Am I The Only One That's Bothered By The Pizza Rewards For MP?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Avarice, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

Am I the only one that's bothered by the pizza rewards for MP?

I was fine when rewards were non-monetary, but now that they're rewarding pizza (=real life money) too... It seems to me that avid MP players will not be paying as much, if anything for future expansions. But those of us who prefer SP *will* have to pay for new content. In effect the SP base will be subsiding everyone's gameplay.

It doesn't seem fair to me.

neoncat likes this.
  2. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Anyone can play MP...

3. Rack

Rack Kobold

First I've heard of it, how does it work? My google-fu is too weak here.

4. To answer the question: Possibly.

Lord Feleran likes this.
  5. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

It should be taken into consideration that allt current Leagues are free of charge, but might not be in the future. This could probably be considered test runs, and a release event - I'd suspect we see varied costs and varied prices based on if entry fees are gold or pizza.

6. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

That's just begging for collusion among players. That, and I'll guarantee that the more is at stake the less "nice" the MP community will become. But that's off-topic.

My point is that I started playing CH in the first place for the SP game, and that's what I'm still here for.

But it doesn't sit right with me that I'll have to pay more for new content than many people focused on playing MP. *Somebody* is banking the rewards.

7. Pengw1n

The devs are following the league feedback (and collusion and tiebreaks have been mentioned as issues), so no need to take out anything in advance is what I'm saying. Offering your point is good, doom and gloom is not.

Flaxative likes this.
  8. Sazanami

Sazanami Orc Soldier

I still don't entirely comprehend the decision to grant pizza to winners either.
    Don't get me wrong, I am all for opening up optional content that otherwise requires pizza, but I also think the devs deserve my money. Given enough free pizza, I might not have enough incentive anymore to overcome my greedy human nature and stop paying real money for club membership.

A single league pod offers 75 (if not more for people who already have the figures) pizza per 5 players, resulting in an average of 15 pizza per player. (available every 5 hours to any player willing to participate) Given that a player needs 300 pizza per month, a player should play, on average, only 20 games per month to sustain his club membership.
    I'm also afraid that people will do similar math, but reach the conclusion that flooding the game with fake accounts is beneficial to them. (If every player made a fake account and queued for a league with both their fake account and their real account, average pizza rewards would double, because the amount of effective contestants per pod would be cut in half.)

The funny thing is, the pizza is even the least alluring aspect of the leagues. for every 25 pizza you earn (commonly less, if you split), you also get a purple chest worth 150 pizza. In my opinion, a purple chest is not just 6 times as valuable, it also feels more like a bonus, because I wouldn't normally pay real-life money for purple chests (Too much of a lottery system for me to poor money in).

My recommendation would be to cut the pizza rewards.

neoncat likes this.
  9. Pengw1n

Pizza should probably be more limited that it is now, at the least. And getting pizza in place of a previously won figured might be too generous - possibly giving a "costume token" would be more reasonable, and less about running leagues for pizza optimization.

Jayce, neoncat and Sazanami like this.
  10. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I wouldn't give anything at all in place of a previously won figure. That extra pizza is extravagant and far too tempting for good players, leading all of us to hoard prizes repeatedly and squeeze out all the lower-tier players from a great set of figures and chests which unlock new items.

I know it's discouraged, but after crushing a bunch of sub-1000 rated players lately, I'm considering joining pods just to fill them out in order to make up for the all times I played the leagues just for extra pizza...

Jayce, Flaxative and Sazanami like this.
  11. Ben_Lee

Ben_Lee Art Director, Chief Executive in charge of Laundry Staff Member

Free entry to the League games is an introductory launch special, intended to let everyone try them out (and you should, we think they are a lot of fun!). After launch week, it will cost Pizza to enter a league.

12. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

If it's only meant to be a free test drive, then shouldn't the rewards be disabled along with the entry fee?
    Giving out free pizza, even for a little while, is kind of a big deal. This just sounds really weird to me. It makes me feel just a little bit like the OP, since I'm also only personally invested in SP. Try as hard as I can to be happy for the MP guys right now, a tiny part of me is resenting the fact that I'd feel more inclined to jump back into the SP expansions if I were being similarly incentivized.

Avarice likes this.
  13. The above would not make sense if the goal was to get the most possible people actually playing, rather than be arbiters of ulimate fairness, which I assume is what it is. I applaud BM for it. The game badly needs more players.

Jarmo and Ben_Lee like this.
  14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I do feel like the prizes were a little too generous this week given the lack of entry fee—and this isn't a sour grapes thing; I "made" 600+ pizza in the last couple days and almost feel like I cheated Blue Manchu out of it (even if it's 'only' 15 dollars). I think they could have gotten players to try the leagues this week with no entry fees and reduced rewards, but I don't know.

Avarice likes this.
  15. Questor

Questor Ogre

What i dislike are the Leagues with individual teams. They give new or low ranking players a mostly disappointing experience when they are faced with legendary firestorm or high ranking dwarf decks.
    The same players keep on winning pizza because they always get the 80 pizza for the skin they would win over and over again.
    But i think this is a learning experience for Blue Manchu how they can make it better and fairer.

16. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

600+ pizza? Congratulations Flax, but I think now I'm way more offended about it than I was. That's ridiculous.

Maybe this is just "angry me" talking, but right now I'm not inclined to ever pay for future content again out of principle.

And you'll be getting it for free. So it's a lose-lose for BM.

17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I was commenting on how excessive it was. :\
    @neoncat and a couple others have mentioned similar dissatisfaction I think.
    Bleh.

18. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Weeeeeeelll... I stopped playing for pizza after I got all the skins, so my earnings were just 200. I keep signing up for leagues, but I only play for keeps if my pod is stacked with power players, and I'm playing toy builds so that low-tier players have a chance. It's kinda fun watching players rated around 1000 slowly figure out my build and adapt to it. Even got cocky once or twice and was promptly rolled over by noobs. :rolleyes:

I do hope they put the geomancers into the custom scenario editor soon, though, so I can play all I want without worrying about league prizes.

(Edit: reconciling the inconsistency of my two posts in this thread - I entered the leagues twice with the intent of earning oodles of pizza, but got on the wrong side of the random number generator both times in key matches, so I lost out on pizza despite having crushed all the new players. That was when I had a change of heart.)

Scarponi likes this.
  19. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

To be clear, Flax. Good for you. No snark intended.

neoncat: "Weeeeeeelll... I stopped playing for pizza after I got all the skins, so my earnings were just 200."

So you shared the other 400 pizza with everyone else. :) Looks like I'm the only one who came up empty. Well, that and everyone else who prefers SP.

20. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Personally I think it's kinda like if your company sponsors a nice free employee dinner, but it ends up being a seafood dinner and you don't like seafood (for the record this is pretty close to experiences I've actually had). On one hand I understand feeling left out because everyone else is getting something they enjoy and you're not. On the other hand it's an entirely gratuitous action by the company. No one is being shortchanged of what they have earned and if most people are getting a "bonus" I've found it much more enjoyable to just be happy for them. It's not possible to make a universal "gift" that everyone will enjoy to the same amount. But if the company is one that is generous, then I know eventually I will be on the receiving end while others can't take advantage. (For example, those who don't play single player are never going to get the Loot Fairy bonus - and while I'm not trying to say the Loot Fairy is equal to leagues, I'm identifying that there will always be things given out that not everyone can or likes to take advantage of.)

In the end I really encourage anyone who enjoys the game not to stop liking a good thing, just because other people are getting gratuitous things.