[SUGGESTION] - Reduce Defender's Block Range to 1

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Xayrn, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Xayrn

Xayrn Hydra

I know the idea of nerfing Defender's Block isn't new and has been at least mentioned in a handful of other threads, but I figured it would be a good idea to have a place for discussing this one particular solution to what I believe is one of the largest problems plaguing multiplayer at the moment.

To the point: Defender's Block is strong. Really strong. It's not restricted to blocking a certain type of attack, it generates card advantage, and it works over 66% of the time. Even without its ranged capabilities, it's an incredibly powerful card. Couple this with the fact that it's doubly present on Aegis Of The Defender, and it becomes difficult to justify not using it on your warriors and priests. On top of this, it simply doesn't fit well with the rest of the game. Aside from the fact that blocking something so far away (and potentially through walls) doesn't make physical sense, its mechanics seem to disregard the importance generally placed on positioning. It leaves too much freedom to the blocker by allowing them to passively protect their team without being near the fight, making it hard to deal with and frustrating to play against as a result.

To remedy this, I suggest reducing the range to only allow defending adjacent teammates. This change would make the card far more intuitive and allow it to be reasonably countered by certain strategies; suddenly anyone looking to block for a teammate must also be willing to venture into melee range of their ally and become a target for chops, bursts, and linear projectiles.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Another suggestion in that direction: Make defender's block roll better when closer to the ally. I leave the details to the scholars.

Xayrn and Accent like this.
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Both things that need as little buffing as possible. lol.

If you're having trouble with the intuitiveness of the card, assume it's magical. Absorbing Block doesn't make physical sense, either, and neither does Cause Fumble. ;)

4. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

5. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

^ Unless they're priests, then they're just quickly condensing a Nimbus and throwing it out explosively as a defensive projectile, instead of taking their time shaping it into a more stable defensive ward.

True Story.

6. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Gnomes also make good defensive projectiles.

TreePipit, Jarmo and Sir Veza like this.