[Suggestion] Heavy Armour as a Handicap Card

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Maniafig, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Why does Heavy Armor count as an Armour/Boost Card when its 'boost' effect is encumber 1 while Ill-fitting Armor is a Handicap Card for the same reason? I can't think of any situation in which Encumber 1 would qualify as a Boost.

Likewise, Slowed is a Move/Handicap Card because it functions as a move but still has an encumbering effect, isn't that the same as what Heavy Armor does?

There's other high-level Handicap Cards like Massive Chop as well which can be gotten from Radioactive Bites, so I'm not sure why Heavy Armor gets treated differently and qualities as a Boost.

2. ciopo

ciopo Orc Soldier

I think it has to do with the fact it has no saving roll

3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

This has been suggested before. It's a probably good suggestion.

Xayrn and Maniafig like this.
  4. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

5. The latter two aren't handicap cards, but black-quality (bottom tier) attack cards (per the red background).

6. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

Oh. I thought you're only getting handicaps from QD on the 2nd picks. Welp, my bad.

Then again, Bungled Bolt should probably be black quality.

7. orian34

orian34 Orc Soldier

Speaking of handicap cards, why hit the deck not a handicap too? It gives halt, a lot worse than encumber.

8. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Probably to see if anyone will fall for it.

DunDunDun and orian34 like this.
  9. Eren

Eren Orc Soldier

While we're at it, why not make every card a handicap card? Yeah? No? Ok no.

10. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

I see your point.

But since Heavy armor procs 5/6 of the time and has 3 armor, whereas ill-fitting only procs half the time and has 2 armor...to me thats like night and day difference. Reliable mail quality armor with 1 extra armor reduction for my elf or human warrior? Yes, please!

Peonprop himself even tested heavy armor in his Brewing with Peon thread and gave it favorable reviews, besides dwarf of course. Page 9 of that thread.

Re- massive chop, it's an abomination, nuff-said.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  11. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

HArmor is pretty potent, but you've a well phrased pointing out of the inconsistencies of it.

Hit the Deck has a secondary negative effect, that alone makes it an exception to cards with a primary [ie, always active] negative effect.

Also, you know what you're getting into with HtD :p

The fun- or challenge, as you prefer- of handicap Quests is the limited build options.
    I'd personally not like to dilute that.

As far as HArmor goes, all other rationale aside, it's used minimally enough normally that there's good excuse for counting it as a handicap card [if the aim is having handicap Quests utilizing underutilized items].

On the flip side, it's quite the potent tanking armor, it'd make mid-level adventures quite easy.
    Having things like Nimbus not be on any handicap-including cards is part of what makes handicap Questing so interesting.
    Having a reduce 3 that you can theoretically double-stack, that almost always works (or always does, with a single harness)..
    Kinda feels like it kills the spirit of handicap Quests :p

In that sense, Hit the Deck is actually a better inclusion, since it has a much stronger penalty.

Very few maps [notably any maps with elementals/imps] really hurt you for lowered mobility, since the AI doesn't take advantage of such things like players do.