Vakaz's Item Creator

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Vakaz, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

Hey all!

Had some teeth pulled yesterday, so I've gotten a little bored while recovering. So... I made an item creator in Excel!

It's not super fancy, and may not perfectly replicate every existing item, but it should give you a pretty good idea of what level, token cost, and rarity your made-up item would be. I based the creator off my own understanding along with stuff from this thread and the cards.csv file. It should be especially helpful for those trying to come up with stuff for Aloyzo's Arsenal.

Feel free to tell me if it works well for you, if it's broken, if I should add something to it (be warned I'm not super excel savvy), if Power of Fires is your favorite guild ever, etc.

V1.1: @Scarponi has made an updated version that should automatically determine item rarity.

V1.31: @Pawndawan updated for Castle Mitternacht

V1.32: Google Drive: Vakaz's Item Creator 1.32 (VIC)
    8/15/2018: Added Wail

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    zuzzu, Jaer, Master Goo and 24 others like this.
  2. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Can't you just post it to google-docs for easy online referencing and editing [versus using a zip file]? :)

Well, this definitely has been needed, all those +/- 1 value cards are a pain to keep in mind :D

3. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

4. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Mail is D+, Subtle Parry is D+.

5. Nice!! i gonna check it later

6. Awesome! Thanks, Vakaz!

Vakaz likes this.
  7. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Added an auto calculating rarity function. I believe it's working correctly, but I left the manual calculation instructions in case you want to verify along the way. If anyone wants to know where the calculations are being made they are hidden in columns J-L.

Attached Files:

Killer74, Vakaz, CT5 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

Thanks for the upgrade! Updated the original post with a sheets version of your update :)

Sir Veza likes this.
  9. Fry

Fry Ogre

I think something is slightly glitchy about the token cost calculator (F16). First thing I did while messing around was try to make a multiple Inspiring Armor card, so I set item type to Priest, 6 cards to "no", and started adding Inspiring Armors. First one made it item level 10, minor token, fine. Second one item level 20, major token, still fine. Third slot, item level 30, cost is "Item must be at least level 1" which is not the correct error. :p

Offtopic: I am very confused by the individual card rarity system in this game. Inspiring Armor is "common," despite only appearing on a very limited set of items, all of the same slot, with a maximum of one copy per item. ?!?

10. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

@Fry It's capped to current adventure level, by the looks of it.

As far as item rarity:
    A card's quality is based on how potent it is, inherently, reliably.
    A card's rarity is based on how potent it could be, under ideal circumstances, and is more a measurement of how versatile a card is.
    That's why Telekinesis, which does 0 damage and has only 2 move, is rare- it can move enemies and allies both, it can go through walls, etc; under ideal circumstances, it could be game-changing.
    Likewise, Subtle Parry is rare because under ideal circumstances, it acts like Parry, a silver quality card; but in most circumstances, it probably won't.

As far as Inspiring Armor, could do to see a few more armors with it.

11. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

Hmm, it's weird that it gives the wrong message. Next time I update it I'll try to fix it, thanks!

Sir Veza likes this.
  12. Fortaleza

Fortaleza Orc Soldier

Having a list of the "extra rules" that would be nice (eg. no Heavy Armor in boots; no armor with more that 3 damage reduction and the keyword Keep in Robes, only Warrior Armor Slot can have 3 armors; etc...).
    No need to make it automatic block, just a list of the rules at the end like the rarity rules would be good.

13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

There's like 10 pages of item design guidelines that we use internally. How about you just make items that are like existing items? =)

14. Fortaleza

Fortaleza Orc Soldier

So no need to add it to "Vakaz's Item Creator.zip", but a link that we can read about these rules would be nice.

15. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

If you're desperate for more details you can start with the Cards file (you'll need to import it to a spreadsheet). The "Slots" column notes what type of items cards can land on. I don't know that this couldn't be changed in the future, but it's the "rule" as it currently exists. This doesn't give you all the item rules, but it'll prevent a lot of mistakes.

timeracers likes this.
  16. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Item rarity is a function of card rarity. (For 3 card items, 3x Rare = Legendary.) It's been said that card rarity is a function of complexity. In cases of complex cards this appears to be true, but in some cases simple cards appear (to me) to be coded uncommon or rare just because the devs felt inclined to do so. Perhaps they were tired at the end of a long card/item balancing session, or perhaps I'm missing something.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  17. So no "High-Stakes Trolling" human skill with Taunt, Cowardly and Trip?

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  18. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Fixed, I think.

Also, forgot about the [ Card ] tag, ha. Thanks :D

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  19. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

I've been studying the humans for a while now, and they seem to be a species fixated on bending rules.

wereviper, Maniafig, Sir Veza and 3 others like this.
  20. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

New human skill:
    Rampaging Rule-Bending, Trololol Track
    Rumbling Charge, Sneaky Bloodsuck, Meltdown