Not sure if this is a bug or just a very strange interaction

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by LieutenantCommanderData, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Enemy places radiation tile. Radiation tile gives you the Trip handicap. You play Shrug it Off, and nothing happens. Intended?

2. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

3. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

I don't think this is a bug so much as the fact that we didn't "update" Shrug it Off to discard Handicaps, like we did with Purge.

The Trip is not an enemy controlled card - it's played by and controlled by you. Shrug it Off only discards enemy controlled cards.

4. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Actually...
    I have tested it and Shrug it Off will remove allied controlled handicaps (and needs a wording update to reflect that).

However, the handicaps from radiation terrain are not played by "you" as they never enter your hand but attach automatically and thus are still enemy controlled if the terrain is enemy controlled. Or put in more detail:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  5. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Can we just change Purge(and other purging cards) to remove all enemy cards and all handicaps? The wording change would be simple:
    Discard all enemy cards and all handicap cards attached to target character.

visak13, Krunail, 40c_rudy and 3 others like this.
  6. wazzur

wazzur Kobold

hi Jon, can we get a clarification on this? Were radiation handicaps intended to be controlled by the person hit with it? Because currently they are considered enemy controlled cards and thus cannot be purged exept by the enemy.

7. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Not entirely, some are, and some aren't. See my quoted post above.

timeracers likes this.
  8. wazzur

wazzur Kobold

thats true.. but in multiplayer we dont see any handicaps from the third category. I was just curious if all of this is working as intended currently.

9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Purge change coming... eventually =)

10. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

Really? Disagree with me, but I think it's fine the way it is. Enemy-applied handicaps are usable because they are hard to remove. The player usually has to get lucky to be able to exploit them. If they could be removed by Purge I don't see much reason to play radiation terrain anymore.

I originally thought that they should be removed by Purge and similar cards, but after a few hundred games I realized that would make radiation too weak. The chance of getting a good attachment fitting the situation is like 1/4 or less. You can play around attachments too, and they are washable especially if your opponent stacks them on you. Now that they can't get be purged, cards like Holy Presence and Gene Therapy suddenly have much more value. In fact, I've noticed a significant increase in the number of players running Holy Presence after EttSC.

Purge is already so strong. It's almost never a dead card, and with Altruism you can get the chance to cycle it when it's not needed. I feel, if Purge becomes too useful, it won't be good for the game. There are so many reasons to run a priest already. When a counterplay effect becomes so all-encompassing, games could stagnate.

Maybe if handicap effects become too annoying, we could see more items with Gene Therapy to serve as the counter instead.

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

That's a lot of reaction given we haven't revealed the change yet. Don't freak out ;)

12. Remove all attachments from target. And from other enemies. And allies. And all terrain attachments. And all cards. And all doodads. And all tiles. May the world be cleansed.

ParodyKnaveBob, Han Lee, CT5 and 2 others like this.
  13. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Just run humans with Lateral Thinking. Problem solved.

CT5 and FrigusMacto like this.
  14. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

"That's using the ol' noodle!"