[Balance] Card Values

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Kalin, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

There's lots of discussion about which cards are over/under valued, but it mostly focuses on isolated cards. So I thought I'd take a look at the values for all the cards of certain type to see how they compare.

Note: the in-game hint about card quality names them "Black, Paper, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Green, Purple" and the mixture of colors and materials bugs the heck out of me, so I'm changing them to "Tar, Paper, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Emerald, Amethyst".

Remember that quality represents the card's power and determines the item's level, while rarity represents the complexity and determines the item's rarity.

Starting with the armors (because I sorted the spreadsheet alphabetically):
    Code:
                Common                  Uncommon            Rare
    ------      ------                  --------            ----
    Tar         Ill-Fitting Armor
    Paper       Cloth Armor             Weakened Armor      Toughened Hide Strips
                Reliable Hide Armor                         Officer's Harness
                Rusty Armor                                 Leather Harness
    Paper +                             Mail
    Bronze      Hardy Mail              Rushing Aura        Shimmering Aura
                Holy Armor                                  Chain Harness
                Thickened Mail
                Thick Hide Armor
    Silver -    Heavy Armor
    Silver      Solid Mail              Spiked Mail         Reliable Mail
                Resistant Hide          Flight Aura         Arrogant Armor
    Silver +                            Crafted Mail
    Gold        Toughness               Frenzy Aura         Grounding Plates
                Arcane Aura             Dynamic Armor       Enchanted Harness
                Horned Plates                               Arcane Shell
    Gold +      Inspiring Armor
    Emerald     Enchanted Mail
    My opinions: the quality values are pretty good; I'd just boost Reliable Hide Armor, Resistant Hide, and Toughness by one full level each. But the rarities are horrible: I'd make Mail, Crafted Mail, and Reliable Mail common; make Holy Armor, Thick Hide Armor, Shimmering Aura, and Inspiring Armor uncommon; and make Resistant Hide and Toughness rare.

Qui11 likes this.
  2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Worth noting that if Toughness were rare and emerald, Perfect Toughness wouldn't be in the game. Just a fun fact! Not that I disagree with your suggestions. I was about to say "It would be an epic item instead of a common!" and then I realized it would ALSO be a level 24 item. :)

3. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

Reliable Hide is fine at Paper. Compare 100% reduce by 1 with 50% reduce by 2 (Mail).

If anything, give Cloth Armor a boost. For example, if Cloth Armor blocks damage from a cold spell, don't attach it. (It's thick, warm clothing!)

Toughness is fine if you remove the card draw from it.

Resistant Hide: Everyone has their own suggestion how to fix it. My preference is Roll 2+, reduce damage by 1, prevent all fire, cold and poison damage if it triggers.

Note that it's easier to change a card effect rather than quality or rarity, because it leaves the relevant items unchanged.

As for rarity, I don't like the entire current rarity system. I don't think it makes the right items rare. See my sig.

4. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I am fine with the current rarity system, but it bugs me that certain items are rare with 0 rare cards on them. (Improvised Halberd, Slippery Sword, Staff of Winter).
    I think that some rare cards should be common and some common cards should be rare, but it shouldn't be a problem if the items are put together properly. Many aren't. Items are made by (intelligent) well-meaning human beings. That doesn't mean they don't make mistakes. But I digress..
    I am also fine with the current quality system; however a lot of cards have the wrong quality. And when you put those undervalued cards on the same item... you can create overpowered items.
    Certain rare cards are pretty bad, and overvalued based on the quality system. Then when you get an epic/legendary item with just the right combination of cards so that the resulting item is terrible, unusable, and wholly inferior to a less rare item... it just makes you want to cry or yell or something. Frankly it sucks. Rarer items should be better than regular items. Your epic/legendary items should help define you as a player.

doog37 likes this.
  5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Just as an epic has 2 rare cards and a legendary has 3, you can have rares built on having enough uncommons, right? It makes sense to me...

6. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

If they were, the game would be pay-to-win or farm-obsessively-to-win. Card Hunter has deliberately opted to keep regular items competitive. The rare items are meant to give you more build options or make unusual builds possible, not to be an instant advantage. The way the game does it, it's possible to be successful in MP straight after finishing the SP campaign if you have the skill. I think this is a laudable philosophy from Blue Manchu.

The problem with the system is that unfortunately some rare items actually are better than the regular ones. The legendary Vibrant Pain, as everyone knows by now, offers an undeniable competitive advantage to anyone owning it. There are several legendary and epic items which are clearly best-in-class — the many arcane items with two Firestorms, for example. This can lead to people obsessively hunting for them, which isn't healthy for anyone involved.

From anecdotal evidence it seems owning such items actually does lead to better performance in MP. Blue Manchu must know from the match result and player inventory data available to them how strong the correlation is and whether it's large enough to badly undermine their stated design intentions. To keep the philosophy pure they would need to do something about these items.

7. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I agree. Some rares need to be better than the more common items and worth searching out, because that is a form of advancement in the game, but none should rise to the level of tactical nukes.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  8. I don't think that some cards need to be better than others like it's some kind of law of CCG's. This is just how it usually is in CCG's because that's how they make money. With traditional CCG's like MtG, if you don't sell cards, you are not making any money. This is why it makes sense to have cards that are universally better that others, so that people by booster packs or whatever. It's different in Card Hunter though because they make money with club memberships, costumes, etc.

It all depends on the basic philosophy behind the game. Do we want Card Hunter to a game where people are encouraged to collect items while PvP is unbalanced because of certain legendary items? Or do we want Card Hunter to be a balanced PvP game where having a large collection doesn't give you an advantage, only gives you more options in deck building? I personally prefer the latter.

If the game is fun to play, there's shouldn't be a need for overpowered legendary items.

9. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Okay, once again we disagree.
    My position:
    - A level 12 axe should be universally better than a level 1 axe, aside from token cost.
    - There should be rare clubs better (situationally or universally) than common clubs.
    Otherwise you could collect all 24 common items available during your first run, and play over and over using the same cards. It works for euchre, and I play euchre, but CH is a different animal entirely.
    Card hunting should obviously be a driver in a game called Card Hunter, and there is little point in hunting if there is nothing to gain.
    p.s. - I believe I addressed overpowering items.
    Cheers! :)

10. I'm not opposed to collecting cards, I'm opposed to some rare cards being significantly better than everything else (Vibrant Pain etc.). This kind of system increases the amount of pay-to-win and farm-to-win, because it diminishes the role of skill and increases the role of inventory. I can understand this design philosophy from a business standpoint, but I don't think it makes the game better.

And it's not like item collecting suddenly became pointless if all ridiculously powerful items were nerfed. We would still collect new items because they give us new deckbuilding options. For example if I wanted to play a Firestorm deck (which I definitely don't btw), I would have to collect all kinds of rare items before I could do so. And these rare items would only be different, not better.

This would enable a casual player to collect only a couple of cards and still be competitive by using his skill. Hardcore gamers on the other hand wouldn't have a huge item advantage over that casual player but they would have a lot more options.

But I understand people feel differently about this. Some people don't like PvP that much and prefer hunting treasures in SP. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this. It all depends on what you personally look or in a game.

11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

True dat.
    I think we're crossed up on the semantics of Deck Building Options vs Better.

"There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    - John Steinbeck

Edit: Extended Quote

12. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

A reminder about power (quality/level) vs complexity (rarity):
    (source)

I thought the devs said flat out that they wanted rare items to be more complex, not more powerful, than other items at that level, but I can't find a quote right now.

On to the next batch of cards:

Assists
    Code:
    Paper       Bungled Heal            Demonic Feedback    Savage Curse
                Minor Heal              Bad Medicine        Unholy Frenzy
                Righteous Frenzy        Misguided Heal
    Bronze      Healing Presence        Healing Pulse       Shrug It Off
                Light Heal              Help the Weak       Twin Heals
                Limited Heal
    Silver -    Inspiration             Shuffle, Team!
                Retreat
    Silver      Heal                    Healing Blessing    Lateral Thinking
                Walk, Team!             Impenetrable Nimbus Mass Frenzy
                Battlefield Training    Martyr Blessing     Team Heal
                                        Boosted Heal        Unholy Energy
    Silver +                            Run, Team!
    Gold -      Dash, Team!                                 Inspiring Presence
    Gold        Dwarven Battle Cry      Forward Thinking    Bless
                Greater Heal            Leadership          Soothing Darkness
                Scuttle, Team!          Pathfinding         Advanced Battlefield Training
                Accelerated Thought     Demonic Power
                                        Consecrate Ground
                                        Unholy Wellspring
    Gold +                              Scamper, Team!      Sprint, Team!
    Emerald     Healing Rays
                Inspirational Thinking
    This... is just a mess. I'd start by saying team pushes with Free Move should be Rare and the ones without should be Uncommon. And no way is Help The Weak the same power level as Twin Heals. And Savage Curse is not three tiers below Unholy Wellspring in power.

Qui11 likes this.
  13. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

In a Dev Diary, it was stated:
    Twin Heals should be Heal 3 to two targets; it's hard enough to get 1 target to use it on, just like it is hard to get the most out of Healing Pulse.
    Scuttle, Team is overvalued at Gold. So is Soothing Darkness and Consecrate Ground for that matter.
    So is Savage Curse undervalued, Wellspring overvalued, or both?
    Also, I would like to see Shrug it Off remade into a Trait which discards Enemy attachments.

14. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

If you'd decide card rarity levels with a dart board and a war monkey, you'd probably end up with the above table.

The Move, Team! cards flip flop between common and uncommon.
    For Battlefield Training, the weak card is a common, the strong card is a rare. For Lateral / Inspirational Thinking, it's the other way around.
    The weaker Twin Heals and Team Heal are rare, but Healing Rays is a common.

If rarity was a measure of complexity, why isn't Misguided Heal a rare? It's a useful card but it has many complex interactions that create gotcha moments for newbies.

As for power levels, the major issues are in the silver tier. Martyr Blessing and Impenetrable Nimbus are great cards that can win a game if you draw them at the right time. Lateral Thinking and Battlefield Training are useless. The rest are somewhere in between.

15. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I think card rarity is determined by how often a card appears on items. Changing it now would require rebuilding lots of items, and I don't see that happening.

I can see Help The Weak and Twin Heals being in the same general range. One heals 4 (2 to 2 targets, but never the caster), the other heals 5 to the lowest hit point team ally. I definitely prefer Help The Weak, but every classification needs a top and bottom end.

I find Savage Curse to be lousy. Discarding my oldest card whenever playing an attack made me run out of everything very quickly. I tried it a few times, but did better without it. To me, Unholy Wellspring is WAY better. I guess YMMV.

16. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

I think it is meant to be used with AE attacks like Firestorm. Or you could use it on an enemy - I'm sure there's some situations where that'd be useful.

17. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I am pretty sure Savage Curse is supposed to be lousy. It's nice to put on an enemy when you have Parry or Nimbus ready. That being said, it's phenomenal in SP where your wizard can just sit there and fire off attacks dealing 5-11 damage because you discard your move card first, then play your last card for free. Unholy Wellspring only lasts 2 turns, and while it is otherwise a better card it does have a hefty cost. You basically have to run Pungent Incense, 7th circle charm, and/or Axe of the Dark Soul to get Wellspring. And those aren't cheap.

Twin Heals is a lousy (rare!) card compared to all of the other bronze heals. I've used it extensively, and you seldom get 4 healing out of it, most of the time it is only 2 points because you can't see both targets or one has full health. Compare that to Help The Weak which is *amazing*, but also Limited Heal (4 points, ST) and Light Heal (3 points, ST), not to mention Healing Pulse. Twin heals is essentially a minor heal with more range. Look at Misguided Heal. Much better!!! You can kill an opponent with it, you can heal 2 to an ally, or if said ally has armor 2, it heals 4 points. And that is a paper with 8 range! I would even take Bungled Heal over Twin Heals since you can heal 5 points and trick an enemy into blocking it.

18. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

On to the attacks!

Attack - Melee
    Code:
    Tar         Backbiting Strike
                Weak Strike
    Paper -                                                 Sapping Touch
    Paper       Bludgeon                Draining Touch
                Simple Strike           Stab
                Weak Chop
    Paper +     Penetrating Cut         Clumsy Chop         Consuming Touch
                                                            Able Bludgeon
    Bronze -    Trained Bludgeon        Raging Strike
                                        Shifty Stab
    Bronze      Able Stab               Predictable Stab    Strong Bludgeon
                Simple Bash             Tricky Stab         Strong Hack
                Lunging Thrust                              Spear of Darkness
    Bronze +    Chop                    Reaching Swing      Violent Overswing
                Lunging Strike          Enervating Touch    Perforating Strike
                                        Lunging Hack        Lunging Bash
                                                            Penetrating Lunge
    Silver -    Puncturing Stab         Dancing Cut         Fiery Stab
    Silver      Powerful Bludgeon       Devastating Blow    Barge
                Powerful Hack           Vicious Thrust      Nimble Strike
                Skillful Strike
                Strong Stab
                Able Bash
                Bash
                Strong Chop
    Silver +    Potent Stab                                 Shredding Strike
                                                            Massive Chop
    Gold -      Invigorating Touch                       
                Penetrating Stab
    Gold        Mighty Bludgeon         All Out Attack      Obliterating Chop
                Mighty Hack
                Strong Bash
    Gold +      Powerful Bash           Impaling Stab       Polearm Slash
    Emerald     Obliterating Hack       Anvil Strike        Obliterating Bludgeon
    Amethyst    Almighty Bludgeon                           Almighty Hack
    Now it's obvious that rarity has nothing to do with the actual complexity of a card, but instead is set so that certain powerful items are hard to get. I personally would swap the quality and rarity of Bash and Strong Bludgeon, for one example. (And I need to check the item formula to figure out how Hammer Of Bashing ended up Rare when it only has Common cards.)

Attack - Magic/Projectile
    Code:
    Tar         Arcane Curse
                Demonic Miasma
    Paper -     Force Bolt
                Ember Spray
                Little Zap
    Paper       Penetrating Zap         Bad Luck            Firestorm
                Zap                     Bungled Bolt        Flash of Pain
                Wavering faith          Unstable Bolt       Stone Spikes
                Spark
    Paper +                             Burning Fingers
                                        Fire Spray
                                        Maze
                                        Long Spark
                                        Big Zap
    Bronze -    Short Spark
    Bronze      Dissolve Armor          Chilling Rime      Mind Worm
                Entangling Roots        Cold Snap          Flame Spit
                Powerful Spark          Sorcerous Bolt      Path of Knives
                Hot Spot                War Cry            Force Cone
                                        Force Blast        Flame Jet
                                        Arcane Spray
    Bronze +                            Acid Blast
    Silver -    Devastating Spark
    Silver      Boiling Armor           Frost Jolt          Cone of Cold
                Elvish Insight          Acid Spray          Deadly Spark
                Memory Loss             Perplexing Ray      Forgetfulness
                Sizzling Bolt           Wall of Illusion    Glob of Flame
                Touch of Death          Sorcerous Blast     Short Perplexing Ray
                Smoke Bomb              Counterspell        Wall of Stone
                Wall of Fire                                Ember Burst
                Surging Bolt
    Gold -      Surging Blast                               Potent Spark
    Gold                                Mighty Spark        Volcano
                                        Winds of War     
    Gold +                                                  Fireball
    Emerald     Obliterating Spark                          Freeze
    That's a lot of Silver cards, and not many Gold. And it's funny watching Sparks go from Common to Rare and back to Common as they get more powerful.

Flaxative likes this.
  19. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Good job Kalin! Can't wait to see the rest of the cards. It's very helpful to see this information formatted like this!
    Wizards have very few choices of Gold cards on arcane items. I mean, attacks: Winds of War and Volcano. Or Teleport Self/Reflexive Teleport/Improved TK.
    It would be great if you could add Staggering Blow, Cowardly Attack, Staggering Chop, and Unstoppable Chop to the list. They are*/were in the game and they could return in the future.

20. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

These values are intended to make items automatically balanced, so cards that don't appear on items will likely have crazy values. Crazier even than what we're seeing here. (Plus it would double the work for me; there are a lot of cards you never see on items.)

Anyway, here's the rest of the tables:

Block
    Code:
    Paper       Flimsy Block                                Wounded Block
                Unreliable Block
    Paper +                                                 Weak Parry
    Bronze -    Weak Block              Missile Block
    Bronze      Block                   Hit the Deck        Stuck Arrow
                Parry                   Jarring Block
    Bronze +                            Lifesaving Block
    Silver      Desperate Block         Hard to Pin Down    Cause Fumble
                                                            Icy Block
                                                            Surging Shield Block
    Gold        Shield Block            Absorbing Block     Acrobatic Flip
                                                            Defender's Block
                                                            Duck
    Boost
    Code:
    Tar                                                     Blind Rage
    Bronze -    Spark Inductor