Any Card Hunters who weren't D&D players?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Cybergoblin, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Cybergoblin

Cybergoblin Kobold

I think this game is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Wondering if that is just because of all my past D&D experience - started playing Basic Box Set when I was 13 years old back in 86'.

Are there any people playing a lot who never played D&D before? What do you think of the game?

Does this game have mass appeal or am I hooked simply because of my nerd background?

Thanks!

Logan Hawkthorne likes this.
  2. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Me! I might be the only person on the dev team who wasn't/isn't a massive D&D/tabletop nerd. I always wanted to play, but the opportunity never arose. For me this is a way to engage a bit with something I otherwise missed out on.

Logan Hawkthorne and Pengw1n like this.
  3. xienwolf

xienwolf Goblin Champion

Since you specifically said D&D... I haven't.

I started on Shadowrun, and have played (and created, but only for my crew, not public distribution) many Pen & Paper games since then. But have never got around to playing actual D&D. Closest I ever came to that was Neverwinter Nights.

4. Aerach

Aerach Kobold

Only in computerised form. I have always thought these sorts of games are better with a computer doing the crunchy parts than humans. Thus the Gold Box and onwards, but never tabletop.

5. Cybergoblin

Cybergoblin Kobold

Well glad you guys are liking the game - I ask specifically about D&D because there are so many little acknowledgements to D&D (lots of classic D&D tropes). There is a ton of little tongue in cheek jokes I think that might fly over your head if your not aware of the games history and surrounding materials (MUDS).

Well hope these guys make enough money to keep improving and adding new material to this game - great game. Best 25 bucks ive spent this year.

6. ProtoZealott

ProtoZealott Kobold

Never had the chance to really play D&D, or any table top games for that matter. That said I am enjoying this game, although I like both difficult and tactic games. I just hope that the game keeps it's difficulty as it continues, cause pretty soon a lot of people are going to be complaining about it..

7. Aviar

Aviar Kobold

I think I started playing the basic edition back in '82 from what I recall. I have played a ton of PnP games since then as well as mmo's and tabletop miniature game. I really like how Card Hunters mixes so many of the different genre's together into one big whirlwind web browser of fun.
    I too, have noticed all the nods to DnD in this game, and it makes me smile each time I notice something from back then.

8. Thaeyn

Thaeyn Kobold

I like a few others here have mentioned have not played the original pen and paper incarnation of D&D, my first exposure was the infinity engine games from Bioware/Black Isle. This also peeked my intrest in D&D generally and I really love the style of the rulebooks, would love to see an in character "Cardhuntaria Rulebook".

9. tempo

tempo Kobold

I have never played any tabletop games, though I know what they are and can appreciate how Card Hunter cleverly references these games (like in the introductory text of each stage and Gary and the other characters' dialogue).