About collector achievements on steam

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by melanion, Jul 23, 2015.

1. melanion

melanion Kobold

Just a quick question, do I need the treasures to get steam achievements? I´m not sure and I´m afraid of selling them because that could mean to grinding again for them

2. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Yes, treasure is counted for the collector achievements too.

3. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Just keep 1 of each kind and sell the excess. Common/Uncommon/Rare treasure is not really that hard to find via regular play, no grinding required. Epic and especially Legendary treasures are much harder to hoard, so I would advise you refrain from selling the very last copy of any of those unless you absolutely need the gold RIGHT NOW (which sometime happens, say when an awesome legendary is up for sale in the Daily Deal or Randimar's)

Pro-tip: when opening a chest, you can hover on each item and the UI will display how many copies of it you currently have in your collection.

4. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

You SURE about that?
    Because I got my common, uncommon, and rare basic set achievements just fine without them. :X

Of course, they applied as soon as I loaded up Steam, so it may have been some weird account syncing error.

5. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I think @Jon mentioned the fact steam achievements would be retroactively awarded as long as you log in with your pre-existing account.

I have no idea if that also applies to the collector achievements though. For instance, I didn't get the Prince and King achievs despite the fact I've hit 1700+ rank several times in the past.

6. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I didn't get them when I started using the Steam version of Card Hunter and I've always sold all treasures. After I gathered all common treasures again I got the All Basic Commons achievement. So in my experience, you need to have them all in your inventory at the same time to get the achievement. It doesn't count if you had them at some point, you need them now.

Bandreus likes this.
  7. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Note also that there are two Rare treasures that can only be obtained once, so if you sell them you'll never see them again. (Each has the same name as the module that gives it to you.) However, those are not counted for achievements (nothing flagged noLoot is needed).

DunDunDun and Bandreus like this.
  8. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Just keep in mind, I NEVER not-sold a treasure item before, and thus didn't have a single one in inventory at the time of syncing.
    So with your circumstances being true, looks like
    A: I lucked out on the first few achievements
    B: I can kiss the next few basic set collection achievements goodbye :p

9. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

See here for an official statement from Blue Manchu: http://steamcommunity.com/app/293260/discussions/0/541906989395155210/
    It's from a pinned discussion titled "Achievements and Stats" in the Card Hunter Steam community section.

"Do you have to keep items in your collection to get the collecting achievements?
    Yes, in order to get recognition for collecting an item, you must take it into your collection (i.e. take out of a chest or purchase it) and then keep it until you reach the achievement in question."

Were you one of the users testing the Steam client on the test server? You could have gotten the collection achievements from there if you had lots of items (including treasures) on the test server. Kalin has reported about this happening.

I know from another game entirely that Steam accounts don't care at all under which actual game account you play in a game which has its own accounts. The Steam account used while playing will gain any achievements which trigger during play with no care as to whose in-game account the playing happens under. This of course requires that it is possible to login into the game with arbitrary user info and this is why Steam Card Hunter does not allow it (along with many if not most online games). The test server accounts are a special case.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    Bandreus likes this.
  10. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Never used the test server before :X

Thanks for the official quote, though.
    Guess I need to start...
    ..nah, screw achievements, I want my shiny gold :X