Zalminen's Beta Diary

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Zalminen, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Truhlsrohk

Truhlsrohk Kobold

Please, please hurry up and release more Beta's......! This great review is just too much temptation........

2. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

As Jon confirmed, you're right Donnola. :)

I did have a vague memory that it might be possible to use the Step to not move but just to turn. But as the foe was already in front of Agreyn I wasn't sure if I could just stand completely still or if I'd be forced to either move or face away from the foe and thus lose my chance to attack, I didn't want to potentially waste a card and possibly lose the fight just to find out what the exact allowed options were.
    And as I was in a bit of a hurry while doing the write-up I forgot to add that part.

But cool, all the better if it's 'up to 1 square', the card just got a little more useful!

3. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight three

More Lizardmen. This time in addition to the previous Warriors there are also three of them carrying nets plus one who looks like a cleric of some kind.

[​IMG]

Silvershield slaps a Righteous Frenzy on his fighter ally. The reptilian cleric retaliates by casting Misfortune on the dwarf woman. Unfazed, she just turns around and casts a Healing Presence on Mizana.

Agreyn charges the closest Lizardman Netter but gets a heavy net thrown at him

[​IMG]

Agreyn's frenzied hits drops the Lizardman warrior but he gets a Strong Stab in between.
    Heroes again retreat to the area covered by Mizana's Healing Presence and wait for the foes to move closer, but the netters manage to net Silvershield with their superior range.

The second Lizardman warrior moves in range and gets zapped twice by Mizana. I quickly pass first as I wouldn't be able to kill the foe with the remaining Penetrating Zap.

Next turn I only get a couple of lunges with the new cards.

[​IMG]

Silvershield uses hers to hit the closest reptile and while one of the netters happens to Fumble, Mizana gets stabbed and the bad luck brought by the enemy cleric guides the stab past her armor.

Mizana zaps the Lizardman Warrior and retreats. The foe also retreats to get to a better spearing distance from Silvershield but the dwarven priestess pulls back as well to Healing Presence area and uses her Minor Heal on Mizana.
    The netters move again to get to their maximal netting range.

Agreyn moves to the lizardman who has no cards left.
    The enemy cleric casts an Unholy Curse on Silvershield!

[​IMG]

Ouch, better stay away from foes during this spell's duration.

Agreyn is now able to lunge and kill the second warrior.

Next turn Silvershield again is struck by Misfortune, and Mizana is the only one to get an attack.

[​IMG]

Mizana uses her attack to zap a foe, Silvershield gets netted and as she's still cursed she takes additional damage. And since she's encumbered from the net she can't even get to safety!

Agreyn tries to chase a foe in the hope of getting it to retreat but the foe won't fall for it and just stabs the human fighter.
    Mizana hides behind the pillars and Gary gets to pass first.

Next turn the priest gets Defensive:

[​IMG]

Silvershield gets another dose of Misfortune.
    "Stop that, you fiend" Agreyn roars and runs towards the netter guarding the reptilian cleric and intending to make sure the cleric won't be able to cast more spells.
    The cleric tries stabbing the insolent human instead but Agreyn easily blocks the blow.

Agreyn bludgeons the netter, causing all the netters to find better positions. Silvershield moves to cover

The enemy priest tries stabbing Agreyn but gets blocked again. The frustrated priest retreats as both Mizana and Silvershield move. The cleric grins mockingly and throws one more Misfortune, this time on Agreyn. Silvershield catches one of the netters and drops the reptilian with a Violent Overswing, albeit getting netted again while doing so.
    I pass first and the netters move once more before Gary also passes.

[​IMG]

Next turn Silvershield's slapping hand again gets active and the frenzied Agreyn charges the enemies. For some strange reason Gary decides to pass, giving Agreyn a free chance to bludgeon the annoying netter. It flees.
    Agreyn pursues but gets stabbed by the both lizards while Mizana moves to shooting range. Her two zaps drop the northern netter while Agreyn gets an Unholy Curse from the cleric.

"Hey Miz, give me a hand here, I'm gonna make that overgrown lizard eat this mace," Silvershield yells while running towards the cleric as fast as her short legs allow.
    "Stop calling me that!"
    Despite her protests Mizana casts the spell and a telekinetic hand grabs the dwarven priestess, flinging her towards the enemy cleric.
    "Thanks," Silvershield shouts and bludgeons the overconfident foe. "But if you lift me feet first one more time, you'll wake up with that hat sticking out of your..."
    "Aaaaah!"
    Silvershields words are cut off by Agreyn falling to the reptilian cleric's stab.

Next turn Mizana moves between the two foes to prevent both from getting away. The netter Fumbles, clearly unnerved by the incoming hat and the cleric backs away from Mizana.

[​IMG]

Mizana uses a Big Zap on the netter as Silvershield lunges at the cleric. Silvershield tries to make the enemy cleric's faith waver but the foe just flings another Misfortune on Mizana.
    Annoyed, Silvershield moves next to the reptilian cleric.

Next turn - and only one attack card for Mizana. Mizana retreats and zaps the cleric but gets slapped with another Misfortune.
    Silvershield also seeks cover, receives a Misfortune of her own but gets to heal herself with the Minor Heal.
    As the netter moves I get to pass first.

[​IMG]

Finally some proper attacks!

Mizana drops the Lizardman Cleric with a Sorcerous Bolt but gets netted. She retreats behind the pillar while Silvershield charges the enemy hitting it with a solid whack!

Gary passes so Mizana feels safe enough to move around the pillar to Big Zap the remaining foe.

With all the lizards down, it's a victory for our heroes and adventure complete as well.

And the added exp means a level up for all three!

Agreyn gets a third weapon slot, Mizana gains a third arcane item slot and Silvershield gets a second divine weapon slot!

Yay, with the additional attacks brought by the second weapon looks like I won't have to switch to another character.

Going through the lizard's possessions I find some treasure, White Orb, Cracked Sword - and Crazy Boots.

[​IMG]

Agreyn takes the new boots to try them out and re-adds the Kobold Killer to his third weapon slot.

Mizana adds the new White Orb to her new slot...
    Agreyn: "Hey, can I take a look at your two White Orbs?"
    Mizana: "Dream on... Next you'll be wanting to show me your Thick Club, right?"
    Agreyn: "How did you guess?"
    Silvershield: "Hey, if it's not good enough, you can always borrow my Blessed Branch!"

It's like the double entendres just write themselves...

Back on the map the heroes check the stores again.

Silvershield buys a Cloudy Charm to replace the useless Crude Healing Charm but unfortunately she can't use it yet as it has a talent requirement (one clear pip).
    She also buys a Neophyte's Cleaver to replace the Blessed Branch (as Wavering Faiths are better than Minor Heals) and a Mail Of Righteous Anger to replace the Hide Of The Frenzied (as Spiked Mail is better than Thick Hide Armor) .

After this, my current party looks like this:

Agreyn
    Level 5 Human Warrior

Mizana
    Level 5 Human Wizard

Silvershield
    Level 5 Dwarf Priest

And here's my current options for the next adventure:

[​IMG]

4. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

...and for some reason this made me feel like some evil mastermind :D
    [​IMG]

Megadestructo likes this.
  5. Donnola

Donnola Mushroom Warrior

This diary reminds me of reading the Warhammer/warhammer 40k/Mordheim battle reports in White Dwarf magazine, it's fantastic!

6. DenieD

DenieD Mushroom Warrior

ooo Slub'Guts looks like it needs a spring clean ;)

7. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Slub'Gut's Sanctum

Our heroes continue in search of the Lizard Priest Slub'Gut. They're stopped by five netters and one more of those Black Oozes.

[​IMG]

As the ooze is already right next to them, Agreyn immediately targets the slime with a Violent Overswing while Silvershield whacks it from another direction. The blob hits Agreyn back and the human fighter also gets hit by a flying net.
    Mizana joins the fray and her Sorcerous Bolt turns the black ooze into tiny black flecks.

Some of the netters move to better positions and Mizana wounds one with a Long Spark.

Agreyn goes on a Wild Run, trying to get closer to the foes despite being encumbered. The netters retreat. Mizana Big Zaps the westernmost foe while Agreyn gets hit by a another net.

Next turn agreyn turns around, charging east. One of the foes fumbles and the netters move. The one facing Agreyn doesn't have time to flee before being struck by the human. Mizana also heads towards the eastern reptilian.

[​IMG]

Mizana zaps the netter and the foes dart away once again.

Silvershield moves closer and heals Agreyn but gets netted herself. I get to pass first.

Next turn Agreyn goes on a rampage. He easily slays the closest foe with an Able Bludgeon, blocks a net thrown at him and swiftly charges another foe. While he takes a stab to his elbow and is only barely standing at 1hp, his bludgeon hits another netter.
    The netters retreat away from the human fighter. Mizana runs closer and the reptilians again pull back to maintain a better distance.

[​IMG]

Mizana zaps the north foe but gets stabbed, the spear finding it's way past her Cloth Armor.

Silvershield moves closer to Agreyn to heal the fighter but gets hit while doing so. The netters dance around again. The dwarven priestess tries to disrupt one of them with Wavering Faith.

Gary passes and I take the opportunity to move Mizana closer.

Next turn begins with a netter fumbling. It's throw hits Agreyn but his armor prevents the net from doing any damage. It still slows him down enough to turn his run into a crawl.
    As the netters try to dance further once more, Mizana grins and using Telekinesis flings the netted Agreyn head first towards one of the retreating reptilians.

[​IMG]

Agreyn strikes, wounding the foe while Silvershield gets netted again.
    Two of the netters move away but the western on is still close enough for Mizana to weaken it with a Bungled Bolt, taking minor damage from the blast herself. The reptilians respond with a another net.

Silvershield still has three attacks and a move left but she's too encumbered to reach the foe so I'm forced to pass and discard two cards..

Next turn the once again unemcumbered Silvershield lunges at the nearest foe. Agreyn joins in by bludgeoning the same target.
    The netter retaliates and as it's blow manages to slip past both his shield and armor, Agreyn howls in pain - but still manages to stay on his feet. 1 hp, who needs more...

Silvershields finally takes down the netter with a Lunging Hack. lunges while Mizana is hit with another net.

[​IMG]

It's now three versus three.

Silvershield moves to the northeast foe. The other netters move but the dwarf's target never gets to do that as her Chop splits the reptile open and it crumbles.

The enemies seem to be out of attacks for the turn so the heroes spend their remaining moves to get closer - albeit slowly thanks to all the nets thrown at them earlier.

Mizana manages to get close enough to the reptilians to zap one.

Next turn begins with a another reptilian fumbling. Another tries to stab Mizana but the spear luckily fails to penetrate Mizana's thick hat.

[​IMG]

Since the enemies still have quite a bit of health left, Silvershield slaps a Righteous Frenzy on Agreyn to even things out. The netters move, byt Agreyn charges after them, catching one. The reptilian gives a screech and and makes a surprising move towards Mizana!
    As this still leaves it in range of Agreyn's club, the human fighter does a Trained Bludgeon at the foe's back.
    The beast retaliates with a stab which unfortunately is accurate enough to take out Agreyn.
    Mizana zaps the weakened foe and as Gary passes Silvershield uses her move to get closer.

Next turn Gary luckily decides to start by pulling the closer netter away from Silvershield. (Had either netter attacked Mizana first, I'd probably have lost the fight...)

Mizana grins at the dumb reptilians and let's out her fiery nature:

[​IMG]

The Fire Spray is enough to kill the first netter but it also annoys the second one enough for the green beast to stab Mizana to a deadly effect, leaving Silvershield to face the last netter alone.

Silvershield quickly uses Wavering Faith on the foe to remove it's last card. This gives her an opportunity to move next to the foe and hit it with a Simple Strike.

As the netter is now down to 1hp, I pass - and watch as the foe succumbs to the Burning damage.

Yay!

Loot: 2 more Chain Scraps.

Pengw1n likes this.
  8. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight two

Hmm, looks like Slub'Gut is still a bit unfinished artwise...

[​IMG]

Agreyn uses a Wild Run to reach the darters; one of them quickly retreats.
    The other gets a Strong Bludgeon in the shoulder (saving Violent Overswing for next turn as using that would have forced me to discard the Strong Bludgeon which is a one of my better attack cards).
    As Mizana also runs closer the darter retreats.
    Silvershield marches towards the reptilians as well and as Agreyn gets stabbed she uses a Wavering Faith on the foe.
    As there are no enemies in range and I'm out of moves I pass. Slub'Gut still casts an Unholy Curse on Agreyn and moves closer.

[​IMG]

Agreyn moves to the northern pair and while Slub'Gut manages to pull back, the darter dies to a Violent Overswing. Mizana also runs closer and after the reptilian cleric casts a Misfortune on Agreyn, Mizana gets to Fire Spray both foes.

Slub'Gut again slithers closer.

[​IMG]

Silvershield slaps Agreyn once again into a Righteous Frenzy but Slub'gut stabs the human before he gets to attack. The stab plus the additional damage from the Unholy Curse proves too much for Agreyn and he falls.

"Take this, you big maggot, " Mizana snarls and Big Zaps the madly cackling Slub'Gut, followed by a Spark.
    The darter tries to protect it's master by stabbing Mizana.
    Silvershield still hasn't reached the fight and Slub'Gut slams a Misfortune on the dwarf, as if dismissing her.

Having run out of attacks for Mizana and moves for Silvershield I pass. Gary isn't done however and both foes still move with the darter deciding to lunge at Silvershield. Taking advantage of its foolishness the dwarf's mace connects with a solid 'whack' and as it tries to scuttle between the heroes Silvershield gets another hit in.

[​IMG]

Next turn I only a get one weak attack each but the foes are already weak enough that I realize I can win this nevertheless.

Silvershield strikes the darter and while Slub'Gut moves it can't escape Mizana's Long Spark.

As both foes are now at 2 hp and thus going to die to the remaining Burning damage I only need to retreat and pass.

"Nothing beats the smell of burning lizard in the morning," Mizana sighs, warming her hands in the remaining flames.

With this win it's adventure complete!

For Agreyn this also means a level up and he gains a helmet slot.

[​IMG]

Loot: some treasure, Poor Man's Mail, 2x Long Axe Of Repentance.

I still haven't picked up anything for the following slots:

Agreyn: Helmet slot and Martial Skill slot
    - Just got the helmet slot, haven't had time to buy anything for it
    - An empty Martial skill slot offers two Bludgeons and a Weak Block which are already moderately useful. I've seen a skill that would boost Chops, one that would boost Bashes, and one that would boost Armors but none of them seemed clearly better than the current Bludgeons so I'll probably keep it like this for now.

Mizana: Robe slot and Arcane Skill slot
    - I haven't yet seen many Robes for sale yet, probably just by chance. The empty slot offers 3x Cloth Armor so something better would be nice.
    - An empty Arcane skill slot brings a Zap, a Spark and a Bungled Bolt I've seen skills that would boost fire spells or lightning based spells but since most of my spells are currently arcane zaps, neither was a clear improvement. So until I find better arcane items or a better staff, I'll probably keep the slot empty.

Silvershield: Divine Skill slot
    - Haven't seen many divine skills for sale. This one I'll probably fill as soon as I find something better that doesn't require a talent as the 2x Minor Heals + 1 Wavering Faith offered by the empty slot aren't that great.

--

Oo, just got logged in quickly to check the changes of 1.5 build, looks like my party will be looking a bit different in the next adventure...

DenieD, Kahar and Pengw1n like this.
  9. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

I'm surprised you don't have a Divine Skill yet. I had them practically pouring out my ears after the first few dungeons.

And for Arcane Skills, the electrical boost also adds Hard to Block to your Arcane attacks, so it's not a complete waste. Right now my Wizard is packing three Copper Zapping Wands (formerly Copper Sparking Wand) for 9x Big Zap and working well when I choose the right boots to make up for the relatively short range.

That said, I recommend Fire magic for the next adventure ... ;)

10. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Well, i've seen some divine skills for sale lately but they've had talent requirements and the first talent comes at - umm, level 7 was it? (Silvershield is currently at level 5, other two are at level 6)

--

Before heading out I visit the stores and Agreyn buys a Defensive Helm .

Then it's time to take another shot at

Rescue from Shieldhaven Prison

Agreyn runs to the closest servant as they once again Raise The Alarm. Areyn strikes the foe down but the guard behind the corner lunges at the fighter. Silvershield does the same against the Man-at-arms but her blow is parried.

Servants continue raising the alarm as Mizana zaps the guard twice (as the foe can't parry magic).

Silvershield takes another hit at the foe but gets also parried. Unfazed she uses a Wavering Faith on the foe and with the guard now out of cards Agreyn's next blow connects, splattering the guard against the wall.

Mizana runs closer to the foes.

[​IMG]

The servants move about while the heroes make their way along the passage, with alarms echoing from the stone walls.

Mizana reaches the next corner first, almost crashing into the Man-at-arms coming from the other direction. The sorceress is quicker to react, zapping the foe but gets Bludgeoned by the enemy. Silvershield mvoes closer and as the servants are busy raising the alarm I get to pass first.

[​IMG]

Mizana Big Zaps the guard and as Gary spends his turn moving the servants, the guard gets a face full of fire and dies screaming.

[​IMG]

Loot: Carnelian Wand and and Shifter's Robe

I'm keeping Carnelian Wand, maybe I'll get more fire-related items. Until then White Orbs more useful.
    Mizana takes a look at Shifter's Robe and decides to give it a try.

Second fight

In next fight I happen to start with the Dimensional Traveller from the Shifter's Robe. This triggers an explanation from Gary:

[​IMG]

Agreyn runs to meet the two Men-at-Arms. The pair is forced to show their hand when Obvious Maneuver triggers, and yes, there's a Parry card in there.

The servants, Silvershield and the guards move and as one of the Men-at-Arms is now in range, Mizana greets it with a Big Zap. The dogs move closer.

[​IMG]

Since one of the Men-at-Arms is now facing away from Agreyn, the guard has no chance of parrying Agreyn's Able Bludgeon and his face meets the stone floor.

The other guard lunges at Agreyn while Silvershield pulls back from the dogs. The dogs dart after Mizana instead but she also retreats.
    With the servants still shreaking alarm Silvershield uses Wavering Faith on the Man-at-Arms.(the guard discards the Parry, yes!)
    Agreyn quickly hits the distracted foe but the damn guard has another trick up his sleeve and parries this blow as well.

The dogs keep hounding Mizana who retreats once more and Sparks one of the mutts. The angered canine uses Vicious Thrust and bites Mizana.
    At least I get to pass first.

The start of turn triggers Mizana's Dimensional Traveller and she teleports away from the ferocious dog,

[​IMG]

Mizana Big Zaps the closer dog but before she gets to use her other spell the dogs suddenly change direction and dart towards the other heroes.
    Agreyn notices the incoming guard dog just in time to meet it's leap with a Trained Bludgeon and the mutt falls to the ground lifeless.

The servants still shrieking alarm nearby, Silvershield hits the other dog which lunges at Agreyn.
    "Come back here, you mangy curs, I've got a little surprise for you..." Mizana calls, running after the dogs.

Silvershield once again uses Wavering Faith on the remaining guard as he hits Agreyn with a sharp blow.
    I pass first while the foes still use their remaining moves, with the guard apparently turning the wrong way and ends up facing the wall.

New turn, and Mizana once again blinks closer.

[​IMG]

Agreyn takes advantage of the guard's previous mistake and hits the foe squarely in the back.

Mizana again moves closer but isn't fast enough to stop the dog from doing a Cowardly Attack on Agreyn. (Good thing the dog wasn't behind Agreyn)

"Gotcha, you filthy mutt! Taste this!"
    "...ayyee, stop burning me...," Agreyn growls, with the flames engulfing him along with the two foes.

As both guard and the dog are now weak enough for the remaining burning damage to kill them both in two turns, I realize the easiest way to win is to just make sure I won't get killed first.

The guard moves and Agreyn tries to retreat, but the flaming Man-at-Arms' lunge ends the heroic escape short.

Mizana flings Silvershield to safety with her Telekinesis spell, rear end first, and smiles sweetly at the dwarf.
    "Better than last time?"

The dwarf decides to ignore the sorceress for now and uses her short legs to put a little more distance between herself and the flaming dog.
    "..and they complain about the smell of a wet dog, yech..."

Next turn Mizana gets to start first and even gets two attack cards!
    Two zaps later the guard is just a smoldering heap on the floor - and the dog turns out be Cowardly!
    Mizana tries putting it out of it's misery with a Spark but the guard dog is too Hard to Pin Down.
    The dog reaches Silvershield but the dwarf's Wavering Faith takes away it's final card and it burns away as the next turn begins.

Loot: Staff Of Defense and Fog Stone

11. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Third fight

[​IMG]

Ok, at least cards aren't that bad this time.

Silvershield slaps a Righteous Frenzy on Agreyn as the dog handler raises the alarm.

The frenzied Agreyn runs to the northeastern foe while another dog Nimble Strikes Silvershield.
    Agreyn manages to bludgeon the normally Hard To Pin Down guard dog. The dogs bound towards the heroes, while Agreyns blow manages to surprise another dog (another failed Hard To Pin Down check).
    The dog bites back.
    Mizana considers zapping the weakened foes but as they would probably just dodge the spell, she decides to retreat next to the dog that already used it's attack.
    The Dog Boy keeps shouting 'Alarm' in the background.

[​IMG]

Mizana zaps the closer dog in the back while another dog leaps to the fray, hitting Silvershield with a Nimble Strike.
    As the dogs seem to form two groups with one group already proven hard to pin down, the dwarven priestess targets a dog from the other group - who Dodges the blow.
    It's unable to dodge Mizana's spell hitting its back though.

The dogs move again and Silvershield retreats. As the Dog Boy decides to run away I try to pass first.
    The dogs however make another move reaching Silvershield and she uses a Minor Heal on Agreyn, not because he needed healing right now, but because this allowed her to turn towards the angry canine!
    Her decision proves to be a good one as right afterwards the dog does a Cowardly Attack. Whew!
    Too bad another dog then comes and finishes the dwarf off.

[​IMG]

New turn and it's two heroes versus five dogs and their handler.

Mizana's zap blows away the weakest dog and I get lucky as the dogs in the bigger group turn out to be Cowardly!
    The dogs move and Agreyn's Able Bludgeon crushes the next weakest foe.
    Dogs move again and Mizana choose her next target so that she will then be facing the dog that may still have attacks.
    Again the precaution proves out to be necessary as the mutt Cowardly Attacks the sorceress.
    I take a risk and pass first.
    The Dog Boy again raises the alarm but the dogs get no attack cards and Gary has to pass as well.

[​IMG]

Mizana immediately Big Zaps the injured dog and it fails to dodge.
    As the dog boy keeps screaming alarm in the background, Agreyn Trained Bludgeons his opponent twice, first hitting the dog from behind and then again as the mutt failes to dodge and proves easy to pin down. The guard dog gives a final whimper while the other one bites Mizana.

As the dog is out of attacks, Agreyn moves to the opposite side of the mutt to keep it from blocking the next attack. The dog doesn't want to get surrounded and moves but Mizana is faster and quickly moves to keep the dog between the heroes.

Next turn I do a little fist pump as the dog gets Cowardly and has to discard all attacks.
    It gets to draw a card to replace Cowardly though and gets - a Cowardly Attack! D'oh!

Result: Mizana down.

Luckily Agreyn has two Able Bludgeons ready and they're enough to kill the last dog.

[​IMG]

Loot: Thick Cloth Armor and Grey Knife

--

I've already fought remaining fights for this adventure but I don't have time to finish the write-ups until tomorrow.
    (I currently just take quick notes and screenshots during the fight and do a proper write-up afterwards...)

DenieD and Pengw1n like this.
  12. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Great writeup as always - however, what's your take on the new figurines? I find the new human warriors eyes a bit distracting, strikes me more as an evil type character than a "hero" - could be a homage to Frazetta (http://thevelvetrocket.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/frazetta-death-dealer2.jpg), also miss Silvershields original look, realize why they changed it but think it looks less a priest now...

13. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

The human warrior does look a bit evil and I may spend some pizza for another figurine once I have time to to play again.

As for the dwarf priestess... Well, she does look less priestly than the previous one but I quite like the new look otherwise :)
    Hmm, maybe the color theme should be changed a bit to make her look a bit more more paladin-like? (e.g. white instead of olive green)

14. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fourth fight

The heroes continue towards the damsel and distress.

"Agreyn."
    "Yes, Silvershield?"
    "I have two questions."
    "Yes?"
    "One: Are you absolutely the right way is through this bloody maze and you didn't just have the map upside down, again?"
    "Umm..."
    "Two: Why are we surrounded, AGAIN?'

[​IMG]

Now it's three Men-at-Arms and three dogs, but all the walls should offer some cover against getting bitten from behind.

Deciding it's best to let the foes move first Silvershield just slaps a Righteous Frenzy on Agreyn. The dogs move in howling, the first one getting splattered by the dwarf's Violent Overswing.
    The guards move closer as well and Agreyn targets the eastern one with and Able Bludgeon, unfortunately getting parried with ease and the guard's return lunge connects.
    Mizana retreats one square to get into a better position and and the dogs move.

[​IMG]

Grinning fiercely Mizana's Fire Spray engulfs the closer foes, the other dog lurking safe behind the corner.
    The angry dog bites the sorceress and she quickly retreats, getting another bite from the dog at the other side.
    Out of moves Mizana zaps the the burning dog but gets struck down by the angered guard's lunge.
    Silvershield heals Agreyn who pulls away from the dog to protect his back.

Next turn - and no attacks for Agreyn!
    Silvershield bludgeons the Man-at-Arms who luckily fails to block. Another guard hits Agreyn with a Perforating Strike.

Silvershield tries hitting a dog but it proves too Hard To Pin Down, running next to Agreyn. The dwarf also gets hit by the guard.

Agreyn again pulls back from the dog, who switches direction and Nimble Strikes Silvershield.

[​IMG]

I pass first and the remaining flames take out the two weakest foes.

Too bad there's again only one attack card, this time for Agreyn.

Agreyn hits the dog and this time the guards lunge is inaccurate and is absorbed by the fighter's armor.
    Silvershield heals Agreyn but gets bitten by the dog.
    I try to pass but once the foes move again Silvershield is forced to try using Wavering Faith on the man-at-arms who still has an action point left. It isn't enough as the guard proves by striking the dwarf down with a lunge.

It's now one vs three and Agreyn again draws no attack cards, instead getting Wimpy. Even the replacement card for Wimpy is just a Hardy Mail.

Agreyn flees and the foes chase him, with one dog managing to hit Agreyn with a Penetrating Lunge. (Agreyn had 3 armors but they were useless against the penetrating attack)

[​IMG]

Finally some attack cards!

Agreyn manages to kill the dog by hitting it twice but gets a Penetrating Cut from a guard and is forced to retreat.

Next turn is eventless as both me and Gary just pass.

The next turn the enemies again move.
    Since the men-at-arms have two parries the only option is to get behind the foes, unfortunately the enemy also has two attack cards and Agreyn gets struck down while attempting to maneuver.

Attempt two

This time Mizana starts with Dimensional Traveller.

Silvershield moves north as the guards move closer. Agreyn hits one the Men-at-Arms, The dogs also bounce towards heroes

Agreyn lands a hit on another guard but gets struck as well.

Mizana zaps a guard while another lunges at Agreyn.

Silvershield tries to whack a dog but it proves too Hard To Pin Down. The other leaps and wounds Silvershield with a Nimble Strike.

[​IMG]

Mizana uses her Big Zap on one of the dogs that rips into the dwarf standing in the way. The weaker zap drops the near-to-death guard.

Gary passes so Silvershield is free to hit the dog and heal herself.

Agreyn runs to the southeast mutt but gets bitten, which gives me the opportunity to pass first.

As the next turn starts, Mizana once again teleports one square.

Looks like Silvershield got no attack cards but atleast she got Spiked Mail.

Mizana zaps a dog who fails to dodge and dogs turn out to be Cowardlys this turn!

The Men-at-arms move and Mizana fire sprays the one coming round the corner.
    The guard retaliates by hitting the sorceress, manages to parry Agreyn's blow and hits the fighter. Silvershield heals Agreyn and to Mizana's surprise a dog lunges at her. The lucky mutt had drawn an attack to replace Cowardly...

As the next turn begins Mizana once again blinks away from the foes, with the flames eating at the guard.

[​IMG]

Argh, just one attack for Mizana!
    ...which means it's time to bravely run away away.

Agreyn retreats from the southern foes and Silvershield pulls back as well, but gets a gash in her side from the Man-at-Arms.

The still burning guard tries to reach Mizana but gets nothing but gets stopped cold by a Zap in the chest and ends up a smoldering pile on the floor.

The dogs run towards the sorceress and she retreats again.

Agreyn gets hit by the guard blocking his way, his armor taking most of the blow.

Mizana uses her telekinetic hand to grab Silvershield and flings her headfirst along the path, away from the dogs.
    "You couldn't outrun a snail by yourself", Mizana yells as an explanation.

Having lost their previous prey the dogs run after Mizana instead, forcing the sorceress to flee once more.
    One of the dogs is able to reach Silvershield and her Spiked Mail fails to protect her from the bite.
    Out of moves, Silvershield heals herself.

Another dog lunges at Agreyn giving me a chance to pass first.

Next turn Silvershield moves closer to Agreyn and as the dogs move to surround the human fighter she slaps him into a Righteous Frenzy.

The guard hits Agreyn with a lunge but Agreyn's bludgeon manages to hit a dog despite it's attempts to evade.
    Agreyn quickly moves from between the dogs, not wanting to get bit from behind.

Silvershield uses a Wavering Faith to render the dog helpless for the rest useless for the rest of the turn.
    Mizana reaches the fight and uses her spells to blast away the weaker dog.

The next turn begins and the remaining guard moves to Mizana.

[​IMG]

Mizana retreats from her opponent and suprisingly Gary passes. Maybe it's his time to have bad luck with the draw?

Agreyn kills the last dog with Violent Overswing and as Gary passes again Mizana is free to zap the foe twice.
    Silvershield moves closer intending to cast a Healing Presence on Agreyn but the Man-at-Arms turns out to have a Penetrating Lunge still waiting and the damage is enough to drop the dwarven priestess.
    Mizana shuffles closer again and both Gary and me pass.

Next turn the guard moves to Agreyn who tries to hit the foe but even though his strike passes the guard's first parry attempt the swordsman is fast enough to do another one, and wounds Agreyn with the return lunge.

Mizana moves to zapping range and as the enemy is now out of moves or lunges she zaps the foe once and Agreyn puts an end to the fight and to the guard with a sharp 'Whack!'

(Phew. One more fight to go...)

Loot: Old Hide Armor and Hide Cap

15. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Last fight

Having finally found the correct route the party encounters the prison's Warden, along with two servants and a nasty looking dog wearing some kind of custom-made armor.

[​IMG]

Wanting to make the most of Agreyn's three attacks Silvershield once again uses Righteous Frenzy on the fighter. The servants raise the alarm upon noticing the heroes but the dwarf only moves a little, wanting the enemy to move first.

The warden does just that, running next to Silvershield. The dwarf tries to whack the muscular human with wit her mace but the man parries the blow with ease.

Mizana zaps the warden as the man hits Silvershield.

Agreyn also reaches the Warden while the servants run around in the smaller room. Agreyn starts with a weaker blow to test the foe's skills but the strike slips past the enemy's slow parry attempt. The warden growls with anger and returns the blow.

"Scar, wake up, you dumb waste of a fur! Kill!"

The warden parries Agreyn's next hit and the dog finally wakes from it's sleep and bounds toward the warden's enemies, it's eyes gleaming with bloodlust. Agreyn manages another hit past his foe's attempted Parry.
    Enraged, the warden and his fierce dog lunge repeatedly at Agreyn. The fourth hit is enough to bring Agreyn down.

The mad dog turns it's attention on Mizana but the sorceress is better protected and the mutt does only partial damage with it's bites.

[​IMG]

As the next turn begins Mizana targets the warden with a Long Spark and the man falls spasming into the ground.
    With the servants doing little but yelling alarm in the background, Silvershield whacks the dog hitting mostly mail and Mizana shoves the beast backwards with her spell.

The dog lunges right back though and both women are forced to retreat with the dog hounding them at each step.
    The dwarf manages to heal herself once but also gets bitten twice by the fierce canine.

Annoyed by the constantly yelling servants (who keep providing the dog with additional cards) Mizana zaps one of the servants twice, ending the man's cries once and for all.

The dog tries to reach the sorceress but is having trouble moving fast because of its Ill-fitting Armor. Silvershield also moves away from the dog, healing herself again and moves towards the remaining servant.

Gary gets to pass first but starts the next turn by moving the servant.

[​IMG]

Mizana zaps the servant and Silvershield whacks the dog that has again reached the dwarf.
    As the dog gets another bite in Silvershield is forced to retreat.
    Mizana moves closer to the servant while the dog keeps attacking Silvershield, leaving the dwarf barely standing at the end of the turn (1 hp left)

Next turn Silvershield gets to Chop the armored dog but it's double-layered armor protects it from the blow.
    Mizana chases the servant while the dwarf again flees from the dog. As this brings the servant close to the dwarf she makes a quick lunge and ends the servant's flight, ensuring the dog will get no extra help from now on.

As the dog has used all the other cards except for the armor, Mizana is safe to advance and set Scar on fire with a Fire Spray, although its armor protects it from the initial damage. She blasts the dog with a Big Zap as well, this time making some actual damage despite the dog's mail.

As the next turn starts, the flames licking it's fur turn the fierce attack dog into a Cowardly mutt!

[​IMG]

...and the good luck also extends to the cards I draw!

One Violent Overswing and the angry dog is no more and it's finally adventure complete as well.

I have to say that was really tough for a level 4 adventure. Parries, penetrating attacks, having to fight surrounded, servants adding attacks... it was tough even with a party already at 5-6 level!

The gained experience gives Mizana a level up and a Human skill slot.

Loot: Chipped Dagger, Old Padded Mail (which is better than Chain Scraps so Agreyn takes it), Heavy Steel-toed Boots, White Orb and a treasure

[​IMG]

Look's like the next time I'll be going after kobold diamonds...

Pengw1n and DenieD like this.
  16. DenieD

DenieD Mushroom Warrior

Good work taking out the servants before the dog, it seems they were giving it lots of ammo. Loving the posts as always, a joy to read :)

Did you find axe cleave skills useful in the confined fighting? You seemed to have 2 enemies near the fighter quite regularly at times.

"There be diamonds in them that hills!"

17. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

I'd love to be able to use chops more, especially in fights with more enemies but so far I haven't found any good chopping weapons.

The axes I've found so far (Hatchet and Woodman's Axe) have too many weak strikes and just feel worse compared to the steady damage of my current clubs (Hefty Stout Club and Thick Club), even assuming a situation where I'd consistently get to hit two foes.

Granted, my third club (Kobold Killer) does have those weak strikes, but the Violent Overswing is just so sweet when I get to use it that I don't want to switch it out just yet :)

18. DenieD

DenieD Mushroom Warrior

Fair enough, was wondering how viable they are, sounds like you just need to find the write item with a good mix of stuff on it and it might be viable to have 1 or 2 in a deck.

19. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Diamonds of the Kobolds

Before heading out, Mizana goes shopping and decides to buy Pyromancy. Since it boosts burning, the sorceress switches Orzo's Excellent Wand to Carnelian Wand in order to get more fire spells.

Whoa, that's a lot of Kobolds. (and a missing screenshot for some reason)

Agreyn gets slapped into a Righteous Frenzy.

The kobolds just stare at the unwelcome visitors.

Silvershield is the first to move, choosing the eastern approach and as the kobolds move towards the dwarf, the priestess gets the first blow in with a quick lunge. Her next hit gets stopped by Jarring Block, leaving the kobold staggering from the heavy blow.It suddenly recovers, hitting Silvershield.

Mizana runs right behind the priestess and zaps one of the little buggers as they mill towards the heroes.

Agreyn quickly joins the others, forming a defensive line with Silvershield. One of the foes manages to wound both heroes with a Clumsy Chop while the other one next to it gets struck down by Agreyn's frenzied Trained Bludgeon.

[​IMG]

Mizana zaps the weakened kobold and both Gary and me pass.

Next turn the kobolds move again and as Silvershield slaps Agreyn into another frenzy the kobolds hit him with a Mob Attack:

[​IMG]

Agreyn hits the other kobold but gets parried, but strikes again and this time the foe has no chance to parry.
    As Silvershield retreats Agreyn gets struck despite his armor.
    Mizana takes the dwarf's place in the line and uses Fire Spray on the mass of kobolds. The weakest immediately fall but a Kobold Avenger manages to hit Agreyn with a Lunging Bash, the blow again hitting despite his armor.
    Agreyn strikes one foe and as Gary passes Mizana uses her Big Zap to hit one of the stronger kobolds in the second row.

New turn, with one of the weaker kobolds succumbing to the flames.

[​IMG]

Looks like only Agreyn will be doing any attacking this turn. Mizana did get Firestarter which will atleast help increase the burning damage on those kobolds that are already on fire. Plus several foes got Wimpy.

Silvershield slaps Agreyn once again into a frenzy and the fighter immediately drops the stronger of the nearby kobolds. His armor again fails to to protect Agreyn from a enemy blow. He pulls back while a kobold coming through the other passage reaches Silvershield and hits the dwarf.
    The heroes retreat towards the next choke spot and Silvershield casts a Healing Presence on Mizana.

Next turn begins begins, with the two kobolds that were still on fire falling and the Healing Presence does its job.

[​IMG]

Hmm, no attacks for agreyn this turn.

Mizana retreats to the narrow passage with Agreyn following her. One of the kobolds lands a hit on him, with the damage somewhat reduced by one of his two armor layers.
    Silvershield gets hit but decides to heal Agreyn as there's only one foe in range of her Chop. The foes move closer but I pass as they're still too far.
    A Wimpy avenger does a Lunging Bash, bringing it close enough for Silvershield to take revenge by Chopping both adjacent kobolds. The other manages to lift it's shield in the way, with the Jarring Block injuring its arm.
    Mizana Big Zaps the other and the turn ends.

The next turn begins with better cards. The same applies to the foes unfortunately, as Silvershield immediately gets hit by a Shambling Bash:

[​IMG]

The foe does take some damage from the dwarf's Spiked Mail though.

Silvershield manages to slap Agreyn with a Righteous Frenzy but then gets struck down as her armor fails to stop the kobolds Bludgeon.

After seeing how dangerous the avengers can be, Mizana immediately targets the next avenger with a zap.
    As the kobolds move the foe gets stuck thrice more, twice by Agreyn and once my Mizana. The avenger falls.

Next turn the kobolds pile closer - and no attacks for Agreyn!

Mizana gets a Dimensional Traveller which isn't going to very useful. Mizana zaps a kobold twice but both spells gets blocked.
    Agreyn gets hit, his armor reducing the damage and the kobolds move again, allowing me ot pass first.

Next turn - and no attacks for Mizana!
    Agreyn uses his only attack on one of the green fiends but the critter parries. Luckily the human warrior's armor manages to protect him frmo the kobolds Mob Attack and another kobold's Clumsy Chop.

I pass first, keeping only the armor cards since.

[​IMG]

Mizana's Spark gets blocked while Agreyn's Bludgeon has better success. As the foes didn't get any attack cards we pass.

Next turn Agreyn takes another hit, his armor reducing the damage somewhat.
    Mizana managed to get both Kindler and Fire Spray but gets a withering look from Agreyn.
    "Don't even think about it!"

The angry fighter hits a kobold as emphasis, the Violent Overswing smashing it against the pillar of stone.
    As Gary passes, Mizana quickly moves to the empty spot previously occupied by the smashed kobold.

[​IMG]

The kobolds barely have time to blink before the flames envelop them, with one of them trying in vain to block the incoming fire. The southern kobold is faster and Mizana's zap harmlessly deflects off its shield.

Next turn both heroes get targetted by a Clumsy Chop, Agreyn managing to block and Mizana's armor partly protecting him.
    Agreyn lands a return blow past the enemy's shield and Mizana uses another Fire Spray on the already flaming kobolds. With the flames eating away at them they are fare no better at blocking. Mizana follows up with one more spray of fire, this time only hitting one of the kobolds but with deadly results.

Agreyn's Strong Bludgeon makes short work of the southern foe and the remaining flames take care of the last goblin.

Loot: Heavy Steel-toed Boots and treasure

20. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight Two

[​IMG]

"Ok, looks like we have to get through that gate and those kobolds," Agreyn whispers to the others.
    A loud squeal cuts through the air, apparently coming from a side passage.
    "...and that's either a couple of pigs or someone wrestling with a bagpipe," he adds.

Getting a Righteous Frenzy from the dwarf Agreyn charges roaring towars to kobolds. Agreyn and the first avenger exchange blows, the green fiend following up with a Shambling Bash and knocking the human fighter back. Silvershield retreats while Mizana hits the stronger one of the nearby foes with a Sorcerous Bolt and then fries the other with a Zap.

The next turn begins - oh, I somehow missed the fact that there were victory squares in this fight! No wonder some of the kobolds stayed behind.

Mizana gets no spells and one of the kobolds turns out to be Wimpy.

Agreyn moves towards the enemies but gets bashed aside by the kobold avenger. Silvershield also moves towards the foes as they move to surround the dwarf. Silvershield manages to hit one of them but gets hit as well while Mizana spends her moves running to a better location.
    One of the foes also hits Agreyn with a Lunging Bash.

[​IMG]

Agreyn strikes back while the other avenger guarding the gate lunges at Mizana.
    Mizana retreats and then runs behind the pillar, reaching one of the victory squares while the oinking from the side passage turns into two armored pigs bounding towards the heroes.
    Agreyn's blow kills his opponent while Silvershield gets hit by another lunge. Silvershield moves and uses Wavering Faith on the kobold close to Mizana.

Next turn the avenger points it's claws toward Mizana.
    "Kill the witch! Everyone, attack! For the Great Horde!"
    The kobold takes a swipe at Mizana but its manic grin fades as it realizes that its Mob Attack is a bit weak without any allies near enough.

It's grin fades even more when Agreyn also runs towards it.
    The oher avengers are busy chasing the dwarf.

[​IMG]

Agreyn bludgeons the avenger but it gets halp as the armored pigs charge towards Agreyn and Mizana.

"Haa, lunch arrives," the fighter laughs, nearly dropping the can-o-pork with a Violent Swing that hits a spot not protected by their armor.

The other pig nips Mizana and gets a Penetrating Zap in return.

The kobolds again chase after Silvershield who tries to dance to get a better opening but gets bashed backwards.
    Silvershield still isn't near enough to hit two kobolds at once with a Chop but decides to just drop the weakest kobold.

Agreyn finally falls to the avenger's Bludgeon while Mizana Short Sparks the kobold.

Silvershield uses her Minor Heal to patch herself up a little.

Next turn begins and Mizana's Dimensional Traveller forces her to blink away from the VP square and the kobolds move again.

[​IMG]

Not looking good. Both heroes only got weak attacks, it's two against four and Gary only needs three more victory points to win the fight.
    There's still time to regroup so I decide to just that.

Both heroes retreat from the foes, with Silvershield also landing a Bludgeon on one foe and Mizana zapping the same kobold between runs. The dwarf also uses her heal on Mizana.

Next turn and one victory point to the enemies for holding the squares.

The weakest kobold turns out to be Wimpy and Mizana gets Firestarter and a Fire Spray! No new attacks for Silvershield though.

Mizana moves closer and as the avengers do the same Mizana again raises her hands.
    "Burn, you filthy maggots, burn!"

The weakest kobold falls straight away but the other surprises the sorceress with a Shambling Bash!
    Her armor absorbs some of the blow keeping the human on her feet but only barely. (1hp left)
    She immediately retreats.

[​IMG]

Silvershield dukes it out with the kobolds, getting a hit in but getting hit herself. The foe manages to hurt itself on the dwarf's Spiked Mail.
    Mizana runs closer to the pig guarding the gate while Silvershield moves as well.

The next turn starts with a burning avenger. The enraged critter lunges at Silvershield, again hurting itself on the spikes. The avenger has only 1hp left but Silvershield again didn't get any attacks!

Mizana Big Zaps the pig and then sprays the avenger running towards her with fire but it's lunge sends the wizard crashing into the ground.

Combined with the VPs Gary already got from holding the gate this means defeat.

Second attempt

Just for fun I decide to switch weapons for this try. Agreyn takes a Cracked Sword instead of Kobold Killer while Silvershield switches her Clumsy Black Mace and Neophyte's Cleaver to a pair of Long Axe Of Repentance.

Silvershield gets Lunging Bashed, Mizana and the kobolds move.
    Silvershield lunges back at the kobold while Agreyn runs towards the gate as well. The avengers move to surround him and while he hits the previously injured one with a Bludgeon he gets hit himself with a Shambling Bash. Luckily the hitter is Wimpy and the blow is partially absorbed by the fighter's armor.

Mizana hits the avenger with a Penetrating Zap while Agreyn gets struck again. Silvershield uses her Minor Heal on Agreyn while the crazed single kobold blocking Mizana's way attempts to Mob Attack her.
    "Me a horde, me a horde!"

Next turn - and Agreyn feels Wimpy surrounded by the kobolds.

[​IMG]

Agreyn tries running away but gets hit.
    Silvershield uses her Reaching Swing against one kobold while the closer one hits her back.
    Mizana moves and Agreyn get struck again. Mizana keeps trying to get past the avenger but gets hit by the Wimpy foe.

Finally in range, Mizan uses her both Fire Sprays against the kobolds guarding the gate. The pigs reach the fight and the first one bites Agreyn.
    Silvershield tries patching the fighter up but the other pig attacks him, his armor stopping part of the bite.

Both Mizana and Agreyn are soon surrounded with Mizana getting Mob Attacked again.
    As Silvershield running to help, Agreyn attacks the foes around him.

Next turn - and only one attack card for the heroes!

After this the fight goes south fast. Both Mizana and Agreyn fall before the end of the turn and Silvershield falls on the next one.

Bah, bad luck with cards ruined this attempt... Weak Strikes and Weak Chops are really useless, especially when Agreyn got Wimpy at the same time.

To be continued, don't have time to write the rest today.