Uncle Ector's Appraisal of Space Treasures

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Ector, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Ector

Ector Hydra

Hi fellow cardhunters! This is my review of all Legendaties from the Citadel set. As usual, the symbol '!' in my ratings mean that the item is the best in its category or for its goal, and the symbol '?' means the need of a special deck, a special party or a special map.

Atomic Drop Console The Console provides more Radiation Bombs per token than any other item. So what? Why would you want to spread radiation? Even if you manage to hit the entire opposing team and NOT to hit your own characters, dealing two damage + attaching a random Handicap doesn't look as a winning strategy. If the radiation decks will ever become popular, Arrogant Armor will quickly fix them.
    If you pump the damage with Savage Curse, the bombs become much more interesting, but you still lose some damage compared to the good old burning spells - plus you'll have to play the Curse on a priest, who usually doesn't have a lot of ranged attacks.
    Mind Worm never was particularly popular, though it has great range now: its effect really matters only after a few turns, which may be too much. Plus, it has a bad synergy with Savage Curse. This may not be a serious problem if you have only one Console, but if you want all three you'll have three bad cards in your deck. That's way too much.
    Overall, I consider the Console a crappy Legendary, though funny and shiny. If you really want to build a deck based on the radioactive bombs, please look at Cursed Radcannon review.
    Rating: 4?/3

Bloome's Barging Boots While Rocket Charge is obviously very powerful (and funny), and Lunging Bash is extremely versatile (plus you get a chance to add two more attacks if you lack them), I cannot justify spending a yellow token on the boots without mass moves, good armor or something like that. Even in a Bruiser deck. For a blue token I'd try them, but yellow is too much.
    Rating: 3/2

Blox's Unyielding Bulwark Here we have one very good block, one superior block and one really bad block - Subtle Parry. Melee attacks that deal 4 or less damage are quite rare! For a yellow token we should expect a shield without the bad cards.

Bronson's Halberd Four completely different attacks (even at different ranges) and two mediocre blocks. All attacks are good, but the weapon is so chaotic that you can never predict what you're going to draw next, and how you should play.
    The Halberd isn't bad, but it isn't good enough to pay two yellow tokens for it. It should be cheaper.
    Rating: 3/3

Bug Zapper 2000 It's the only weapon in the game with three Scatter Laser, so it would be wise to discuss the card first. "Minor erratic damage" means +2 damage on average. So we have five damage on average to all three enemies if you see them! This becomes simply insane with Savage Curse. 27 damage total is very, very painful.
    Erratic damage means a 1/3 chance of getting a Handicap card. The cards are usually pretty harmful, but not really suicidal, though you should be prepared for them. For instance, Battery Explosion and Meltdown may be very beneficial if you're staying near the enemies, Drained Battery will be harmless most of the time if you don't have a lot of Laser cards (there are only 3 here).
    The rest three cards aren't very good, and they are meant to balance the powerful Scatter Lasers. Fumble is pretty bad, Able Bludgeon is simply useless, but Instant Burn is a hint to you. Don't use a second Zapper, equip some burning staff instead (Staff Of Embers or Red Flame come to mind).
    Bug Zapper 2000 is designed with Savage Curse in mind, don't even try to use it without the buff. The Savage Curse will not only enhance your damage, but consume the unneeded cards like Able Bludgeon (and Instant Burn if you wouldn't need it). I would definitely try one, but only one. The Zapper is obviously overcosted, since a Legendary staff for (majortoken)(majortoken) shouldn't have two bad cards, but it still has some potential.

Cursed Radcannon Now finally we have something really strong. The Radcannon is the best Unholy Energy weapon in the game, and, as you will see now, the best Radiation Bomb weapon too. Yes, it has less bombs per token compared to Atomic Drop Console, but, firstly, it has absolutely no bad cards, and secondly, Skull Of The Savage Iljin allows you to save much more tokens. If you play Consoles, you'll have to use Darkblood Glaives to get Savage Curses, and the Glaives cost (minortoken)(minortoken) each.
    Blind Rage is used here as a handicap, since there are no melee attacks, but it's the most "soft" handicap I've ever seen. The priest is going to have little attacks, and all of them are ranged, so getting rid of them to avoid the damage won't be very difficult. As a result, you may treat the Blind Rage a pure cycling card.
    Rating: 5!?/5

Darkforce Nunchaku I have the mixed feelings about this. There are no really bad cards, of course, but that isn't enough for a (majortoken)(majortoken) weapon to be playable. The Nunchaku has three vampiric attacks with Range 2, two Laser Whips with Range 2 and Greater Heal, which also triggers Talented Healer. The problem is you have no tech besides Range 2 here: no step moves (while the Whips really need them), no armor destruction, nothing at all! If you want to play the Nunchaku effectively, you'll have to get a lot of additional moves, which may be difficult, as you've already paid two yellow tokens for it and one more for the Focused Healer.
    Now if you compare the Nunchaku with Healing Hand Mace. you will see what is the current standard for (majortoken)(majortoken). The Mace doesn't require additional support, it has powerful healing for the whole team, and it even can destroy the enemy armor!
    Yes, I do believe that the good combos with Darkforce Nunchaku can be found. You may play an elven priest with Cautious Mobility and Captain Cedric's Boots to draw moves every time, for instance. Still, it would require a special deck and a good skill to master it.
    Rating: 5?/4

Ewix's Evolving Ensemble This powerful armor has two new cards, so it would be logical to review them first.
    Mimetic Crown is an extremely powerful armor that provides you a card advantage. Well, not really the cards from your deck, but you get an extra melee attack card when the Crown prevents Melee damage and an extra Magic attack when it prevents a Magic damage. The armor triggers 2/3 of the time and prevents only one damage, but the card advantage is so vauable that ALL items with the Mimetic Crown cost a yellow token. Crusher makes the most powerful combo with it, as the Crown generates Trained Bludgeons, and hitting an enemy warrior having such combo by the melee attacks is siucidal. Unless your warrior has the next card, of course :)
    Adaptable is a special armor that prevents no damage. Instead it triggers every time you suffer damage and creates an attachment for you that grants you immunity from that type of damage (for instance, Fire, Laser or Crushing) for 2 turns. That screws all the hyper-focused builds like The Lunginator builds, burning builds and so on. In order to deal the damage to you normally, they would have to get rid of two cards: Adaptable itself and the attachment it generated, which isn't an easy task. Plus, while the enemy can bypass the Mimetic Crown with Penetrating attacks, Adaptable will still tigger, and it triggers 100% of the time. obviously, it's pure golden in SP, where many monsters may try to hit you with the attacks of the same type. Thanks God, this is the only Heavy Armor with Adaptable.
    And the third card is good old Reliable Mail! The armor is obviously very powerful and it's worth the yellow token. Moreover, such armors represent a serious metagame shift towards the armor and, as a consequence, the armor-removal cards. I can remember a discussion on Sundersong in the Daily Deal thread, where I've suggested to buy it "just in case the metagame shifts, and you'll need a lot of armor removal". Next time listen to Uncle Ector, kids :)
    Rating: 5!/5

Flame Warper Two Flame Spits and a new card, Accelerate Time, which is so powerful that there are no items with more than one copy of it, and each of the items with it costs a yellow token. Accelerate Time activates all start-of-round effects, including burning and terrain effects. This is very powerful if you play a Volcano party, a burning party (Instant Burn triggers only cards attached by that character, Accelerate Time triggers all of them), and so on. You should remember that it triggers the opponent's cards too! But most of the time you'll get most advantage of it, and it's great.
    The only thing left is the cost, and I'm talking not only about the yellow token, but the two cards you'll have to put into your deck to get the Accelerate Time. The Flame Warper is quite promising, as Flame Spit is a decent burning card and has a good synergy with Accelerate time. It may be not the strongest burning card, but it adds variety, which is always welcome, since you cannot attach the same Glob of Flame twice.
    Overall, Flame Warper is quite promising. Don't be frightened by its cost: a burning wizard generally can spend one yellow token. I'd say the Warper is much more suitable for a Volcano deck, which rarely can afford a yellow token, alas. Still, if you manage to play Volcano, Bless and Accelerate Time, you're really on the road to victory.
    Rating: 4?/4

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    Pawndawan, Kerensky and Xayrn like this.
  2. Ector

Ector Hydra

Klonox's Warper Another Accelerate Time item. I consider it much worse than Flame Warper since Illusory Barrier has no synergy with Accelerate Time, and Firestorm has too strong synergy that may kill your own characters :) On the other hand, Firestorm is better in SP.
    Rating: 3/4

Korenchkin's Tactical Tunic All three cards are very powerful and very useful for a wizard (Escaping Run is especially valuable for a dwarven wizard, who cannon run that fast with the regular moves). While this robe is less focused than Robes Of White Wylla, it isn't less useful. Moreover, Adaptable may save your life from the enemy burn, so I'd say the Tunic is even more useful. Adaptable is especially useful in SP. This is the only robe with it!
    Rating: 4/5

Kreevian Radcannon We have only one Radiation Bomb here, accompanied by two Radioactive Sprays. The Spray is a random radiation-spreading card that inflicts some minor damage and random Handicaps to the enemies. Personally I don't like such cards, since their effect may be minimal or even harm your characters; Radiation Bombs at least deal decent damage with Savage Curse.
    The rest three cards are Genetic Engineerings. The card can potentially be bery strong or very weak. I guess it is quite strong on average, but it's too chaotic to rely on it, and I am not going to pay two yellow tokens for such unreliable weapon.

Laser Rapier This fantastic weapon has two Laser Thrusts, two Laser Cutdowns, Disorienting Block and Fiery Stab - all the great cards, there are no crappy or even mediocre cards here.
    Laser Thrust is nearly unbelievable. A melee attack with Step 1, average damage 8.5 and Penetrating??? Thanks God it has a drawback (chance of getting a Handicap). without it the card should be obviously broken.
    Disorienting Block is uber powerful. Not only you get to block any attack on 3+, but you also get to move yourself AND the attacker! This is usually followed by a Laser Thrust or another step attack that hits the enemy wizard really hard and makes him think about escaping instead of attacking you. Alternatively, you can move the enemy warrior from the victory area and grab it yourself.
    Fiery Stab is a decent-damaging stab with additional damage-over-time effect. Since all the rest attacks here have range 1, it can be a nasty surprise for the opponent - or its threat may force the opponent to apply extreme caution.
    Finally, Laser Cutdowns are cards with relatively low damage (only 5.5 on average), but they return to your hand if you kill an enemy with them. Considering that Mass Frenzy and Blind Rage can pump their average damage to 9.5, that's quite possible, especially when you fight versus wizards or the hordes of weak AI creatures.
    Rating: 5!/5

LoPiccolo's Lash The major card of this item is Laser Whip, and I have to confess that I don't like it at all, despite the cool picture and great damage (11.5 on average). As soon as your opponent understand that you have such cards in your deck, he will always engage your warrior, making him unable to use the Laser Whips. It would be a great attack if it had Step, but it doesn't have it.
    Violent Spin is really great, but it's the only great card here. Strong Hack is just mediocre, and Subtle Parries are simply bad, since almost nobody is playing the weak attacks. On the other hand, you can expect to use all these cards in some SP scenarios... but you can find a better weapon for (majortoken)(majortoken).
    Rating: 2/3

Malone's Hacking Module I'm not a big fan of Radioactive Spray or Cause Fumble. Thus, I don't see how this Module may be worth a yellow token.
    Rating: 2/2

Reality Warper This is probably the worst Legendary item with Accelerate Time. The rest cards have absolutely no synergy with it. You may use Telekinesis to move the enemy on lava though... if there is lava, and the enemy is close enough both to you and to the lava. Too many "ifs" to be playable.

Repulsor Raygun This is a Mullik's Blisterstaff on steroids. The steroids were quite strange and very expensive, since the free staff now costs (majortoken)(majortoken) :) While I like Scatter Laser, it isn't so great to justify that difference.
    On the other hand, the Raygun has absolutely no bad cards, unlike Bug Zapper 2000, and all its cards are pumped by Savage Curse. So, my verdict is the same as for the Zapper: it's obviously overcosted, but can be quite good in the right deck. Moreover, the Raygun is much better in many SP scenarios where you need to drive back the enemy hordes.
    Rating: 4?/4?

Richie's Frigid Laser Absolutely unfocused. It has one Cooling Laser with only one other cold attack; only one electrical attack, one mandatory attack that target everybody you can see and even one Short Perplexing Ray. This could be funny and powerful for (minortoken)(minortoken), but not for (majortoken)(majortoken). See Supercooled Laser instead.

Ripple's Reality Robes Ok, Hypnotic Beacon may be very annoying, but that's all. It won't kill the enemies or even attach Handicaps on them. Whirlwind is almost useless now. There is absolutely nothing to pay a yellow token for.
    Rating: 1/2

Sanger's Space Cap What do we have here? A nerfed Dodge and a very strange Advanced Battlefield Training? Too many bad cards to spend a yellow token.
    Rating: 1/1

Spatiomancer's Sidearm While harmful terrain is very funny with Hypnotic Beacon, the chances of the combo working are too small to pay a yellow token for it.

Spector's Raygun The only really strong card here is Illusory Barrier. Hypnotic Beacon is nice and funny, but Stone Spikes is just mediocre. I wouldn't pay a yellow token for this.

St.Xanu's Geneshaper Gear Considering Genetic Engineering good enough, though very chaotic, I have to say that all three cards here are good, and Adaptable is very good and unique: there is only one Divine Armor with it, one Heavy Armor and one Robe. So nobody can have more than one copy of it.
    As usual, Adaptable is better in SP, especially in the scenarios with hordes of dangerous monsters dealing the damage of the single type.
    Rating: 4?/5?

St.Yatzie's Genetic Console While I like Genetic Engineering, I don't like them so much to pack a lot of them. Radiation Bomb is really powerful, so the item is quite promising, and may be worth a yellow token in the right build. Unfortunately, Genetic Engineering will destroy your Savage Curse, so the cards of this Console have really bad synergy.

St. Zaadia's Spacesuit This is the first item with Cushioning Armor we see, so let's talk about it first. This card completely destroys the most popular pre-Citadel strategy (the warriors with Mass Frenzy and Blind Rage), since the warriors are designed to deal lots of damage, and if the opponent will reduce the damage to 5, he will simply overcome in melee or heal his chars fast enough to keep them alive. This will seriously affect the metagame, especially if you consider that The Softener has all three copies of Cushioning Armor and will inevitably become very popular. This will finally force the warriors to spend some serious tokens on something besides weapons and skills, which IMHO is very good for the game. There are only 5 items with Cushioning Armor in the game, so it's quite rare.
    Next comes Healing Beacon. This is the most powerful healing in the game, which is compensated by the delayed effect and the need of placing your characters near the beacon which can make them vulnerable. Moreover, the Beacon may heal the enemies if they would force your chars to retreat and capture the terrain. But if you manage to hold your ground in a narrow passage, a beacon behind your line will be a blessing. Yes, it will be as good as Bless, trading the card advantage for additional healing.
    Finally, Genetic Engineering isn't the best card in the game, but it's good, as you'll get some really useful Boosts most of the time. Overall, the armor is very good in the right deck and simply awesome in SP, where enemies are stupid enough to allow you exploit all your advantages.
    Rating: 4/5

The Hacker's Wrench This weapon leaves the mixed feelings. While Laser Thrust is awesome, Obliterating Chop is strong and Laser Cutdown can provide a card advantage, there are two weak cards and Laser Whip which I don't like. As long as we should pay two yellow tokens only for the best weapons, I cannot rate the Wrench highly.

The Irradiator Now here we have the very, very focused item - all three cards are the same :) The problem is I don't believe in Radioactive Spray much. It's too random, too short-ranged and can harm your own characters. But I believe there are maps where it may be a winner.
    Rating: 4?/4?

The Softener We already know that Cushioning Armor is awesome. What can you say about an item with all three Cushioning Armors? Right, it's unbelievably good. The Softener is so powerful that it changes the whole metagame. People will have to pack serious armor removal to defeat it. It isn't worse in SP as well, maybe even better, since defeating the giant monsters with heavy blows becomes a piece of cake with it.
    Rating: 5!/5!

Throon's Quick Laser Shield Wow, an item for a blue token! I've thought all Citadel items cost only yellows :)
    While Laser Block is a great universal block with card advantage, the rest cards aren't that good. Subtle Parry is even quite bad. Is it any sense in gaining card advantage from one card if the price is putting some bad cards into your deck?

Vak's Portable Infirmary As we've already seen, Healing Beacon is very powerful healing card which trades the healing speed for the healing power. Such cards are usually so rare that no item can have more than one of them - and here we have two. No doubt the Infirmary is a great item for any map where the Beacon is good. If the map has some strategic narrow passages where you can guard the victory areas or just prohibit enemy passage, use it safely. If not, the enemy may try to get healing from your Beacon too, which may ruin the whole idea. Still, the Beacon will be good even on the open maps if you're playing warriors versus wizards... is your opponent going to move his wizards close to your warriors? :)
    The Healing Beacon is simply golden in some hard SP scenarios. If the mobs are pulverizing your chars at a distance, and you aren't going to chase them, you can try to just survive for a few rounds needed to win. Having two Infirmaries, you will get four Beacons in your deck, and two of them at once is just unfair for the poor mobs :)
    Rating: 5!?/5!

Yeehat's Sidearm Wow, a second Legendary for a blue token! I would be very surprised to see a tokenless one here :)
    The Sidearm is quite decent, if you like Hypnotic Beacon. The rest cards are just mediocre, though you may need them if you would play your wizards versus the enemy wizards... but why would you need a Hypnotic Beacon in such situation? It's only useful to stop the enemy warriors... if they are slow and cannot pass the beacon area without stopping near the beacon, and if the beacon cannot be avoided. Too many "ifs" for my taste, and note that the beacon may simply allow them to move their way.
    I'd like to try this in SP, where Firestorm is golden, and the mindless bots will just rush you. Most items with Hypnotic Beacon require a yellow token, so the Sidearm easily wins the competition.
    Rating: 3/5

Zeeplon's Jumping Boots What do we expect from the yellow-token boots? All three good cards, or at least one very good card and some mediocre cards. What is really good here?
    Lunging Bash implies that these boots are made for the warriors. What can the warriors get from a Warp Run? Get rid of all the burning spells the enemies have attached to you? Disengage from the stronger warrior and remove all his buffs? While all these uses can be very important, these situation don't depend on you - they depend only on your opponent. And even if your opponent really plays all these attachments, it's hard to justify paying a yellow token for only one silver bullet.

Zero G Combat Helm I always say that I don't like helms with Sprint, Team! since the warriors should be moved, not the movers. Spending a yellow token on a helm looks like a heresy... but this one is really very good, if your warrior needs an extra Lunging Bash, since Mimetic Crown is awesome. As long as it's available only for a yellow token and only on the helmets and Ewix's Evolving Ensemble, you should either avoid the Crown or pay the token.
    This Helm is probably well worth the price for a Crusher warrior: the Crown generates some crushing attacks for you, and you get an extra Lunging Bash. Other warriors are likely to avoid it.
    Rating: 5?/4

Zoltan's Laser Scourge This is a big nasty trap. Theoretically, you can bash your enemy away and then use your Laser Whip. Or just use your Lunging Bashes for movement and then Whip your enemy. Practically, the enemy will just come closer and make your Whips useless. This extremely unstable weapon would be great for (minortoken)(minortoken) and maybe somewhat useful for (majortoken)(minortoken), but (majortoken)(majortoken) is waay too much for it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Pawndawan, Kerensky and Xayrn like this.
  3. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Items aren't given a level randomly but it has a level determined by the cards in it so if the cards are over-rated than the item will be also. For reference D(paper) = 0, a grade letter change of 1 changes the value by 3(so C(bronze) = 3), and a + or - changes it by 1.

4. Kerensky

Kerensky Orc Soldier

Interesting analysis. Though I don't agree with all of it... laser cut down on laser rapier is pretty bad. More laser thrust would probably be too OP, but laser strike or even a Push the Button might entice me to use it. But with two terrible cut downs, I shelved the Laser Rapier in favor of the Nova Axe.

Also cushioning armor is nice, especially against Bejeweled Warriors (which pretty much everyone seems to be) but it has no effect on penetrating attacks. Laser thrust goes right through the cushion, and more importantly so does range 2 Impaling Stab.

5. Ector

Ector Hydra

This is a theme for a lengthy discussion if you like them :) Nova Axe is obviously a great weapon, and it's really better if your opponent runs a lot of attachments. But as long as Mass Frenzy warriors are going to become less popular due to rise of Cushioning Armor, you cannot anymore claim that Purging Strike dealing 3 damage is automatically better than Laser Cutdown which deals 5.5 on average. Also, Obliterating Chop will still deal 5 damage versus the Cushioning armor, while Fiery Stab will deal 5 + burning. You shouldn't underestimate the Fiery Stab's range too: an enemy stabber can relatively safely attack your Nova Axe warrior from range 2, as you can counterattack only with two Laser Strikes. Stabbing a Laser Rapier warrior is much more dangerous: besides the same Laser Strikes, the stabber may trigger Disorienting Block or catch Fiery Stab.
    Looks like we still judge the new items from the point of the old metagame's view. Nova Axe is the old metagame's killer, but I believe it's going to be replaced by Laser Rapier sooner or later.

The penetrating attacks generally deal less damage than other attack types, so I hope not to see everybody playing them in the future. They are also rarely combined with Step, so movement becomes a problem. It's too early to predict the future metagame; maybe Nova Axes with Cushioning Armor will defeat Mass Frenzies and Bejeweleds, then stabbers will defeat the Cushionings, and then Laser Rapiers will defeat the stabbers :)

6. Kerensky

Kerensky Orc Soldier

Who doesn't run attachments though? Cookie cutter elves with the tokenless double maneuvers and dual bejewelled, mages with priest buffs, vamp priests, buff priests, nimbus priests, pretty much any time you see a priest in fact.

It's also easier to synergize with purge as a crushing damage type because there is no warrior token to improve laser damage. Not to mention when that cutdown deals its paltry 3 or 4 damage (33% of the time), it results in critical failure.

7. Ector

Ector Hydra

This is true for the current metagame, not necessary for the future one as well. But looks like Savage Curse is really going to remain a staple. But when you would catch the nearly dead wizard, would you really prefer to discard his Curse instead of dealing extra 2.5 damage and simply killing him? :) Even having your attack card returned to your hand?

I really doubt you're going to play Crusher having only two Crushing cards on your Nova Axe. The Crusher skills are quite expensive, so you either have a lot of Crushing attacks, or avoid using them. Also, having a lot of Crushing attacks makes you extremely vulnerable to Adaptable.
    As for the "critical failure", did you look at the "laser Malfunction cards"? They may be quite beneficial, in fact. Battery Explosion or Meltdown, for instance.

8. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Terrible formatting, so I'm going to skip reading it [keeping in mind that reading is both confusing and painful for me, so I'm not just posting that as a snark against you].

Try using bullet points, clearly organized pros and cons summaries, and spacing between points.
    It's just impossible to read for me right now, or easy for anyone to compare or assess at a glance, making your post more of a rant [no implication to emotional tone intended] or self-monologue than an actual reference chart of points of note.

9. Kerensky

Kerensky Orc Soldier

I read it just fine, I'd say it's very well formatted with good spacing and just a torrent of links for everything he refers to.

And yes I'd much rather have a versatile purge card when I run triple warrior, who otherwise are helpless against things like nimbus. Putting two purges in my deck isn't going to slow me down when I've got
    http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Items/Bolg's_Big_Iron_Plate
    http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Items/Beater
    http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Items/Bloome's_Barging_Boots
    all doing crushing damage.

Sure if everyone had that set up adaptable would instantly win, but equipping all three people with all that gear is crazy hard legendary hunting, and the other two companions are built to compliment, not mimic.

But two purges are pretty clutch when I need them. People think Nimbus and Force Field is a get out of jail free card to put anyone they want wherever they want, taking that away from them is extremely powerful. There's nothing clutch about getting a card back after you kill your target unless you are in a multi-target PVE situation. And if you're in PVE not using mages or cleave warriors in multi-target situations, I dare say you're not doing it right.

10. Kerensky

Kerensky Orc Soldier

All in all there are some fantastic new legendaries, but it's a pity to see some of them fall short. Who needs a laser rapier when the common bejeweled short sword is a pretty clear winner (even against adaptable because BJSS has 3 different damage types vs quad laser cards on laser rapier) AND is massively easier to acquire?

Why use clumsy and awkward whips with really bad green cards (wounded block? subtle parry?) when you can get a blue
    http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Items/Powerpike
    for superior range 2 killing power that gets better if your targets gets closer to you instead of shutting down completely and not working at range 1?

11. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

My commentary wasn't a subjective one, any more than 'the sun is hot' is a subjective comment.
    The value of hot over cold is subjective, but one for the OP to consider.

In terms of proper presentation of points, he failed to use the formatting necessary for clear analysis of his points, and which is expected in certain mediums.
    In terms of making it- literally, in any way- readable to my brain-damaged self, he didn't use the formatting necessary.
    All I see is a big block of blue and black and blinding white [this seems to be as much due to the lack of spacing between lines as it is due to the frequent use of bright blue links at irregular points], and my efforts to see through that just give me a nausea-inducing headache.

It's totally up to him how he wants to format his post, who he wants to be able to read it, and how he wants them to be able to read it.
    My point was to indicate to him a shortcoming and let him decide whether he cared to address it.

Your point, on the other hand, either suggests you didn't read my post deeply enough, or you're being deliberately insensitive.
    Either way, I have a very low opinion of you at the moment.

Also, if any of those paragraph spacings involve paragraphs that are not direct subsets of the previous paragraph in content, then no, according to proper grammar his spacing is terrible, since you're supposed to put an indent or break-line between non-directly-related paragraphs.

Also, you can edit posts, as well as add links to text so as to not create erratic paragraph flow. Maybe my posts aren't the ones you should be picking at.

And if you think this an overly negative response to a simple, short reply, then short of knee-capping you and then asking you to run a marathon and then commenting that 'What's with that, I can run this easy', I'm not sure how to explain why my response is, from an inside perspective, justified.

Nevertheless, I get that 'Terrible' may have been a trigger word in your case as well, and you intended defense of the OP; nevertheless, I've tried, and I can't come up with better phrasing than that.
    Perhaps since, after all, from the perspectives I've mentioned, it's a valid word use.
    Or perhaps it's because of the headache.

12. Accent

Accent Hydra

At first I thought this was a review of all the new items, that would have just been overkill.

Very surprised you don't love Zoltan's Laser Scourge.

13. Ector

Ector Hydra

Does anybody need such review? Most of the time people just want to rate their Legendaries. Epics aren't so expensive to hesitate about buying them... if you like it, buy it! I will probably review just the best epics and rares.

Why? Should I like every item with a lot of Lunging Bashes? :)

14. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Hi Ector,

How many of the items that you reviewed have you played with and tested? I've been playing with nova axe for the last week but still don't feel I'm in a position to give a definitive review on it (besides how much I love drawing laser thrust with elven maneuvers), but that's just me.

I'm not interested in wasting time on meaningless back-and-forth intellectualising so, no need to replyunless you feel you need to.

This will sound flagrant But I feel, the best way to contribute, is to have some experience with that thing first. Otherwise honestly, anyone with a little intelligence and prior playing of CH, can put their two cents worth in and call it an evaluation. That's why peonprop gets big, er, props in my book, when he tests decks and items extensively and reports on the results.

15. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

As a three-wizard team, there's nothing I love to see MORE than Cushioning Armor. It does nothing against my un-buffed Arcane Bursts and Deadly Sparks. And even if I have Spark Generator on, I'm only losing 2 damage. I can live with that.
    I want everyone to run that armor. Please, take up an armor spot to keep it around, I implore you.

That being said, thanks for the round-up on the legendaries, and confirming that I shouldn't be using any of them.

16. Ector

Ector Hydra

None of them. If I'd have played them, you'd get much more detailed review I guess, but my general knowledge of the game is enough to write what I wrote.

Glad to hear this. When you would finally write something about it, I promise not to ask stupid questions about your experience with it, your rating with it, and so on :)

Really? What are you doing in my thread then? :)

Your opinion is only your opinion. Even if it's shared by somebody else (like peonprop), I don't have to agree with it. Moreover, your experience with certain cards and items mean nothing in my eyes, since I don't know you, and I don't know whether you're a good player, and whether did you test a good deck or not. My reviews are useful right because they're based on the theory - the thing you've never tried to build or even understand. Of course, I can be wrong with my assumptions, but you may be wrong as well, having just tested the wrong deck versus the wrong metagame.
    Now, please, leave my thread and go read peonprop's texts you like more.

17. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Dude, people don't always agree with me but they know I won't assault them for having their own opinions. If you can't handle people shooting down your ideas don't hand them the ammo in the first place.

Flaxative likes this.
  18. Kerensky

Kerensky Orc Soldier

Wow this thread derailed in a hurry. Too bad, I was enjoying the card discussion with Ector.

19. realm151

realm151 War Monkey

maybe you folks could be so kind as to help me bridge an apparent gap in understanding that i'm suffering from... i checked wikipedia first but i'm still confused...

wikipedia tells me that 'the term "theory" refers to "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment.'

so it sounds like theory needs to have testing and a set of empirical data to be able to claim validity? or am i reading this wrong

20. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

That's scientific theory, realm151 [and the more appropriate use of the word].
    We're referring to common theory [which is the more common, casual use of the word], which is more a matter of surface analysis and casual hypothesizing than actual validating and research.

For example, the phrase 'theory-crafting' specifically refers to designing and evaluating builds in a game [especially within MMOs], and generally suggests no actual testing of the build in question.