More information about Card Hunter on Steam

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, Jul 3, 2015.

1. That's not a problem at all. I'm happy that this is being sorted out. :)

2. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Quick question-
    The assumption is that previous purchases won't count toward Steam Trading Cards;
    But for future purchases, how will that be handled-
    1. Do BE and expansions count [toward the $9 spent per card unlock], or only pizza?
    2. Do purchases have to be made through Steam [or Steam-loaded game] or could you easily swap between clients, and say, purchase on Kong with Kreds and still have it count?

3. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

I believe that for free to play games, you have to purchase items in the Steam store (i.e. in Card Hunter using the Steam client) to qualify. The drop rate is 1 card per $9 spent as far as I know. I don't believe that we have control over any of this, i.e. it's all determined by Valve and not configurable from our end. So previous purchases will not count - sorry.

4. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

So it doesn't care WHAT you're buying, just that you're doing it through the Steam-loaded client? Mmkay.

That's good information to have, but unfortunately, I've already gotten the Kreds squirreled up for the next expansion :'(

Looks like if I want my Card Hunter steam badges, I'll have to trade for 'em :X

Well, of course, so long as you keep those expansions coming, I'm sure I'll manage it eventually. ;)

5. arkfaint

arkfaint Kobold

What a great news:D!!! It will sure bring lots of new players and old ones back. As far as I know, steam is quite easy to connect in most region than the orignial amazon ec2 seattle server. Hoping to meet more new faces and try to make mp more friendly to them.

6. haho

haho Orc Soldier

this is basically the same game, just with achievements, cards and badges? with no other additions or enhancements?

7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

That's right, unless you think that co-op campaign play and a huge new expansion are additions :)

8. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Oh... uh... well, there goes any chance of getting a Card Hunter badge. :(

I have heard of other f2p games doing a slightly-complicated listing shuffle where they offer pay-for DLC with which the cards / badges are associated. Perhaps there could be DLC kits for Base Treasure Hunts / AotA / EttSC at some point?

9. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

The steam client will still connect to the same ol' CH server, meaning any connectivity issues you might have been experiencing shouldn't be affected in any significant way.

That being said though, the steam version will save assets (card/item art, tiles, etc) locally on your computer rather then streaming them, so you should indeed see improved performance when it comes to loading times and that sort of stuff.

This info is to the best of my knowledge only, take it with a grain of salt. Maybe any of the devs can chime in and clarify this further if needed.

karadoc and Flaxative like this.
  10. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

It is possible to provide in-game purchasable content via Steam DLCs, and yes, certain F2P games have enabled such [SolForge Starter Decks as an off-the-top-of-the-head example].

That'd certainly be super-convenient, not to mention providing more publicity for expansions when they drop;

As to how easy it'd be to implement, that's another matter :)

As far as associating specific trading cards with specific DLCs, I've seen that as well [though I forget where] , but that seems like a mess to try and implement, and that's for specific games that don't have in-game stores, iirc.
    The official Steam view on the matter is
    "Why is my free to play game purchase not granting drops?
    DLC from the Steam Store will not grant additional trading card drops for a free to play game. The only purchases that qualify are those completed through the in-game store."

(Sidenote, I've been told that it is technically possible to adjust the 1 card for $9 ratio [as a developer] by requesting it manually from Valve, but afaik, no developer has actually bothered doing so.)

So, if we want our trading cards, doing it through the Steam Store is pretty sure to not be the way to accomplish it :X

11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

If I can't stick their trading cards in my bicycle spokes, I probably don't need them.
    Which is cool, because now I won't need to buy a bike.

Melancthon and Bandreus like this.