level 17 Human Wizard

Quinfinn
    Level 1 Human Wizard

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  2. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Forgetfulness could be good tech against opposing mags but it also whiffs against warrior teams. Not sold on trog melter. Melt armor only range 5, what about some more sweet range 8 cards and just get a boiling armor arcane item. Like the first wiz tho and cone of cold still good against smoke bomb/illusory barriers.

St ulrichs bones divine item is also really nice option to combo with volcano /wiz. All three cards on it are solid. You might also want to add resistant hide/ that dimensional traveller arcane skill to be able to conceal your incoming volcanoes more, dimensional traveller also really nice on barrels map, works well with your forgetfulness too.

3. rinco69

rinco69 Thaumaturge

A good source for Illusory Barrier is Ixtli Amulet (epic) and Phantom Pain (leg). I use these in addition to an Illusion.

4. c4rnivean

c4rnivean Orc Soldier

I'll keep an eye out for the other legend and epic. Re: forgetful, I haven't run into any war teams yet, 95% wiz and priest, and wouldn't even most war teams have a support wiz or priest? I haven't had a dead forgetful yet, although sometimes I'll only hit crap or 1 card. Any seconds for that take on forgetful?

Basically this deck has little chance vs rank 1600 burst so my target is all the wiz/priest heavy rank 1300s.

5. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Forgetfulness can draw blocks, I imagine. And I prefer it to Counterspell.

6. c4rnivean

c4rnivean Orc Soldier

Thanks gulo that's a great point. War will be bringing block magic so at worst it's still a range 8 block check.

How about the other idea (and also the 2 substitutions in my post)? I do own 1 ulrichs bones. I have 4 volcs on my support Mage. Is it worth downgrading an axe to sacrificial or swapping the 7th circle to bring in ulrichs bones? Note that I need well in hand or I'm stuck stalling.

Do I have any underutilized tokens besides Cinnabar? No better ideas for Cinnabar sadly.

7. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

I only play wizards, so I can't help with anything else.

8. Jezterscap

Jezterscap Lizardman Priest

The key card for offensive mages is illusory barrier.
    This will shut down enemy burst, volcano, barriers and blocks melee from advancing the narrow passageways.

If you don't have barriers I would suggest 2 warriors with sprints and a support wizard with smoke. This seems to give me the most troubles.

My build has around 90% win rate.
    [SRC] Friar Luck
    Level 22 Human Priest

[SRC] 9Lives
    Level 1 Dwarf Wizard

[SRC] SideKick
    Level 1 Dwarf Wizard

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    Sir Veza likes this.
  9. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

Barrels is basically a long range firefight in most matches. Either through terrain or bursts/fire damage. I do well with volcano/illusion wizard + fire wizard + mobile dwarf warrior. Get warrior on the VP and delay/teleport/burn anyone who approaches him. Works pretty well.

If you're looking for a build that isn't heavy on legendarys. Double human warrior with Human Smoke/Teleport Wiz is effective depending on your draw. Rocket dashx2 boots make a big difference on the warriors for some mobility boost in Barrels. Fly 5-7 covers a lot of the map. Double edged sword 3x on both warriors for movement and good reach and some shimmering armor or reliable mail. Leadership x2 on the mage to let your warriors draw their way out of sticky situations. Keep your warriors together within smoke bomb range in order to clear out lava and barriers. Sometimes vs terrian mage team you can just tank one warrior on the VP with double armor in hand even sitting on lava. Only problem is if you run into a very aggressive Melee team(triple flying elf warriors for example). You will lose to this due to all the anti magic tech on warriors and mage. These are pretty rare in barrels though.

Sir Veza likes this.