Resistant Hide

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Gabbek, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

I'd like to ask few questions about this card. Especially the part: "This armor always prevents damage all damage from acid, poison, electricity or fire." I haven't had a chance to play the game yet but as I've watched all videos and the latest of Wozarg I've noticed one big concern: this entire premium adventure "Cliffs of the Wyverns" seemed easier than any fight I've had a pleasure to see so far. I'm just wondering about it always preventing the damage - I understand that making it 100% chance makes this card really reliable, but isn't it offering too much compared to all other armors I've seen so far? Maybe it should be a roll as well instead of always triggering? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this topic.

2. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Watch that video again and consider that each time i get hit it only reduces 2 damage i can tell you right now that adventure would be ridiculusly hard the same goes for a lot of earlier ones. The elemental heavy adventures like that one are based around the card existing as far as i can see and i still do have to draw it.

3. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

Those are simply suggestions and I'm not saying anything should be changed, I'm just curious of opinion on this matter.
    Few ideas:
    Blocking an additional 2 damage against those elements?
    Full prevention on roll of 2 or higher?

The amount of utility this card has compared to other armor cards seems really outstanding. :)

4. Gabe

Gabe Kobold

I agree with Gabbek on this one. Sure its nice to have on singleplayer against tough opponents, but in multiplayer they may almost be mandatory and be a complete counter to some mage decks.

5. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

That would ruin it against lava squares and such and it really is a balance issue in pvp if you dont have it so maybe its a little too good in pve because it has to be exactly that good in pvp would be my guess.

6. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

That's one of the concerns when you've got so many things to count in. Altough I would say it's more of a PvE issue than PvP - because in PvP you have much more options, and as such you won't target someone with a spell which won't do anything. In PvE it seems like for certain fights all you will need is to draw resistant hide to mitigate 90% of the damage done as creatures throw their spells when *we* know that they are simply a waste of a turn as well as a waste of a card. That's why against AI immunity cards are so insanely tricky to balance.

7. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Thing is pvp is all about meta and counters and to be fair if a single armor stops 3 mages you did something very wrong.

And so you dont have to worry too much about it wyverns do decent melee damage thats why they lack this but mobs that are all spells are grouped with or mobs that can or can them selfs shread or destroy armors.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  8. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

That's where Boiling Armor et c comes into it's full power - so it's not about how powerful a card can be, it's about how easily it's countered in pvp I'd say.

(but yes, it seems a very very good card - esp in pve)

9. Gabe

Gabe Kobold

That is all true, but what I'm saying is that this card alone has the potential to shift meta. For example a fire mage deck has to pack in a ton of discards, just because running into a resistant hide armed trio could shut him down otherwise.

10. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Dont get me wrong the card is insanely powerful but so are caster mobs and you not only give up better armor to use it you also cant have more then 2 in your deck at least at lvl 18

They would have to use that anyway since normal armor also block fire damage it just doesnt block all of it.

11. Gabe

Gabe Kobold

Okay i didn't know the card was so limited, i just figured since i've seen it on some low lvl items, i assumed it would be quite plentiful.
    But nevertheless compairing Crafted Mail and Resistant Hide. Both are of good quality and while Crafted Mail reduces dmg on average by 2, Resistant Hide reduces any dmg on average by 1,3 and neutralizes nearly all spelldamage.
    So if i only had to pick between the two i would always pick Resistant hide unless i know im only running into melees.

12. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

The problem there is you are not comparing the equal options at the point of the wyverns. I pick between 2x 5 armor on 4+ and 1 x 3 armor on 4+ and 2 resistant hide and one 2 armor on +4. I'm not even convinced the resistant hides are better then that but i know taking 10 from my own lava is annoying so thats why i run the hides.

13. Gabe

Gabe Kobold

Yeah obviously it depends on the equip it's on and the talent requirements, and so on. I was just compairing cards of same power level (and was assuming that the powerlevel of the cards an item contains, decides the items talent costs).

14. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

Really interesting conversation! I haven't known that resistant hide is as limited. Altough something seems to be wrong... at least a colour of the card - it's silver and yet it offers 4 types of immunities to damage, which is plentiful.

15. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

That i will give you is a very valid point but i think the color code only maters for the ai

16. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

Think so too in the long run, hehe. This requires much more thoughts than I'm able to provide right now as my current knowledge is way too limited to make more assumptions. :)

17. Scyrax

Scyrax Mushroom Warrior

I agree with Gabe. This kind of balancing can do some dangerous things to a metagame.

At best it'll balance out to a softer rock-paper-scissors meta. If, say, elemental mages are somehow compensated in a way to punish people that aren't packing resistant hides (by way of, for example, more damage) then it could work out that:

Resistant hide > elementalists > other > resistant hide.

The worst case scenario is that entire strategies become completely unplayable.

From what people are saying, it seems this may even be true in single player. People are saying that it is an essential option because casters hit so hard. Casters need to hit so hard to compensated for being mostly negated by resistant hide. The net result being that you are more or less locked into using them (and drawing them) at the expense of actual choice.

Now, I have no actual opinion on wether BM has acheived a careful balance surrounding resistant hide as I am not in the beta. I only wanted to add that I think balancing around hard counters is a dangerous and delicate game.

18. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I'll enlighten you but remember that this is twisted by my own personal opinion. In pve resistant hide is very strong but only truly broken compared to normal armor against all casters but when you are fighting all casters they tend to have discard armor cards so it seams somewhat balanced which is good enough since drawing the right cards is random in the end.

In pvp the control that wizards have and the range and sometimes damage of elemental spells make them too strong generally. But since this one card takes away almost all there damage they need to dilute there deck with armor removal to a critical mass point where they will get one in a few turns of waiting. Which in turn brings them back in line and to counter this people need to get block cards to block the armor removal that takes away there armor but dilutes there ... and so on its decently well balanced i would say.

Also as far as i can see the only reason resistant hide has so many elemental types is so luck doesn't give you only lighting when you need fire early and so on. I have found at least one much better armor that gives lighting immunity in the same way hidde does with more armor.

19. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I'll toss out:

Resistant Hide is great, but I believe it is properly limited. If you get it in the Ruby Demon Portal, then, yes, you are undefeatable . . . except that the enemies in the final battle can hold the victory points and defeat you anyway. Of course, you can then pound them with impunity and try to remove them from the victory points: I'd say that this is what makes it a low-level dungeon.

I just beat the Jewel of Alet Zhav, a mid-level dungeon. Alet Zhav himself was crippled versus my Resistant Hide, throwing so many pointless bolts at the same characters . . . or so I thought until I got into melee and he hit for 9 damage. Oh, and don't forget the zombies: you can resist the poison damage, but not all of the crushing damage or any of the knockback. So far, so balanced.

Next, consider what Resistant Hide does NOT cover: arcane, cold, unholy, psychic, sonic, and anything else I'm forgetting. I believe it was the Garnet Demon Portal, another mid-level one, where you face imps that freeze you in your tracks. Resistant Hide? May reduce the damage by 2, but can't prevent the Encumber effect. Which is very bad for some strategies.

Thus, by mid-level, the dungeons are limiting/surpassing the usefulness of the low-level Resistant Hide.

20. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

And as always Sir Knight in his amazing sir like ways say what i try to with better precision and fever slanted anecdotes!

Gabbek likes this.