Wizards

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Flaxative, Jun 9, 2015.

1. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

Just going to toss out my opinion since this is a good question that I wonder about too.

I think I'd go 2 BD on one wiz, then Deadly+Sour on the other two. The sparks from Deadly+Sour obviously go very well with Electroporter Novice / Focused Electromancy / Superb Electromancy. These wizards then have the acid from Sour Staff to deal with Res Hide. Meanwhile, the other wiz gets to brag and show off his two shiny toys.

I personally prefer diversifying over specializing. This way even if one character goes down early, I still have some tools on my other characters to deal with problems (armor). The awkward part is that this will mean occasionally you have hands full of armor removal / cards of secondary importance rather than what the character was built to do. But you make it work - you're a wizard, after all.

The benefit of specializing is that you have a much better idea of what your future draws will look like. This can make planning out the next round easier / more likely to stay according to plan.

2. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Thanks, I tend to prefer diversification over specialization as well, but your combination marries them together quite well, I think. I might have to take a look at this.....

3. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

So there is this cool trick were you can use the card Telekinesis to put some one over a wall, pretty sweet I know. Very effective in Maztec Melee and Arena Crescent.

Now that I have fulfilled the original forum intent, here is my wizard that I am running in a 1/1/1.

Pepe Le Pew

Level 20 Dwarf Wizard

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

5. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

So, I know I said you're supposed to have more wizards than your opponent, but sometimes that doesn't work...

Fifjunior7 and Flaxative like this.
  6. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

So, for Citajul, this wizard set-up either wins 6-0 or loses 6-0 90% of the time. The better you are, the more wins, I assume. I'm not sure how many people can put it together, but it's fun, at least for me:

j. lawrence
    Level 9 Human Wizard

t. swift
    Level 3 Human Wizard

j. chastain
    Level 3 Human Wizard

I think it's fairly obvious what I'm going for here. It's just that no one expects that much. And once they realize how much they are getting, it's probably too late, and they are going to get it all.

Any tweaks are appreciated.

Sir Veza, Flaxative and Pawndawan like this.
  7. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

I wish I could run a build like that with that many control effects, and watch player after player get frustrated and surrender to the sheer horror that is control. I am only able to mimic that slightly.

I am perpetually envious of the quantity and quality of wizard items you have. If you have Pergop's Slippers, use them since they are a better version of Zachary's Boots. You might also want to throw in Wlawka's Boots or some other item, since Team Walk can be situationally better.

Anyway, I believe you should make more use of terrain attachments and Path Of Knives. Also, you seem to be lacking any form of armor removal, which can be brutal when your opponent has stacked Barbed Platemail with Enchanted Harness. I suggest you make use of Boxton's Razorstaff and maybe Viscous Locket. Flash Flood is amazing due to the high quantity of choke points in the current rotation, and Acid Blast doubles as armor removal.

P.S. I'm back. I went AWOL for personal reasons. Sorry 'bout that.

8. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

I'm trying out a very damage-heavy build right now, but I see what I can do with these suggestions. I don't have the slippers, so those are out. And i'd like to get some armor removal in, but it would come at the sacrifice of some control. I've found that I've needed that much control with three wizards just to stand a chance in ~85% of the matches I'm in. So, most of the time, I'm not worried about killing with this build, it's more about just keeping them away.

And no need to apologize; I'm happy we have the Mad Professor back.

9. Getorix

Getorix Orc Soldier

Here's a wizard team I'm running at the moment:

Wizard One & Wizard Two:
    Blue Destruction
    Heart Ripper
    Chartwell's Amulet
    Blasting Amulet
    Wym's Fiery Bangle
    Forval's Chain
    Robe of Useful Things
    Xalanen's Boots
    Untrained Flexibility
    Advanced Levitation

Wizard Three:
    Heart Ripper
    Illusion
    Chartwell's Amulet
    Rod of Palver Pree
    Rod of Palver Pree
    Ring of Appropriation
    Perrio's Kinetic Robes
    Xalanen's Boots
    Bloody Command
    Superb Electromancy

It's a bit tossed together for sure, but I find that I almost always draw cards that I'm happy to see and the short perplexing ray might seem like it doesn't work with all those Heart Rippers, but instead puts the opponent in a catch 22 position. Then again, I'm only a 1200 player so what do I really know?