Favorite/Best Staff(s)

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by doog37, Aug 31, 2015.

?

Which 2 Staffs do you think ARE the BEST? [Pick 1 or 2, based on individual merit]

Poll closed Oct 7, 2015.
  1. Blue Destruction

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Deadly, Deadly Staff

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Heartripper

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. Illusion

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Mordecai's Staff of Magma

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  6. Red Flame

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. Searing Pain

21 vote(s)
    53.8%
  8. Staff of a Million Embers

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  9. Something from EttSC

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. None of the above (please post choice)

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I think a single best of the best post is too much.
    However, I think a favorites/best posting, 1 item type at a time might be a great way to help foster discussions and ranking. I started with Staffs because there are so many good ones and I am playing wizards this week.

My favorite is still the Heartripper. I know punishing bolt is dangerous with the lower range and variable damage, but I love it especially against "rich" Dwarves with multiple Officer's Harnesses.

Top Staffs that I have used (subset in the poll):
    Searing Pain
    Red Flame
    White Flame
    Staff of a Million Embers
    Staff of Embers
    Blue Destruction
    Mordecai's Staff of Magma
    Illusion
    Trembling Staff
    Hotglass Staff
    Mindsplinter Staff
    Trog Melter
    Staff of Chask
    Black Walnut Staff
    Sabo's Flamespit Staff
    Barnum's Staff
    Staff of Winter
    Deadly, Deadly Staff

Any staffs I may have missed, especially from the new expansion?
    I have a couple of ETTSC staffs I am trying out, but none I felt like wow this is a must have.

2. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

I gave my vote to Mordecai's Staff Of Magma & Searing Pain. There are many good staves on the poll, but those two are the ones I use the most.

Compared to the powerhouse staves in the poll, all EttSC's 17 staves are pretty underwhelming. I don't want another Searing Pain or Blue Destruction, so that's mostly a good thing. However, I'd like to see Cooling Laser pushed a bit further with a good quality cold attack staff, basically upgraded / more consistent version of Supercooled Laser.

Kalin likes this.
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

4. billiska

billiska Ogre

I tried unsuccessfully but not yet thoroughly to use that in 1/1/1 with mass frenzy. You reminded me to go try again

5. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I don't like having 2 Melee Attacks on a Staff.
    The Dancing Cut is cute, but adding the push the button makes it too melee focused for a staff, and ruins the surprise. Nothing like announcing I am drawing a melee attack with my wizard... unless your opponent is not paying attention and assumed you used a Pull the Trigger since that makes more sense.

I guess it can be a nifty in SP to have a random laser melee attack, IDK not my style.

6. Accent

Accent Hydra

7. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Amethyst Crystal Shard and Deadly, Deadly Staff.

8. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

You wait until they throw out their parries at the end of round one or two before you push the button. Easy, breezy, beautiful.

9. Darial Storm

Darial Storm Orc Soldier

I still remember when Punishing Bolt used to be range 8. Heartripper was THE CHAMP back then. But change was sorely needed because range 8 PB was just too much...

Magic Elves and doog37 like this.
  10. My two to-go-to staffs are Trog Melter and Counterblast Staff. They might not seem like much but they can provide utility and card advantage all rolled into one for very moderate token prices (Melt Armor can eat Armor AND Blocks!).. I also like Trembling Staff when i'm feeling like taking risks and Heirloom Laser Gun when I want to button-mash

Alternatively, here's a little minigame: Take 3 Elf Wizards and gear them up with a pair of Laser Blunderbuss, try not to die

11. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I did run 2 Laser Blunderbuss, on a human wiz on the 3 human wiz team I have. Definitely needed to be careful about LoS between the blunderbuss wiz and the other 2... although can't do much if you draw round 1.

12. Illusion and Blue_Destruction are coming along if it's barrels or death march. If I had a Searing_Pain (missed out the last DD appearance by ~400 gold, IIRC), I'd bring that too.

But in terms of what I use the most... Staff_of_the_Misanthrope and Staff_of_the_Inferno see frequent visits to low-level adventures.

Been accumulating laser rifles of various sorts so it's tempting to look at space-marine type builds for the lulz, but all the EttSC stuff is seriously token-hungry so you're pretty limited in how spaced out your characters can be.

13. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I've been playing a lot of EttSC with wizards, and Mordecai's and Heartripper break the game completely open, as they always do in singleplayer.

Flaxative likes this.
  14. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

Han Lee and Flaxative like this.
  15. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

The absence of Wym's Lavastaff kind of flagged this as a a PvP oriented thread.
    I'd like to know how many are purchased if it ever shows up in the DD.

16. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

I have 2 or 3. I just never use volcano.

17. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I maxed out the poll choices and I personally rarely use a staff for FS. I would agree I am not much of an SP farmer and I think mostly in terms of MP.

Sir Veza likes this.
  18. Pyrogoth

Pyrogoth Mushroom Warrior

Recently looted a Bug Zapper 2000.

There REALLY should be a post for the most hated/worse staff.
    Of course not all items are equal, and we should not complain about what is just more and more content in a great game. But sometimes you can really see the evil intent of game designers.

Han Lee likes this.
  19. Eren

Eren Orc Soldier

My favourite staff is Flaxative.

20. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Flax is good, but my favorite staff is still Farbs.
    (I'm not counting Jon, 'cause he's the boss.)

doog37, Accent and Inkfingers like this.