Suggestion from a Good Negative Feedback of Steam

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by juaner, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Mr. Magnifico

Mr. Magnifico Thaumaturge

The reviewer seems to be reasonably articulate and not gratuitously mean to me, but to my mind the review is too focused on "Did I like it? Why or why not?" rather than "What is this game trying to do? How well or badly does it set out to achieve this?" If you don't like turn-based tactical games, CH is probably not going to be for you no matter how good the UI is. The reviewer seems disappointed that CH is not more RPG-like. That's a perfectly valid preference, but since that's not really what CH is trying to do, it's not a fault if it doesn't do it. I don't think CH is guilty of giving the impression that it's one kind of game when it's largely a different kind of game, but to the extent that it fosters confusion on this score it does invite disappointment.

Even though it's not an RPG, CH is definitely trying to be an homage to tabletop role-playing games. This makes the reviewer's later criticism that the figures don't dynamically reflect how much damage they've taken seem unfair. The physical cardboard bits from pen-and-paper RPGing that the figures represent certainly didn't change as your character took damage. And the color of the HP circle does change to reflect how beat up your guy is.

The reviewer is spot-on that one thing CH is about is deck-building, so the criticisms of the deck-building UI are of more moment. Most or all of what the reviewer wants out of the deck-building UI is there in one form or another, but I agree with @Bandreus that it could certainly be more intuitive and streamlined.

I don't think the shops are a really crucial aspect of gameplay, but FWIW I do find it cumbersome to interact with them. The selection of items is so large that, even when I had very little equipment and could have used things from the basic shops, I just didn't have the patience to wade through all the offerings and see if any of them were good buys for me. (The fact that I was intimidated by the extensive array of items for sale in any given shop seems like a solid reason to keep them split up the way they are.) The Renown-based pricing system also encouraged me to put off buying things in shops until later, and I'd often not bother to come back when "later" came around. I'm not very excited about real-life shopping either, so this aversion to the shops might be more me than the game, though.

The complaints about positioning are what lead me to believe that either the reviewer really doesn't understand the basics of CH gameplay, or that s/he just fundamentally doesn't like what CH is trying to do. It's an exaggeration to say that CH combat is all about tactical positioning, but it's not that far from the truth. If that aspect of CH doesn't float your boat, this is just never going to be the game for you. So, the review may explain why the reviewer is not a CH fan, but it doesn't offer a very strong case that there's anything fundamentally wrong with the game for those of us who like that sort of game.

ParodyKnaveBob, Vholes and DunDunDun like this.
  2. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

* Emphasis added. *
    This may not be gratuitously mean, but it's at least sanctimonious and snarky. ;)

3. ClanCrusher

ClanCrusher Hydra

Wait, back up...

So...it took several hours for this guy to get past the first few levels of this game and in those several hours he never discovered the Multiplayer tab? I'm sensing a small bit of exaggeration...