Aloyzo's Arsenal Official SUBMISSION Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Dieben

Dieben Lizardman Shopkeeper

2. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

First glance i was torn, still having the reign of old dodge in the back of my head. Then i was like, you need 2 of the new one anyway, and its not like this 2x dodge thing hasn't been done before. Heck, one shield is even tokenless. More Warp run, yes! Without question. But then the rarity hammer hit me, 3x rare card means this would vanish in the item pool to never be seen again.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  3. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

It would also be the debut of Dodge on boots.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  4. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

I finally dug a little into other words for a Jump Back x3 shield, and frankly, I wasn't feeling it; the directly parodied name keeps drawing my attention. At this point, the only thing really holding me back from going ahead and posting it under my joke title above is that I believe Reflexive Teleport x3 is much more accurate unto Ultimate Conflict Avoidance. However, Reflexive Teleport doesn't appear on shields. Also, since only warriors and priests get shields, it makes a lot of sense for Jump Back x3 to be considered "Conflict Avoidance" for them -- although priests do get some ranged minor attacks (and radioactive attacks which have potential to be major, especially Rad Bomb, or even Rad Terrain when stacked), thus it's a lot truer (thus funnier) for warriors. Nevertheless, vampire priests could have difficulty using this -- yet joy of having some extra Move cards, hmmmm... and for much (MUCH**) less gold than Shield Of Ultimate Dodging...

All right. Unless anyone has any last-minute ideas to bop me upside the head -- not that I believe I could either 1. very likely win the contest with this, or 2. even create another Martyr Blessing & Inspir*-something item to beat out all the others currently in Aloyzo's race -- I'll just go ahead and post (maybe tomorrow or something) what started as an off-hand joke:

Shield of Ultimate Conflict Avoidance
    Shield (Level 9 (minortoken) Rare)
    Jump Back, Jump Back, Jump Back

Clearly, it could be min-maxed to Level 8 somehow, but pssh, then it loses the whole point. $E^ b

** And whoa! I've been thinking it was Epic this whole time. I just checked Vazak's formula again, and it's only Rare. $8^ | Sadly, this all by itself might make it too unfavorable for Aloyzo since its dodgier counterpart is full-blown Legendary... Mmm...

5. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

If you want to make it tokenless, guess what card has a perfect name, illustration and flavour text to fit with the item's name? Cowardly.

6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Cowardice is based upon fear, but conflict avoidance may be based upon principle. Allusions to forebearance, distancing, or simply being elsewhere might fit as a name.

7. Aerendhil

Aerendhil Ogre

or conflict avoidance is an excuse for cowardice.
    not implying anything.

8. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

2x jump back, 1 cowardly strikes me as "unsteady, indecisive, weak minded". Or simply jumpy.

9. Founder

Founder Hydra

I've wanted Dodge and Clumsy on an item together, because it's an interesting combination - you would usually end up in a position facing away from the attacker after dodging and not in any position to fight back.

10. ParodyKnaveBob

Dodge x2 + ______
    Shield of Penultimate Dodging $;^ }

And yeah...
    Cowardly, Jump Back, Jump Back
    ...illustrates really nicely, (and their combined flavor texts even go together, noted,) but others have already commented, it's a different kind of flavor -- plus again it loses the point of parody, and then ontop that, JBx3 just seems a lot more usable (even if really niche) than JBx2+C, but then, I guess Holy-only priests wouldn't have to fear discarding a bunch of cards... About flavor: I understand why so many people would go for Cowardly and Fright this go 'round, but Valenzik strikes me as the non-cowardly non-frightened type when reading the story as presented -- nevermind that Aloyzo might be cowardly and/or frightened, but anyway -- thus I moreso like the idea of avoiding conflict on principle than mere spinelessness.

11. Founder

Founder Hydra

Valenzik's Guidance (Human Skill) (Rare, Level 11, (minortoken))
    Cowardly
    Advanced Battlefield Training
    Retreat

The point is to have an altruistic character, but one who can't easily give attacks to his allies.

Thoughts?

12. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

reminds me more of my fearful commander theme who sends his man to shield him, fight for him. Even more so since he CAN pass on his attacks just fine.

13. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

No it's a subpar item compared to many others of the same or lower(!) rarity.

WexMajor and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  14. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

Another couple items I had in mind for this contest but didn't go for in the end:

Bleeding Heart Shield
    Divine Item
    Bloodied Block, Bloodied Block, Wimpy
    Lv6 Tokenless Epic

Gift Bearer
    Divine Skill
    Defender's Block, Inspiration, Altruism
    Lv17 Minor Token Rare

Thought both were fun and interesting build options. 1st one could provide a decent tokenless shield option though wimpy is pretty rough at times. 2nd one might be slightly OP since it could get a 3rd DB on priests but I thought had a decent amount of flavor.

15. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

I actually found use for it in one ranked build, on a cause fumble heavy priest. You could call the character a peacekeeper in the spirit of the current AA theme. All 3 cards either contribute to drawing more remote blocks or can potentially split up a confrontation.

16. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Rarity != Power. There should be no correlation between rarity and power.

17. Except when it comes to staves....

18. JinxedSaying

JinxedSaying Kobold

Not sure if the question was originally intended to be an indictment against Stopping, Dropping, Rolling Shoes but I guess I'll take the time to defend my item.

It's probably fair to argue that Fashionable Ball And Chain is a little below the power curve for boots, because it doesn't move your whole team, and if you just want immovable, there's Goat Boots. At the same time, I think Stopping, Dropping, Rolling Shoes should also be compared to Sticky Slippers, which is the (only?) other 2 trait boot, and is (I think) at least playable if not straight strong. I think there's a good chance that Stopping, Dropping, Rolling Shoes could be playable, or at least worthy of testing out, since in exchange for the downside of Trip (which I admit is significant), you get a pretty powerful option in Violent Spin.

I don't think the point is to just make the strongest possible boot (for one, it'd probably be better with Squeamish instead of Trip), but I think Stopping, Dropping, Rolling Shoes is both interesting compared to current options and flavorful. ;)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    ParodyKnaveBob and Dargenom like this.
  19. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

It wasn't. FB&C boots were mentioned, and I remembered the controversy when they were selected. I was curious whether anyone had found them playable enough to use in a build, and was happy to hear @Robauke had.
    Your boots are similar, but not the same. I doubt I'd use them, but there are a lot of popular items in PvP that don't see much use in the campaign, and vice-versa. If you're satisfied with their playability, that's what counts.

20. ParodyKnaveBob

@Sir Veza, btw, I've never used those boots, either, and I'm pretty sure I've made use of all the other AA items so far (except @Lucky Dice's fun Circle just b/c (sorry to say) it's legendary, and I was saving my gold for when something would pop up I'd be much more likely to use (grrr, like that Iljin Skull I missed out on $F^ \ but anyway n/m that) -- oh yeah, and Traveler From the North just because the game has never even presented that one to me). Like you, I'm glad someone found a use for it (Rob in this case).

@JinxedSaying, did you see my question on your item's order of cards contrasted with its name? $:^ J