Aloyzo's Arsenal Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Who will use these boots? lol

My item got like 10 likes but it didn't appear in the video :(

Lucky Dice and timeracers like this.
  2. Vholes

Vholes Thaumaturge

Internet points are their own reward, Sabbath.

Congrats to the winner! Tres chackle.

3. Rebel7284

Rebel7284 Ogre

Congratulations Redde!

I am glad my item inspired discussion, that was the intent!

I will point out that Laser Block reads, in part "If this blocks a Magic or Projectile card, create a random Magic Laser Attack and put it in your hand.", so there is actually no issue with Projectiles ever being created (unless there is an implementation bug).

4. Well, this new item has perhaps the best name ever put on a pair of boots. It's also pretty good for filling spots the very niche but fun Highlander builds. Thanks and congratulations to Redde.

Also, I know you mentioned it, but I still was expecting you to briefly comment on the
    ATTCRNLAP2PEOTISIWAHAAJAJBALDTTWEABEAPCCTATSO-SEWCSAP4MAIHR2TAITMASCOC+BTWIJW2SICNOGITTRSRRFSTGASWYWOCSYCSLBOOYTAIKSAOBBITIWWALABMCATS2HSCTTWTOWYCBUECPTRR2PSSIYNAWPMMIUNAMDIKIKOCBAT4HCAAEIIDWIBGAT2MM4RMAAMFWAHGBCAIKWCMTICGA Slippers because, yeah.

Just going to ask, has having multiple winners been considered for Aloyzo's? Or is there a developmental reason for restricting the item influx? I am aware there might be some design hurdles regarding this sort of slow influx of content and I'm curious

Accent likes this.
  5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I was just about to post this myself. After all, players already have access to a few projectile attacks like Entangling Roots. But still, Short Missile should probably be Silver (or lose Penetrating).

6. Redde

Redde Kobold

Thanks for choosing my item!
    I was thinking on bern's untouchable mail + lateral thinking human warrior, with varius drawback when i designed the ball and chain boots, then i named it fashionable cause there should be a reason to wear it :D

7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Thanks for correcting me about Laser Block. Makes me less worried about next month's theme...

Hm.

8. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

Plot Armor NOT EVEN MENTIONED

my heart is broken ;_;

But yeah, congrats on having your own self-made epic! It's the first CREATED Epic, mind me adding.

I know that feel...

There should be something for community's choice.

9. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Congratulations @Redde! Your fashionable boots are interesting. :D

Kudos to @Flaxative for designing appropriate art for the item. The review video was also great upgrade from the forum scrolling. I also like to thank @CT5 for helping with the reviews. Your lively and insightful dialogue is big part of the charm.

Aloyzo's Arsenal #2 Peer Feedback & Discussion thread is up!

Flaxative likes this.
  10. Accent

Accent Hydra

Congratulations to @Redde!

And that is a fan-freakin'-tastic icon for the boots.

Flaxative likes this.
  11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Thanks! It's my first item art for the game where I wasn't just color swapping. ;)

12. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

@CT5 @Flaxative
    Fright is D on boots(Highest of the class ratings which in this case is priest).
    401,Fright,,Handicap,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,<u>Trait</u>. Attach this card to yourself. You may not play Attack cards. Duration 1.,The worst forms of paralysis are those that come from within.,<aia> is *too scared to attack!*,,,,,,,,,DrawOnResolveComponent,,AttachToSelfComponent,,RestrictPlayComponent,cardTypes=Attack,,,,,trait,,E,E,D,E,,,,Common,,,Implemented,BAD_TRAIT,,0,5,"Weapon,Boots,Shield,Divine Item,Divine Weapon,Divine Armor,Heavy Armor,Arcane Item,Helmet,Staff,Elf Skill,Robes",Done,,,,,,,,

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  13. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Great boots and design. Useful for a couple of builds, I'd probably stick with Vinorkin's or Infernal though. Unless the character was going clubbing after the battle, or course.

Flaxative likes this.
  14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I figured that now, approximately a week before the unveiling of the 3rd Aloyzo's Arsenal contest, would be a good time for me to make a statement about the purpose of Aloyzo's Arsenal. This has perhaps been unclear, at least for some, as evidenced by a handful of vitriolic posts decrying my selection of @Redde's Fashionable Ball and Chain. I didn't want to respond too quickly to those complaints because some of them were personal; after giving myself a few days to gather my thoughts, this is what I've got.

#

First let me start by clarifying what the purpose is not.

The purpose of Aloyzo's Arsenal is not to reshape the environment, one item at a time.

The purpose of Aloyzo's Arsenal is not to add power items to the game.

The purpose of Aloyzo's Arsenal is not to reward players for identifying, correctly or otherwise, particular wants in the metagame.

That doesn't mean that none of those things might happen, given enough time and enough monthly contests—but none of them is the goal.

The purpose of Aloyzo's Arsenal is fun.

Fun for you, as entrants: you get to dream. You get a chance to change Card Hunter, to leave your mark upon it.

Fun for the community: you have a monthly contest to watch, to discuss.

Fun for me: I get to do all the things I enjoy through this contest—encourage others to do game design, critique game design, and add things to Card Hunter.

Nothing is equally fun for everyone, of course. Some of you only enjoy playing with Bejeweled Shortswords and maybe you won't think Aloyzo's Arsenal is fun until the winning item is a better Bejeweled Shortsword. But many of you, even as you claim that, for instance, Fashionable Ball and Chain isn't a top tier item, recognize that it has flair. It's well-designed. It has a strong concept, it has the right cards on it, and it isn't a problem—the most important criterion, in the end.

None of the winning items are receiving vigorous playtesting. So we have to avoid problem items, ones that are extremely powerful, or that break the game's "color pie" balance. What this means is that, for the foreseeable future, none of the items printed are likely to be top tier or best-in-slot.

I've been accused of subjectivity. Duh.

Jon and I design Card Hunter these days. If you don't trust us to know good design from bad, that's your prerogative... but we're the game design team that you're working with when you submit content to any of our contests: Aloyzo's Arsenal, Mauve Manticore, etc.. Our subjectivity is old news.

Going forward, if you have a problem with the winning items: craft better item designs and submit them. =)

15. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Ok, so how high is the bar? I mean is a pro playable item too good for AA? Or does the item have to bad?

16. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

RETRACTION!

edit: concerning Dynamic Staff

My mistake! Just today (or yesterday?), I took another look at the staff and its cards, and I realized a crucial word missing that I assumed would affect the drawback card. So crucial. Again, not wanting to make specific discussion here about stuff, but I wanted to correct my above statements from some time ago: Yes, I very much intend to at least try -- and probably keep and enjoy $:^ } -- this staff after all now that I've seen my mistake!

(In fact, I'd hoped to play today, but it appears I'm out of Internet time. Well. I'll at least poke around and play with some deck-building anyway, heheh.)

Regards! $:^ J

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Pawndawan likes this.
  17. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Geez Louise, I knew this was going to happen.

Remember Foucault's theory: the second you hit 'submit' on your lovingly crafted AA item, it no longer just belongs to you. It belongs to the CH community, and you can't predict how they're going to interpret or react to it. If you're going to get bent out of shape because they might not feel the same way about it that you do: save yourself the emotional wear and tear and don't submit it.

Don't wreck a great thing for everyone else.

18. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

If I had to guess from reading the above explaination, the answer would be "It depends." I imagine many items that would be good enought to be sure-fire picks in the current meta would be too unbalancing to be selected without playtesting. That said, I could easily imagine us collectively designing an item that ends up shifting the meta around it a little bit. These items don't have to be bad, they just have to not be clearly better than almost everything else out there. I definitely don't think its reasonable to expect another Nova Axe, Bejewelled Shortsword, Double-Edged Sword, Blazing Shortsword, Strongarm, Vibrant Pain, Blue Destruction, Searing Pain, Vampire Sword, Cautious Mobility, Parrying Buckler or Ageis Of The Defender.

Those are all items that excel at what they do beyond almost all competition. Our goal isn't to make those items. The only time you want items like those made is after lots and lots of careful contemplation. We're here to add sweet flavorful items, that make you go "Oh! That makes total sense!" when you loot them. Items that tell a story, that make the world feel more reasonable, more relatable. Despite the odd card choices that Dubious Heritage had, it almost got picked, because in the end, the story that it told was clear, understandable, and entertaining.

And if I'm reading Flax's comment right, that's what this contest is for. Build an item that doesn't have the potential to dominate the meta, but that is interesting and tells a story. Bonus points if its playable, but seriously. Those are bonus points, not the main goal.

19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Thanks Inkfingers, this hits the nail on the head.

That said, don't come up with a cool design and then intentionally make it lower-powered before submitting it. It's not a contest for the weakest item ;)

20. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Um, could we get more Aussie and less Berkeley? Just sayin'. ;)
    ** [Grumblingly attempts to craft an insightful, flavorful story item about blunt force trauma.] **

Krunail, Mr. Magnifico and Vholes like this.