Rate my Randimar's Rarities

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Will-, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Ector

Ector Hydra

It's very very good. Laser Cutdown is much better with damage pumpers like Mass Frenzy or Blind Rage. But the real gold here is Disorienting Block. Your warrior team will be much more deadly with such cards, as you reduce the distance between yourself and the enemy wizard as a reaction.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  2. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Randimar brought some pretty nice stuff this week. Pity I don't intend on buying much.

Bloome's Barging Boots - The Telepod Jaunt coming on Sky Traveler's Boots is also nice, but at least you don't put a Cloth Armor in your deck...

Blox's Unyielding Bulwark - Not sure if this is worth spending the major token over Throon's Quick Laser Shield, or the 2k gold over Croker's Lucky Laser Shield...

The rest

Barnum's Burning Bauble - This would be my first but still not gonna get it, as I have burning-wiz equipment in abundance already.
    Brin's Storm Locket - This would be my 7th double FS tokenless, but since FS speedfarming is not as effective as it used to be I'll rather save the gold
    Reaper's Scythe - Have two already, and I don't see myself using more than those ever.
    Red Flame - 4 of these are enough I guess.
    White Flame - Considering how I never used the one I have, I'll pass on a second.

3. Ector

Ector Hydra

4. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

I bought flame warper a few weeks ago. It's not as good as Reality Warper, but it's a decent item for a fire wizard. Unlike most of the Accelerate Time items, flame warper self-synergises. ie. the flame spit gets a boost from the accelerate time. I use it, but I wouldn't buy a second one.

5. UiA

UiA Ogre

I bought Bloome's boots last week from Randis after mulling it over a bit. Very unique item. 2 step attacks and a potential surprise 15 unblockable dmg ? Certainly while they might not be top-tier, handy to have around, just in case.

Sir Veza and Bandreus like this.
  6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

7. kyokasuigetsu

kyokasuigetsu Kobold

So, what do you think about Rolf's Reliable Platemail? I like focused items like this, but the major and in an armor... I'd like to try a 6 reliable mail build for fun, and get crushed by a sundersong lol.
    Anyways, thoughts? Have you tried it? Is it worth it?

8. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Armor Cards don't generally do much for you aside from sitting in your hand and soaking some damage. Furthermore (as you pointed out yourself) armor removal is always a huge concern (Sundering Strike or other cards, it doesn't really matter).

Because of that, and for various other reasons, experienced players generally dislike spending tokens on the armor slot, especially when you're not getting some extra fancy card in return.

Keep in mind, for instance, you can equip The Softener for the exact same token cost.

That being said though, I do regard Rolf's Reliable Platemail as a fine piece of equipment. If it'd be useful in the current meta, it's a whole other matter. Also, I do not have first-hand experience using it.

As long as my opinion is concerned, I would not suggest purchasing it. But if you really really want to experiment with it, sure go along.

Christofff likes this.
  9. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

In a meta full of vamps or fire mages, this is definitly a great item. As it stands, the meta is full of melee and just some wizards, which are mostly control wizards. I would purchase it, if you dont mind spending the gold. So if you have >10k and most of the other stuff, it is fine. Otherwise I would wait for something better.

10. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

As a SP only, I don't like it. I did manage to get it as a drop, but sold it away, since I see no reason to have items just to collect dust.

I have Sturdy Armors, If I want my warriors to use Reliable Mails; It's only an epic, so it's easier to find and cheaper to buy. It also requires (minortoken) to use. I really don't think that 1 damage absorbtion more is worth 2000 GP extra or the (majortoken).

11. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

I find your arguments unconvincing. Disorienting block, being a block not an attack, in general makes your team less deadly, not more. The situatuion where you close the gap to melee range on an enemy wizard is just that- situational. Gimme a defenders block or parry or anther step attack over this block any day.

Re- yur first statement- why bother saying this when ALL melee attacks are better with blind rage /MF? Examining laser cutdown in isolation- i think it's pretty weak, plain and simple.

So, why not be honest and just say this instead of confusing the issue?

As for Laser Rapier, with a situational block which doesn't give card advantage, two weak attacks, I think it's average at best. Ill take Nova Axe over it all day.

The weird thing is, you've been positing on this forum for awhile. So I'm surprised you haven't realised by now that unsupported sweeping statements do little to make your words convincing. Yet its nice that you make the effort to write and add links to your posts. But I wonder, why are you really making these posts?

Plelase note Ector- I am not doing this to insult you, but in the interests of writing good clear useful articles for current and future cardhunter players. Best wishes

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  12. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

Actually I think it's a fair point. Increasing the damage on laser cutdown increases it's chances of being used for a kill and thus getting an extra use out of it.

That said, I still don't really like it that much. I haven't pulled off a single kill with laser cutdown yet. Also, the (majortoken)(majortoken) token cost is a bit much for that rapier.

13. Fry

Fry Ogre

Disorienting Block can generate some substantial virtual card advantage by either closing gaps or opening them. It doesn't generate the raw +1 card that Parry does, but it's much more flexible (in that it works against both melee and magic, and can create opportunities for allies, etc.). If the enemy wizard thought you were going to be 2 farther away due to Wind/Telekinesis, and actually you're a net of 2 closer from Disorienting Block, that can swing a game.

As Vakaz says, Cutdown can get potentially get double mileage out of buffs (or triple or more, for campaign players :p). Also, remember that the damage isn't as low as it might appear - if the die rolls low, it's likely to generate an additional +5 damage (Laser Spray, Battery Explosion) or +8 damage (Meltdown). Cutdown is no Strong Hack, but it's probably at least as good as Trained Bludgeon.

Christofff likes this.
  14. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

For laser weapons, I would say that Slice and Dice is a much better use of tokens than the Laser Rapier. For a minor and major, you get two excellent step attacks with a block remover and a laser strike. As well, I would definitely pick starknife over laser rapier anyday if it was just down to major token ettsc weapons.

15. Ector

Ector Hydra

You refuse to analyze all the possibilities this wonderful block provides. Chasing a wizard is just the simplest of them, and, as Fry pointed out, blocking an enemy Wind/Telekinesis and simultaneously closing the distance is extremely powerful. Placing an enemy on lava, placing him close to another teammate, pushing him out of the victory area - all this can be done as a reaction. Yes, Disorienting Block doesn't provide card advantage, but it provides tempo advantage and placement control, both precious and very rare for the warriors. I am not going to argue whether Defender's Block is better, but you are paying a lot for it (both in tokens and in the bad cards you generally include into your deck with it), and there are only shields with it.

Vakaz already answered that, thanks.

You've refused to analyze the Disorienting Block, then you've refused to think about Laser Cutdown and why it's better with damage pumpers, now you call Disorienting Block "situational" and Laser Cutdowns "weak"? In my world "situational" means "usable/advantageous only rarely". Can you imagine a situation where a 3+ "block any" that moves both you and the attacker wouldn't be usable or advantageous? You can just push the enemy away and move your character to the other side with it, saving his life! As for the Laser Cutdown, the simple math shows that it deals 5.5 damage on average, compared to 3 damage for Purging Strikes on your Nova Axe. I'm not saying that Laser Cutdown is better, but calling it "weak" isn't appropriate at all. Call it "blunt" if you want, since it lacks the useful purging tech, but it isn't weak. It can kill even without any pumps, especially on a good die roll. Did you bother to read what "Major erratic damage" does?

Because people here are accustomed to think and analyze, at least most of them, and they easily understand what I am trying to say. I don't know why you cannot, but, please, don't claim that as my fault. I cannot make you think.

16. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Bern's is quite unique, so I would buy it because of that. On the other hand, it's not that strong and there are cheaper epic alternatives (Impervious Panoply & Emperor's Plate), so no need to go broke buying it.

@karadoc: Grats on the Asmod's Telekinetic Chain, I'm still waiting for my first. :)

I'd buy Forrtescue's Feathered Cap, since it''s the best minor token Sprint, Team! helmet. I'd really like to try 3x Human Warriors with 2x Sprint, Team! each (Bloody Command + helmet).

I wouldn't even dream about Yancley's Boots. There are much better boots with Reliable Mail & Energizing Move.

They both seem fun, but I wouldn't actively seek them. I think Bloome's Barging Boots is stronger / more different "upgrade" from it's lower rarity counterparts than Blox's Unyielding Bulwark. I generally avoid buying 3 max usable items (shields, helms, armor) unless I really need it for certain build. In you case, I think it comes down how much gold you have and how close are you on completing your legendary collection.

I haven't tried it and would continue passing to buy it, unless it would be the last few legendaries I'd need.

I have Zero G Combat Helm in my RR. As mentioned earlier, it's not the strongest Sprint, Team! nor Mimetic Crown helmet, but would I want to combine those cards in one item?

17. Ector

Ector Hydra

This is a serious mistake IMHO.
    Slice And Dice is really a good weapon for (majortoken)(minortoken), and you may prefer it if you need the yellow token elsewhere, but most of the time people prefer to invest their tokens in weapons, and Laser Rapier is much better. Damage isn't everything, and most times a good tech is better than slightly more damage. The weapons differ in 4 cards, and Vicious Thrust is much worse than Laser Thrust (non-penetrating attack and less damage), Laser Strike is worse than Fiery Stab (less range, roughly the same damage over time), and Disorienting Block is much better than just a decent non-step attack, it provides the invaluable tech. Overall, Slice and Dice has too little movement to be really good, and no ranged attacks.

Starknife is also good, but weaker. It has 4 attacks, and two of them deal just 3 damage without pumps. Laser Block is very good, but an average laser attack isn't going to be very powerful, though it still IS going to be dangerous to your character.

18. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

Well, the slice and dice definitely lets me take advantage of those nice gold token helmets as well as letting me not run as many boiling armors on my wiz :) As a block, I feel that laser block is better than disorienting block depending on your build not only for the fun factor but also for the extra attack that you get (for example if you have force fields or nimbus then you want to unload as many attacks as you can). Then again, laser cutdown does sound much better than penetrating cut, so you have a point.

Flaxative likes this.
  19. Fry

Fry Ogre

Wow, I had somehow been missing that Laser Thrust is Penetrating in addition to all the other awesome it does. Crazy!

20. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Finally, some real analysi. Still notonvinced on disorienting block, youve judt created more specific situations which proves my original point that it is situationa.

Anywya re laser cutdow, my apologies, I confused laser cutdown with flaring laser. I'd still take purging strike ove it though all day every day.

And yet As I write this you make another sweeping post essentially stating that laser rapier is better than both slice and dice AND starknife. This untrue for so many reasons.

Ector you seem like a smart person with ability to evaluate cards and items soundly, if pushed. Yet you skew them. so I ask you again and for last time,why do you really post here? Please be honest with yourself at least. For example, I post here to occassionly moan but mostly help and feel good helping.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015