Why does MP makes me so angry sometimes?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Christofff, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Kerensky

Kerensky Orc Soldier

I would be all for that. I like the suggestion. I would prefer to stay on the same MP reward track, but I can see why that would be an issue. It would be nice to send my end game parties somewhere other than the often gimmicky pre-fab PVE scenarios. Like the 2nd map of Black Plume Mountain. Bring volcano and win or... I don't even know how you'd do that map without volcano lol.

2. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Well thanks to those who offered to share their advice and own insights, it's really helped.

I agree playing at 1500+ you 90% of the tume see two kinds of decks. And that is kinda a shame how desire to win means less fun and variety. But I also think two is better than one, so we are making progress from the past ;)

At least the 10% of different builds has a lot of differnce. - I have seen:
    Hypnotic beacon control
    Volcano accel time
    Pyro accel time
    Cooling laser cold ctrl
    1/1/1 combo
    Healing beacon vamp priests
    VP lurking block- heavy tri-warriors
    Sprint team tri warriors.

doog37 likes this.
  3. Stage

Stage Orc Soldier

I think less than half of my last 20 games have been CoB. Think I've seen more 1/1/1 with *many* different flavours than bejeweled elves, and most of those elves have had some interesting flavour in their build anyway. Mostly in the 1400s.

As for the actual title of this thread: Me too. I feel more invested in matches of CH than I do in comparable games. I care more when I lose, and enjoy my wins more. I've wondered about this, and I think it might have something to do with the way builds work and the complexity of how matches play out, compared to, say, Hearthstone or even Scrolls. In a good match of CH, I feel like *I* won, rather than just my deck winning. There's a lot more bluffing, a lot more trying to infer your opponent's deck and mislead them about what's in your hand, and that could be what makes me feel more invested, more present in matches.

4. Rebel7284

Rebel7284 Ogre

Nimbus, lots of nimbus.

Firestorm works too I guess.

Sir Veza and doog37 like this.
  5. First thing I see in chat after logging in today:

dashv520 says: I reli want to go down to low rating again
    LieutenantCommanderData says: unless you work for sony or sega
    dashv520 says: for faster game -.-
    dashv520 says: rating 1500 ~ 1700 basically the same
    LieutenantCommanderData says: red jon's staff :eek:
    LieutenantCommanderData says: seems pretty damn good

But apparently it's just my problem.

6. doog37

doog37 Hydra

The most important thing to realize is that you cannot be prepared for all possibilities, there is enough diversity where different strats have advatages over some and weakness to others. The other thing to realize is sometimes you opponent get a good run of cards, but not to give up because good runs are often followed by bad runs. Lots of builds especially at mid tier ratings (1000-1200) have a boom or bust type of set-up where they have a highly stratified deck of powerful cards mixed with trash and they think it is great because when they get the strong cards they say my deck is working as designed, when they get the trash they feel like the RNG is against them. Like a warrior with 3 infused great clubs.
    As for sprint I think there is room to nerf down to a 6 instead of 8 but if you are running 3 wiz you need to have some control element to deal with rushes as they will happen.
    Losing to a card combo can feel unfair but realize that it take that much more planning and discipline to pull off than to just load up on good cards. a 3 card combo is tough since you need to build it over multiple turns. Savage Curse gives you a card disadvantage (but Wellspring is brutal).
    Any winning strategy is good strategy, my personal gripe is with how indefensible Volcano is as an attack card. Volcano is the only attack that is both unblockable AND doesn't require LoS, add Accel Time to it and it is almost as cheap as when you could sit in the corner and spam Firestorm (it used to be unlimited range), but you can either whine or adapt (like adding cleansing or extra movement).

Christofff likes this.
  7. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I love when people ragequit! Conceding a loss (once a loss is actually clear, not before a single star has been earned) is a mature thing to do.
    I do agree it is more fun to play against melee than wizard strats even with a loss. As a warrior will kill you but a control wiz will neutralize you which is so much more frustrating (muttering if only... all match is tough).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  8. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I love QD and just 2 nights ago I was ready to quit based on similar feelings (bad choices and I had 2 elf wiz with all 3 Black cards being damage dealing on both) but wound up winning. QD has ups and downs but if you take the time to learn it is the most interesting MP format (IMHO) since you dont have to worry about super specific builds or people with a better library of items.

9. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

I'm having serious problems with anger management. And I guess I need help.

I can literally scream at the screen, wave my fists and stuff, whenever I get some absurd draws, like no support items on support priest, losing streak of X, etc.

10. doog37

doog37 Hydra

That is what SP is for. I would like them to have an AI only MP mode, but it would have to be for no treasure since you could totally make an OP build against the AI which still doesn't know how to deal with certain cards (e.g. attacking against nimbus).

11. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I did it without Volcano... it was HARD!

12. doog37

doog37 Hydra

AKA if you don't like something BE the change. IF you refuse to compete at that level (which I struggle to reach) then it will never change.

13. doog37

doog37 Hydra

For the record I miss Fire Emblem.
    As for your anger issues the reason that anger can spiral out of control is that it is self-rewarding. It feels good to yell, and so we are more likely to do so then next time we are angry and it becomes a self-reinforcing spiral. I used to get frustrated at card cycling control wizards since it was "unfair" that they should get a benefit from what is supposed to be a handicap or drawback, but I learned to accept that if the game allows it is fair. The best thing you can do is recognize when you are angry and prevent yourself from getting too hyped up, including quitting games and walking away for a while.

14. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Sorry to hear that. I guess there's a few of us need help with a game that is easy to get heavily invested in, and frustrated with. I know theyre all so busy but wondering if in the future Jon and team would think of putting some advice or even just links on the home page or CH wiki for those who take their CH too personally.

15. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Today I had this anger again in QD. Block failed, Armor failed, char is dead, allthough deadly attack in hand. No problem, there is another char close with a laser thrust. Laser thrust has a mail function. Omg. And then in the next round, the laser thrust has another mail function, leaving the opponent char with 1 life and able to kill my second char. Guess four ones in a row can happen, but every time it does, I am just angry.

16. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

Are you talking about this kind of mail function? :p

17. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Yeah, but the mail was more of a black color.

18. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Well good news, I took an anger quiz, and got the lowest rating of 0-4. At- http://www.jamhi.org/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=3396

If you feel you have anger issues can be good test to take. But like me you'll probably get a score in the similar range.

So good news I know I'm not a rage-o-holic ;) In fact I realised from taking that test that one of the keys to anger management is expressing, rather than repressing, your frustration. Swear, go outside, Punch the air if you have to, (hey, I punch the air when I win sometimes, why not if I lose?). Also, taking a break and doing something else for awhile, until you've calmed down, even just a cup of tea or some slow gentle, deep breathing outside really works (after you've let it out a little).

But most importantly, once I've calmed, I take the time to go over the match a little and see what my big mistakes were. Poor positioning? Not passing? Too aggressive? Attacking into kinda obvious parries instead of getting behind enemy character? If I don't acknowledge my mistake(s), there's no room to grow. Also, in going over the match, I am reminding myself of my opponents cards and play style a little. (Btw these are all meant as general statements, not to obsess over. Life's too short!)

So I'd like to reopen this thread both for new players to invite the experienced players who haven't contributed already, if they have some "top tips".

19. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

I play a lot more league than I do regular MP (who has the time to do league, run lootie and spend hours in MP?), so that takes out a lot of the frustration. In fixed deck, I know I can beat most players if I play to 95% or above of my ability. I make some dumb mistakes, sure, but otherwise it comes down to RNG and drawing or not drawing power cards in the first 3-4 turns. If I have a bad run in a game, I just let it go and know that the seesaw will balance my way soon enough.

Quickdraw is the same - I arc up at myself if I walk into an obvious trap that I've anticipated and then decided to chance against anyway, and sometimes the RNG can screw a player over. Take today, my 8HP elf wiz with defensiveness finally got cornered by a fighter with two attack cards, and my maze not only worked (33%), but mazed them two tiles away (roughly 50%). So, yeah, my opponent could be rightfully pissed that their good play got turned by a 1-in-6 chance. But if my opponent gets the chance to make a killer build and my builds are only average (choice of three gold move cards on the wiz, or three bad drawbacks on a char), then it's hard to get mad because I know there will be times it swings my way and I can win relatively easily.

Preconstructed league is just about being angry at myself for ****ty deck building, but I try to rechannel that into understanding why I'm being stomped by a 1700+. And again, it's swings and roundabouts - I drew 3 rad bombs (boosted with wellspring) on my rad priest in the first two turns in Central yesterday, and there's only a roughly 5% chance of that happening without card draw from the other characters, so my opponent could feel rightfully mad that his mages were close to death and hamstrung by drawbacks before they even closed to range. Another game, I went five turns into a loss without drawing one rad bomb, and with card draw the chance of that happening was well under 3%.

20. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

Personally, I feel multiplayer is too clustered right now, its not that the game is bad, just multiplayer wasn't built right, while card hunter isn't the fastest game out there, the AI plays quickly and effectively and can lead to enjoyable moments in multiplayer-singleplayer on the other hand, is a different story-But what SERIOUSLY needs to happen is for the players who want a faster game to have that option and not get week bans for wanting a faster game. The game would be much more fun if there was say a tactical mode and a blitzkreig mode. Tactical would be same as now, blitz mode would be smaller maps, drastically reduced time limits and reduced victory points.