How do you overcome Dwarves slow speed?

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Igniferroque, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Igniferroque

Igniferroque Mushroom Warrior

I just started Card Hunter last week. I'm running a Dwarf Fighter, Dwarf Mage and Human Cleric. On a lot of the maps - just finished Guardians of the Astral Shrine - I'm wasting good cards because I'm nowhere near position to use them.

This was made particularly clear to me because I created a second team of all elves. I'm constantly throwing away their Dash cards because they're already in the fight within the first or second round. But their staying power is nowhere near as strong as Dwarves because they're nearly dying despite having epic and rare gear.

To date, I've given my cleric body armor with Energizing Move and my Dwarf Fighter boots with Charge on them. Are there any other suggestions?

2. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Play more move cards on dwarves :) Step-attacks are the best. You can try having a weapon like Rusted Blade or a Simple Dagger in addition to your high-damage weapons to get to opposing wizards. Also having a well-healing priest can make life easier for slow dwarves :p
    Keep trying anyways - there's nothing too difficult in SP ;)

3. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I ran the same config as my starter party. :)
    - Step attacks as already stated.
    - Team moves from the human's racial, the fighter's martial skill, and from boots and helmets as well.
    Another option is Whirlwind Enemies. If you can't get to your enemy, it is sometimes helpful to bring your enemy to you.
    (I especially recommend it for Return to the Astral Shrine.)

neoncat likes this.
  4. You can also use superb wizard items like Runestone that have Winds Of War. This card is already incredible against your enemies - you can push them away so they cannot attack and even toss them into lava. However, by holding down CTRL when you play it you can select your own characters and move them. You could try to do the same thing with Telekinesis, but not as well.

Another popular item for dwarven warriors is Slippery Shield, which lets you move 3 when you block or just move 3 independently (forfeiting the block).

5. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Most players end up using Nimble Strike to move their dwarves around like they were elves. Winds of War is also great, and the human should load up on team moves. Also, the warrior should use Savvy Attacker as soon as you obtain it. (So, basically, what everyone else said... ^_^)

6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

When I first saw the truncated thread title on the forum main page ("How do you overcome Dwarves s..."), I was absolutely sure the title would end with "...tupidly strong HP and racial skills" ... :)

7. Questor

Questor Ogre

This might be a bit off topic but if the dwarfs are too slow and the elfs have not enough hp for you, just try humans.

Flaxative likes this.
  8. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Dwarves would do well with Rushing Aura on boots too. Hard to Pin Down is great. Dodge can be helpful since every time you are attacked you can hop forwards.
    Trained Command and Perfect Command are useful for your Human too.

9. Susano-wo

Susano-wo Kobold

Yeah, I've recently gotten items with speed auras (boots and helmet), and its greatly enhanced my get up and go :p (was running dwarf fighter and cleric with elf wizard, though I've swapped the fighter and wiz for a human cleric and wiz, and liked that better overall, though sometimes I miss the fighters sheer power

10. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Whenever I see any threads that care at all about mobility, and imply there MIGHT be a downside to a slow default Move, I smile inside. Fortunately, I smile for other reasons too, else I wouldn't smile much . . .

Anyway, I'm particularly fond of teamwork. Put Muscle Through on your faster characters and make them run alongside your slower ones. Or, likewise, put Shuffle, Team! (and others) on your faster characters. Not only do you get in range more efficiently, but then once you're in range you get to engage in coordinated maneuvers. It is harder for your opponent to counteract the maneuvers when your opponent only moves one piece at a time.

11. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Nothing is more terrifying for me than watching my opponent move their characters one square per turn, especially Team Shift (which is broken) because they can ALL move 1 square in formation. Those Move 1 cards are so OP, only ones with 0% move reduction vs encumber. Nerf now.

12. SuperBidi

SuperBidi Kobold

For my dwarf, I use a good number of step attacks (basically, one weapon full of it).
    I also manage to get 2 sprints (one from my human cleric, and one on the boots). It means only one big move, but placed at the good moment, it's often a dead enemy in front of me, as fighters can get lots of damage output in a few cards.
    I've also chosen weapons with very strong attacks, and traits/blocks otherwise. As you won't place your blows often, you tend to keep them in hand. So, that way, I always keep a good 17 damage, and throw away all the low interest attacks, allowing my dwarf to go on surely and kill fast if it gets the chance.

For cleric and wizard, I think the problem is less important, as you can focus on support/long range attacks. And the slow movement becomes far less of a problem.

13. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

Have you tried putting more movement spells on your wizard? I'd recommend packing 2 sensate rings on your mage. Tokenless common arcane item with gusts of war and a fairly benign trait to help thin your deck. Gusts of war is great for generating an effective 4 move to pull an enemy and your warrior together. If you have any epics with telekinisis x2 on it, I would recommend those as well.

14. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Sensate's Ring and Ring Of Appropriation are both nice items.

One fun thing to use is Sticky Slippers. On some maps, you can kill an enemy character on the first turn with a Wild Run+ two strong attacks. If you get Immovable and/or Mass Frenzy attached first, gravy.

15. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

OP is new, so they're not going to have many rares and above. OP, here's how to solve your problem cheaply in the stores.

(1) Weapons: step attacks (mentioned) - go to your inventory, or a shop, and enter 'step' in the search bar
    (2) Dwarf skills: Novice Ferocity (U) is a good, cheap, basic movement-based skill for the SP campaign
    (3) Human skills: Run, Team, Walk, Team, etc.
    (4) Boots: Turquoise Boots (C) are a brilliant choice for dwarves. Sparkling Cloth Armor actually makes you want to get hit by mages. Kodiak Boots are okay, too, and I really like Diamond Moccasins if you see them in Randy's and have 100g floating around

One of the misconceptions by new players is they need epics and legendaries to get through the game. Those items help, but there are quite a few powerful commons and uncommons: things like Twisting Shield, everyone's favourite Bejewelled Shortsword, Cleansing Blade on the geomancer levels, and so on.