A few questions from someone who just started the game

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Cyath, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Cyath

Cyath Kobold

Hi all! I'm quite enjoying my time with Card Hunter so far, just had a few questions to ask the people here. I've read through all the FAQs and help but I'm still confused about some stuff.

1. What level range is the loot that you get in multiplayer? It is locked to your SP characters' levels, is it all around Level 18, or does it range even farther?

2. Is there any point to making a SP team which isn't one of each class?

3. There's something on the site about getting a Free Starter Pack every day when you are past 5 Renown...I'm at 6 but I haven't received anything?

4. Is there any way to earn Pizza Slices in-game? (i.e without purchasing it with IRL cash)

2. Questor

Questor Ogre

1. Randomly from all levels
    2. Yes, some adventures are are easier with certain builds. And Priest gear is quite bad in the beginnng compared to common and uncommon gear of Warriors and Wizards.
    3. No, you get only one as part of the beginners guide. After you finish "Rescue form Shieldhaven Prison" just restard your tab and go into the MP section.
    4. Yes, you can make custom maps and if they are chosen for the Mauve Manticore, you get Pizza for them. But that is rare, so the answer is more of a no for most players.

3. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

1. It's level 1-19, completely randomly. It's not locked to SP levels.
    2. There is, 1-1-1 is just easiest to find usable items for when you're new (in other words, you have someone to use all stuff you find and are not running out of suitable items like can happen if you have several of the same class).
    3. There's nothing like that in the game, where did you find that? Can you link it, please?
    4. You get 150 free Pizza during the campaign (don't use them for what Gary says, there are better uses), but there is no other way to get it without using real money. At one point, some MP leagues had Pizza awards, but they haven't had that in a long while. (EDIT: Oh yeah, the map making for Mauve Manticore, forgot about that. There hasn't been a new issue for a looong time, though.)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    Flaxative likes this.
  4. Cyath

Cyath Kobold

I can't remember where I saw the free Starter thingy, if I do I will link it.

Oh yeah I had another question - how are your match rankings calculated? Do they use a modified ELO system or something like that?

5. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yep! It's basically just an Elo system with a modifier that ramps it up from 0 as you win your first few dozen games.

6. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

You're probably remembering this bit from the wiki: "Newbie PROTIP: Gary gives a FREE Starter Pack when you login after renown Level 5!"

You only get a free Starter Pack once, not every day.

Oh, and welcome to Card Hunter! I hope you will continue enjoying your time with the game!

7. Cyath

Cyath Kobold

Shucks, I knew free Starters were too good to be true. :)

Anyway, so if I lose games my rating goes back down right? Even to Gary?

8. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Yes. But as you win games you'll be playing against better and better players, so don't worry too much about rating, just try to get better at playing MP and play your best. You'll get up there soon enough.

9. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

I would add this about pizza, some tips I wish I had when I started playing:
    1. Save at least 50 pizza to buy the Tezkal Elves party. This is by far the best of all they have for sale, with 3 very good epic items, especially Whiteglow Flail, which is maybe the best weapon for clerics in MP. This doesn't mean you have to use that build in MP, you can switch to humans or dwarves if you want, but it's worth it just to get those items. The rest of the starter parties aren't worth it at all.
    2. NEVER use pizza to purchase chests. It's not worth it. I would say the same about figurines, but that's just my opinion. The chest thing is a fact.
    3. The most efficient way to spend pizza in the game is buying the Club Membership, which gurantees you one extra item of the same rarity as the rarest you get with every chest. Especially good for the gold chests in MP and the quests in SP. Of course this is only good if you play Card Hunter regularly, because the membership is for a month.
    4. Try not to buy the Treasure hunts separately. Buying the basic edition is the best way to do this. $25 may seem a bit high, but it adds 11 more adventures, which is a lot, and it gives you one month club membership, plus 100 pizza and some figurines. It's much, much better than buying them separately. On the other hand, the AotA bundle offers less, but at a lesser price, and what it really gives you is the ultimate Card Hunter challenge for SP, with 3 level 18 adventures which are above anything else in terms of difficulty. They can be hard even for experienced players with very good equipment.
    5. Do the treasures hunts while you have the membership! This is very important, because this special modules have a guaranteed epic at the end of the last adventure. While this epic item is most of the times bad, if you have the membership you will receive another guranteed epic item (hoping it's a good one), or, at best, a legendary one.

Kalin likes this.
  10. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

All good advice, one clarification:

...which guarantees you one extra item of the same *or higher rarity as the highest *guaranteed rarity item you get in any chest.

A chest that guarantees a minimum of an uncommon, will drop at least another uncommon for the club membership. But it is entirely possible in that chest to have a epic or legendary drop in the chest, and still only an uncommon on the pillow.

Jacques likes this.
  11. Questor

Questor Ogre

There are quite a few opinions about pizza, here is mine.
    If you belong to the people who never invest into ftp games then save all the free pizza you will get, which is 150 and buy the Attack of the Artifacts bundle, which costs 150.
    The Tezkal Elves is a nice pack and it is has the most useful items but it is still not worth investing pizza into it. A few items are very good but you will not have the item collection to get the most out of it.
    If you do invest into games then always have at least 300 pizza ready. That way if you see a really good Legendary you can start your membership while the lootwindow is still open and unlock that item.
    Otherwise it can happen that you only see useless junk for a month in the club window.
    And if that happened and you unlocked the club membership you can start to finish the quest. Those are the same adventures with some limitations which you can achieve after you finished the campaign. You get at least a rare if you beat one and plus you get at least a rare in the club window.

Kalin likes this.
  12. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

This isn't necessarily essential. I've bought pizza and then used that pizza to open up a membership all while at the treasure screen. It's nice to see that glass shatter and your captive Legendary freed for use. :)

13. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Yes, this is true. You don't need to have the 300 pizza ready, you can buy the pizza and then buy the membership with that pizza after you see an item you like at the club slot, and you still get that item. That's why, if your membership expired, you should never renew it until you see something good at the membership slot. It could be weeks, days or hours.

Also, I forgot to mention the Loot Fairy previosuly: it rewards players who have spent money in the game because of 2 things: firstly, because you have good chances to receive something good in the club slot, and this is twice a day we're talking about. And secondly, because it can appear at the treasure hunts, which must be unlocked by spending pizza.

14. Cyath

Cyath Kobold

Was reading up around the site and I saw that you could potentially get Pizza from League prizes...is this true?

15. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Yes, but only from the leagues that cost pizza to join.

16. Cyath

Cyath Kobold

Oh, that makes sense I guess. What does buying a pack (like Attack of the Artifacts) give you? Should I just buy individual adventures instead?

Also, I've run into a problem where I have pretty crappy items for some of my slots. Should I just not equip anything in them? That way, I don't have to draw bad cards...there is no "library death" in this game right? :)

17. Cyath

Cyath Kobold

I just discovered that if you don't at least equip a weapon in your slot, you just get even worse cards. :(

About the guaranteed epics in the Treasure Hunts - do they scale to your level? Or the dungeon's level?

18. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

It states what guaranteed epic it will be and it won't change. They are mostly crappy, yes.
    And you can check in game what these packs contain. Adventures on their own cost 40 pizza each but if bought together only 30 pizza each.

19. doog37

doog37 Hydra

Cyath...
    What is good is all relative, when you don't have any power tokens available to equip items, most items are meh... there are a few rare or better items that are sweet for 0 tokens but for the most part it is about getting the most from your meh.
    I will agree with the Tekzel Elves having the best equipment. The equipment they had when I was first playing was not that good.
    If you really like the game either get the Starter pack or enough pizza to get 1 month of membership and unlock the base treasure hunts. I went the latter because the figures with the starter pack didn't interest me. Doing the treasure hunts while club memebership is active is key as the bous epic + items can be sweet (where as the standard items are mostly limited).
    I would advise new players to go 1-1-1 just due to the spread of good items, unless you have an excessive amount of good items for one class you are just going to wind up using inferior items. There is some benefit to having a replacement or 2 and it will be required if you want to complete all of the challenges (I'm not even halfway there) but personally I think the MP is a lot of fun and getting through a good amount of the SP adventure before getting sucked into MP is ideal.

Note your items and character are common between Sp and MP so if you get an awesome drop in one you can use it in the other (assuming your SP party is leveled enough), but your characters are aways level 18 in MP and can only level up in SP start as either level 1 or a level 10 character.

Good luck have fun and avoid elf wizards they are very squishy and the extra step or 2 is typically not an advantage.

20. Turbo164

Turbo164 War Monkey

What I did was:

1-1-1 party "A Team"

Once they got high enough level they stopped getting XP from the early adventures, I started a 1-1-1 "B Team" to farm those adventures. Eventually a C team too once the B's were level 5-ish.

This led to me getting some nice hand-me-downs/hand-me-ups, and for a few missions I'd replace one of my A team members with a B team sibling if I needed a second wizard or whatnot.

hatchhermit and Lord Feleran like this.