Aggro/Control/????

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Bluemage, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

So, back when I played Magic, there was a general split of archetypes between Aggro, Control, and Combo.

Aggro we definitely have in CH, with things like the Cult of the Bejeweled.

And control, obviously, represented by control wizards.

Is there a third side this game of rock paper scissors? Does Frenzy and Vibrant Pain count as a combo deck? What do you all think?

2. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

There are mini combos like Elvish Insight + Devastating Blow which is easy to assemble but not that good or All Out Attack + high damage attack + Surestrike Blessing which is very good but hard to assemble. Draw based combo decks used to exist but they weren't fun to play against and the draw limit killed them off.

3. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I think terrain attachments/cleansing ray decks may count as combo decks.

The main problem with this whole way of classifying decks in MtG vs CH is that in MtG you have no (or very little) constrains in the way you are allowed to build your decks, while in CH you have to cope with what slots are available to each class, and to the fact you select items (i.e. bundles of cards) rather than individual cards.

As a consequence of that, you can certainly build very focused decks, but you can't freely build decks which are focused on any given card.

Back to classifying builds/decks, I think an important archetype could be said to be Mobility Decks (focused on Move cards, including assist moves, and eventually supported by control spells). While these might partially overlap with aggro decks (as most aggro strats rely on lots of mobility), I still think these can deserve to be classified as a separate archetype.

I'm pretty sure more legit archetypes of CH decks could be identified.

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Vampires done in some styles qualify as combo.

To Infinity and Beyond was a combo before the draw limit.

I saw a triple priest healing + big damage build being played in the 1600s a couple weeks back. It looked a lot like combo.

peonprop mentioned All Out Attack, that's a classic (neoncat's X-Strike variants are all, in essence, combo decks). peonprop's new brew with Feinting Strike and Advanced Battlefield Training definitely qualifies.

And, of course, there're some horrible combos that just suck, like Stexe's contest party that tried to kill with Roots + Inspiration + Punishing Bolt.

Pawndawan likes this.