Why are there so many "evil" quests?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by HunterMike, Jul 17, 2015.

1. HunterMike

HunterMike Mushroom Warrior

Seems like there are many adventures that make me feel less than just, with few choices to be heroic. Breaking into places and killing servants and/or dogs so I can steal stuff is just evil. Sure I can avoid those adventures, but others are exhausted and the bad ones are my level (with limited options for new content per level).

I just broke into a winery to steal a compass to find some treasure...but that alone doesn't seem very heroic.

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

How about Highway Robbery? Did that one make you feel good? =)

kustaa and DunDunDun like this.
  3. HunterMike

HunterMike Mushroom Warrior

There are undoubtedly some heroic adventures! But given the limited amount per lower level (I'm level 8), it just feels like I'm forced to be bad sometimes. Would like to play this more lawfully.

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

No no... go back and read the description of Highway Robbery. :p

kustaa likes this.
  5. Hey, if that crotchety old man didn't want my axe in his back he should have used some of that treasure pile to hire some proper guards.

6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

The motivation laid out in the campaign is pretty bogus. I just pretend they're all yankees, and it's open season.

7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I always assumed the core module stories assume the players act like players in most tabletop games—sociopathic murder hobos.

Sir Veza, Turbo164, Maniafig and 10 others like this.
  8. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Black Oaken Heart's storyline is by far the worst, even Gary comments on how unreasonable it seems.

And my take on the Xorr storyline is that he's an evil nobleman [is there any other kind?] and the item in question is magical and needs to be put to better use than being hoarded by an oppressive, rich old nobleman.

Besides, I'm not killing the guards and dogs, I'm knocking them out.. with, uh, really hard blows. They'll be.. fine..

Likewise, adventurers or not, if someone powerful tells you to do something morally ambiguous in most medieval themed settings, you sit down and do it, or you're the one dying next.

Also, you mention killing 'servants', but you don't ever have to kill servants, they don't count toward victory, and that's really the merit of if you're a good-aligned party or not :)

ParodyKnaveBob, kustaa and Sir Veza like this.
  9. Vholes

Vholes Thaumaturge

The game parodies roleplaying rather than encouraging it. My suggestion is to embrace a roleplaying challenge. This can give your roleplaying a sense of accomplishment that takes the place of tangible game roleplaying rewards (since those don't exist).

For example, play a priest who never uses Unholy cards. Play a warrior who only attacks enemies from the front or sides (backstabbing is evil). In particularly "evil" quests, try to win with the victory squares and leave the good "enemies" alive.

10. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Who says you have to kill anybody you get just put the character on a hot spot, it's not like your killing him. It's just because he is stupid enough to stand there that he is dieing. Reminds players of what Squeamish says in the battle logs: InsertNameHere hates the thought of killing someone

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  11. Stage

Stage Orc Soldier

...I want that as my guild title.

12. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

You should make a guild with that name.
    I'd love to see Sociopathic Murder Hobos, 99 Lenbears WalkingOnFire, Screaming Sky Raptors, and Evil Gnome Alliance all in the season finals one day..

Just remember, you're not a real guild until you have at least three different parts to your guild name :)

Right, Sorcererers? ;P

But really, Sociopathic Murder Hobos is a great guild name :X

13. Stage

Stage Orc Soldier

Sorcererers has three parts! A beginning, a middle and an end!

Without the beginning, we'd be some form of er. Nobody would know *what* we er'd. The beginning communicates our enthusiasm for sorcing.

Without the middle we'd just be sorcers. That doesn't help anyone.

And without the end, people would not understand the extent of our enthusiasm for sorcing!

14. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

"

So, it's like a drug cult, where the drug is sorcery?

Man, I can totally see Flaxy in a clearing shooting off magic sparklers and giggling..

Wow, your guild really IS the best :eek:

: points down :
    Mine has its merits, though ;)

15. ArnieBear

ArnieBear War Monkey

I think the whole basis of cardhunter is to parody the generic view of RPG gamer(s), so the stories have been written to focus of the worst behaviour or moral values/conduct of what most RPG games have you do as a hero and not make you think of the real ethics of killing/stealing.

In most RPG's I've played as a hero I will often steal items from houses, ransack houses looking for items, kill countless "monsters" etc without thought - to me it was interesting to see a game parody this.

Personally I agree that the actual stories hear are quite dark, but you can always think up a different or more just/heroic story in your mind for the mission. In the instance of the compass what if the lord was evil (and his guards equally evil and devoted to him)and used the compass to enslave the townsfolk for his own needs and you need to get the compass back to overthrow his despotic rule and free the people

Flaxative and Pawndawan like this.
  16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

DunDunDun likes this.
  17. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

18. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

I can't watch Youtube, due to a Google-media-backend compatibility issue with older DOCSIS modems :(

tl;dr- er, tl;dw it for me?

19. Batman is actually constantly killing people but thinks they are just sleeping. Doesn't understand death in general. Thinks his parents went to a farm.