Armor too powerful at low levels?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Zane, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Zane

Zane Mushroom Warrior

In the beginning of the game, when most of my cards dealt 2 or 3 damage and the highest of them all was 4, 2 consistent armor cards reducing 2 damage a piece made it nearly impossible to win. 3v1 it took me a good number of rounds and 2 character deaths to deal the last 7 damage to the monster, as he kept 2 4+ roll armor 2 cards every round.

Also, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for armor to reduce fire damage, and a reliable hide armor renders all early game fire damage moot.

2. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Wait till you reach goblins, bring all the anti-shield you can because they'll block/reflection attacks and spells like they were shields with legs =/ It seems they are introducing concepts with these zones, one of much armor and one of many MANY blocks, will suck if you dont find the appropriate weapons

3. Cerebral Paladin

Cerebral Paladin Mushroom Warrior

Yeah, "Penetrating" is your friend when fighting the golemim.

4. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Stacked armour is also a pain the the wotsits. Trog Spearmen 10hp and two lots of Tough Hide = long battle, ending in defeat for me so far.

5. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

6. Zane

Zane Mushroom Warrior

For blocks (such as the goblins) I usually just use a flame spell to hit as many as possible, one spell triggers almost all of their blocks and then I can swing with my good damage dealers. But armor is different, it sticks around, and I have found very few cards with piercing, and as far as I understood piercing doesn't work if it would block all the damage, and they all dealt 2. I do have 1 violent over swing on my priest, but I don't draw it incredibly often.

By the way, does anyone else have trouble viewing those links? it always says there is no text on the page.

7. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

The "stop all damage" thing appears to be a little misleading. Apparently that only applies if the obstructing card says it's able to "stop all damage" not merely that a 2 armor would otherwise negate a 2 damage attack.

8. Zane

Zane Mushroom Warrior

That makes since, but still, reducing my potential damage output by 2 or even more in order to make it harder to be blocked seems pointless when most armor only reduces it by 2 in the first place.

9. Zane

Zane Mushroom Warrior

I guess my point is that early game, when most attacks deal a small amount of damage, permanent cards that reduce incoming attacks by a set amount are extremely potent.

10. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Using fire spray on goblins drove me NUTS, half the time all 4 goblins would block OR reflect it, then my wizards set on fire and didnt hurt a single goblin, two turns in a row ! argh

11. Zane

Zane Mushroom Warrior

Thats the point, you just burned a good 4 cards with 1. Card advantage may not be as significant in a game where you discard at the end of each turn, but its still something to consider.

12. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

13. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

I was fighting the Bronze golem thing, he had FOUR armor cards, 4 cards that block 4 damage. I know there are a few counters and with that much armor he cant really attack, but it becomes kind of a chore to whittle these guys down. Maybe expand the beginner item shop to encompass more elements and counters so anyone can bring some acid and penetration ?

14. Cerebral Paladin

Cerebral Paladin Mushroom Warrior

Yeah, it's tough when he has four armor cards, but that's when I use my penetrating attacks and then stop attacking for the turn and try to pass (or burn through my lame attacks on the offchance they get lucky) and then pass. He'll have to pitch two of the armor cards before the next round--still tough, but not impossible, especially because they fail to trigger like half the time.

15. Zane

Zane Mushroom Warrior

Penetration cards (at least all the ones that I've found) sack way too much damage output in exchange for it. Very useful if the enemy packs a lot of armor, but it takes forever to make a kill with only 2 damage a turn, and an 6 damage Trained Bludgeon or a 5 damage Big Zap can usually deal more than that even with the armor unless they have armor 4 like the golem. And I had both of those before the 2 damage piercing. Its the worst before you have access to any of that, like when fighting the kobolds the first time.