Level scaling is annyoing

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by RJJ, Aug 1, 2015.

1. RJJ

RJJ Kobold

So when I go back to a low level area I have to change my gear all the time? Its very annoying I have to do this on every other dungeon. Why not just scale down the numbers like some other games?

2. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

The store/load functionality is your friend ;)

3. RJJ

RJJ Kobold

I know but its still annoying, I just want to wear my best set all the time.

4. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Your best set is the best set only for a limited number of adventures regardless of the downleveling. Card Hunter is at its very core NOT a one-build-fits-all game. The different and varied challenges on offer require different approaches.

Card Hunter is not at all like a traditional CRPG where you equip your +1 Thumb Tack and always use it -- until you find a +2 Thumb Tack. To change this would be to change the foundations of the game. Card Hunter can never be that game. We already have thousands of that game. We only have one Card Hunter.

PDXTai, kustaa, Merdis and 4 others like this.
  5. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

As Jarmo said, this isn't an RPG- and even if it were, to truly repeat content in an RPG would involve restarting a character, usually [or getting absolutely no rewards for repeating, whatsoever].

But it's a tactical ccg, and that means you need to play by certain build concepts when playing a map.

Nevermind that what you're proposing would dramatically imbalance the game, due to its emphasis on rerunning adventures and all loot being valued equally.
    [Ie, people would then only ever run low level adventures, even more so than they do now.]

Besides, 'best' is a bit of an unusual phrasing..
    Isn't best whatever is most fun?

I'm not sure how going into an adventure and curbstomping everything could be fun at all, but if that's your thing, there is the Create Casual Game option in the multiplayer screen, for that.

Of course, there's no reward for casual games- but then, there's no challenge in what you're proposing, either, so rewards aren't really suitable anyway :rolleyes:

If you want to replay a 'puzzle' and get rewards, you have to play by its rules, and if not, you can load the map up in Casual and play it for fun ;)

But, say, if you want to hit the Loot Fairy- well, you gotta play by her rules :)

6. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

Solution: equip only no-token items in every slot! Now you can use the same gear in every fight. :p

kustaa, Xayrn, timeracers and 2 others like this.
  7. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

My tokenless party is badass, though.
    They're finally up to where they can do level 17s without issue. :)

Not quite ready to try Citadel yet :X

(Pity there's no adventures in between, huh? Eh? :rolleyes:)

8. RJJ

RJJ Kobold

I was hoping this game is a rpg focused game like fire emblem and with some deck building element. But it is the reverse:(

9. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

Well yes, that's a valid sadness. I'd love to play a game like that too. I do love Card Hunter as well though and it is very much its own unique thing and it's ok if it doesn't quite click with you. At this point of game development (that is, almost 2 years after the launch) it is unlikely to change so drastically it would become the game you were hoping it would be. C'est la vie.

10. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

I think most of us would like to play a game like that...

11. richard edwards

richard edwards Mushroom Warrior

Would we? I love the pvp aspect of this game. There are the standard +1 thumbtacks and so on. Pen. Zap getting replaced with Dev. Zap is a +1.

12. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Not as a substitute for Card Hunter, richard, but just as another game out there to play.

There have actually been several rpg/card game hybrids, and I've likely played all the ones of note, and they're nearly all more gimmick than substance.

With a few exceptions, but they're structured more toward the card aspects, or as a rouge-like/instanced-story, than as an RPG where you level up and gain new potent cards to play, through a rich story.

And that, that's the kind of game I'd love to play, and likely most of the tabletop/rpg-based CH crowd would as well.

13. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

It's rogue you florist!

14. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Try to avoid referencing letter arrangement errors like that with me in the future, my circumstances that lead to such errors, make me a bit irritable with having them called out.