3 warriors, 3 wizards, and 3 priests walk into a campaign ...

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Tobold, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Tobold

Tobold Goblin Champion

I'm on my third playthrough of the campaign, but up to now I only varied the races: First group was elf-human-dwarf, second was all dwarves, third all humans. So seeing that it was a requirement for some quests, I was wondering how a group with 3 characters of the same class would do.

Does anybody here have experience with a group of 3 warriors, or one with 3 wizards, or one with 3 priests? Does it work reasonably well on different maps, or is it missing the synergy of a mixed group?

2. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

I haven't tried it in single player, but with a decent collection a single class party in multiplayer can be super effective.

3. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

I've been doing just that to beat those quests, though I haven't done Citrine Demon Portal's yet.

I ran 3 wizards through a lot of the lower levels without an issue, actually it was pretty easy and I also used it to beat some of the early quests for "party has one health".

3 priests was also doable, though when I tried it for a while I found I really wanted to swap at least one priest for something else. The tougher zombies were getting problematic.

Haven't tried 3 warriors much yet in campaign (have been beating Mom with it in MP though). I'm not sure how that would work against the tougher zombies or ogres in later levels.

4. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Beat most of the campaign back before the wipe with an all wizard party. was quite difficult

5. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

Biggest problems probably arise from the fact that you need much more loot to deck out 3 of the same class. But once you get all 3 guys reasonable equipped, it should be possible. But it will still be much harder to optimize your loadout for specific adventure.

I'm currently experimenting with 2 of the same class, and there's plenty of "not-so-good" equipment I have to use because I haven't gotten enough loot yet...

6. Peseto

Peseto Mushroom Warrior

I tried an all wizard set-up on the first play-through, and while it's only a bit tougher (due to limited loot) in the first levels, once you hit level 14-15 it gets nearly impossible. Then you need to either farm lower levels for loot, or switch your party a bit.

7. Unprepared4u

Unprepared4u Mushroom Warrior

Yeah, this game should give you loot based on your party, instead of just dropping random crap. It would not only make progression a bit smoother and less unreliable, but it would make non-standard parties more viable in both campaign and multiplayer where its a constant struggle to get enough loot to fill up more than one character of the same class.

8. The Claw

The Claw Kobold

Well, imho getting random loot is quite normal, especially in an old-fashin-like RPG game. But it's te resell price which is too low. Selling for 1 or 2 gp is completely stupid. At least you should be able to sell unco and rare item for a quarter or a third of the price.

9. Unprepared4u

Yup. Selling items is almost pointless in this game. I just don't bother unless I want to sell an epic or a legendary, and usually I don't want to sell those..

I'm not saying the loot wouldn't still be random, but if I have 3 warriors, I'd very much like if that random loot is all warrior items. Increase the resell prices would alleviate the issue a bit, but only if prices were increased dramatically (as you said, 1/3 or 1/4 of buying price). Considering the way its setup now, I doubt Jon would be willing to make that large of a change. On top of overhauling every items sell prices, it would also have an affect on store prices, pizza to gold ratio, chest costs, etc.

10. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Monsters don't generally assess who's invading their territory and adjust their treasure accordingly. Just sayin' ;)

Haxzploid and Zoorland like this.
  11. Jayce

Jayce Hydra

Just to level up characters for the appropriate quests, I've done most of the campaign missions with single class parties (one of each race). It's handy if you've built up a reasonable item collection to deck your guys out in. It's actually a lot of fun, as you find yourself playing in very different ways =D

12. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

I think it really depends on how much "grinding" you do.

For example, I've been more or less replaying the 4 level 17 adventures daily. Been doing this for at least a couple of weeks, maybe longer.

2 things this taught me.

1) I think the game is actually very generous with it's random loot. Most days I pull at least a couple of rare items from those chests, I get an epic almost daily, and legendaries about every week or so. This adds up over time. For example, I noticed today that I have now have 9 Incense Of Roiled Air .

2) When you replay adventures at the same level you eventually end up with tons of commons and uncommons of the same items. I know it's time to sell something when I have a complete row of them in the collection view. I don't make a ton of gold from it, but it adds up. I normally do all my selling at the rare shop. The stores keep your items until they reset, so the rare shop keeps them around for a week. I manage to stock that place with 3-4 pages of treasure and items each week.

13. Unprepared4u

Ah, well I was coming from the perspective of a guy that only plays PvP.
    I'll definitely do the campaign when the game gets released, thanks for the insight.

I still think it should be a bit less difficult to do non-traditional parties from level 1, regardless of how you implement it.

14. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Fair enough. So you haven't really played the campaign yet? Only playing MP would be an interesting way to approach the game, do you try to get to the epic chest regularly?

15. Lecutter

Lecutter Kobold

That's some bloody good thinking! I also like buying the random gold chests meself. Found I've done pretty good with then for random rares and what not and it's usually better than what I can buy in the shops. And in any game that utilized money you can never have too much of the filthy lucre IMO!

16. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Before the reset I completed the campaign with all of those; 3 warrior, 3 wizard, and 3 priest parties. Early on I ran into a lot of trouble with 3 warriors thanks to the prevalence of Parry on certain enemies, but those maps are all much easier now (and some of them are just plain gone). Still, on troublesome adventures it might help to run one guy who is specifically there to burn through Parries. Same with monkeys later and their Acrobatic Flip cards. 3 Priests is a bit of a slow burn, but they're nice in that they have so very many ways to draw out blocks from enemies without wasting good attacks. 3 Wizards only was an issue very late game due to their relatively low health and an abundance of area-effect cards. Those acorn attacks in particular were murder to groups of only wizards - you may remember me lamenting facing those damnable trees. Otherwise they're only really slowed down by Resistant Hide Pack a bit of armor destruction and some backup Arcane spells and you're good to go.

I do prefer a mixed group - I never like leaving home without at least one wizard for the sheer utility and firepower they bring - but mono-type runs are entirely feasible.

17. Unprepared4u

God no, it's horribly time consuming. Is it even worth the effort compared to the campaign rewards?
    I spent like 60$ on Pizza (REGRETS), and I do between 3 and 12 duels every day (early chests), so I've come along nicely enough without too much grinding.

18. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

So you get a fair amount of chests. I'd probably compare that to a couple of campaign levels. The Gold chests from MP generally seem better than what you'd get from an average campaign level. And the epic chest offered by MP should be better than what you can reliably do replaying campaigns, but by all accounts it is very time consuming to get. I can easily beat a level I'm prepared for in under 30 minutes. MP, including the wait time, seems to take upwards of 4+ hours to get the epic chest (I'm basing this on what I've read since I don't have the patience for the MP wait at higher levels).

I don't know why, but I'm less bothered replaying a level I've beaten dozens of times than I am waiting 5 minutes for the MP matchmaker. Just the way I'm wired.

19. Generica

Generica Mushroom Warrior

As far as I can tell the MP chests are lvl 1-18 items and treasure, completely random. I'm guessing they have the same rate of uncommons and rares as the campaign chests.