Greater Sulphuric Staff: Controlling Time and Space

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by RedPower, Jul 19, 2015.

1. RedPower

RedPower Kobold

(Disclaimer: I swear I was not paid to do this review)

Greater Sulphuric Staff: An uncommon staff, unlikely to be used in any meta. Its DPS is low, its range is all over the place, and there are other staffs with more utility for a lower cost.

But, its control of time and space is undeniable. Accelerate Time, a new gamebreaking card in the wizard's bag of tricks, makes this staff shine.

First off, let's look at the cost analysis:

You're paying one major and one minor token for 6 cards.

The major token is going towards a Mighty spark and 2 Acid sprays - arguably worth a Gold and 2 Silver. Usefulness asides, we can see just that the price is justified.

The minor token, is basically a Destructive Wand. Most people would rather use Akon's Amulet, which discards ALL armor cards, vs just one.

But hear me out, ye unfaithfuls! Did you know Accelerate Time can only exist in arcane item slots?

Furthermore, terrain damage is totally independent of what damage boosts you get on your wizard. Therefore, the only way to boost damage using terrain, is by removing armor!

Oh you say, Trog Melter does all this for free! Well yes. But does it have a range of 10? You can literally pick your opponent off before the game even starts. Priest damage boosts also help here, but that's another story.

So, boosting your Volcano-toting wizard with armor removal, you have excellent control of the long range game. Immunity to fire? Your bronze card removes that Resistant Hide with ease.

Now things get a little tricky when they get closer. This map rotation has a lot of open space, and not alot of choke. Illusory Barrier MAY slow them down a bit but ultimately they can Step Move past it. Flash Flood is situation-dependent - you may get to trap them if you're lucky, but that's one less attack in your bag of spells.

Let me introduce to you Acid Spray. It slices, it dices, it makes julienne fries! It creates a wall space of FIVE (5) tiles wide! At close range, it can deal damage and/or eat a block. Yes, they can slowly wade over, but a simple Telekinesis will cost them 2 move cards. And trust me, nobody likes it when you jizz all over the VP - they'll stay the hell away from it, giving you more time to set up your Accel. Time combos.

It has other uses as well. Smoke or Illusions blocking your vision? Acid disinfectant will solve all problems. Radiation issues? Scrub it clean with a bit of of Hydrogen Peroxide. Strips away armor, and also synergies quite well with Accelerate Time.

In conclusion, if you got the Time, try out the new universal solvent - Greater Sulphuric Staff. And if you order now, you can try the BRAND NEW (major) TOKENLESS version - Sulphuric Staff (minus shipping and handling) for the low price of $9.99! After all, everyone needs more MAJOR tokens to accelerate MORE time (although seriously, I would at least dedicate one slot to a Ring Of Appropriation)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

This is why Red Power is in The Cult of Ironwood.

3. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

I have actually taken great interest in finding good staffs which use minor tokens, because it's super fun to play with Accelerate Time (though some opponents must hate it because they end up passing consistently).

Staff Of Chask is something I use very often. It's really good for control wizards.

Oaken Staff Of The Magus is worth considering if you like getting down and dirty at close range with your wizard.

Staff Of Pain has wonderful damage output if you don't want to get close.

Swamp Staff works like the Greater Sulphuric Staff, but without the major token cost. (Use Akon's Amulet or something else with Boiling Armor on the other wiz, or on this wiz too.)

4. Fifjunior7

Fifjunior7 Hydra

I'm sorry