Leveling up a new member in an already high level party

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by pakoito, Jan 16, 2013.

1. pakoito

pakoito Kobold

This is not a bug but a suggestion. It's been several times that I have wanted to change my party composition because when I chose first of course I didn't know which composition was optimal for my playstyle.

What happened was, I was running around with two lvl 5 characters and a lvl 1 one, so it meant I couldn't do high-level quest because I lacked power and grinding low-level quests on a daily basis is just not fun. I have raided Omelette like 5 times already. The goblins know me so well we share a cup of tea before I oneshot them.

I think this game can be redesigned to avoid this kind of grinding.

Please :(

2. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Have you, in fact, tried the high-level quests? I mentioned how I brought a level 2 character into a level 8 adventure, won, and earned said low-level character 20 XP (an entire level in one go). In fact, I've done this multiple times, and I find the low-level character often survives and serves well in the fight: there is the advantage of a small deck, for instance.

3. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Taking character too high to gain exp on a adventure seams to make it so the ones that can gain exp don't not really sure why but this happened to me could that be why you are stuck?

4. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Valid point, but moving to other forum.

5. pakoito

pakoito Kobold

Yours is a Texas Sharpshooter answer. It works for you but not for mine and other -most- cases. I do have tried bringing him to a high level quest and I failed because my low-level character is going to be the damage dealer, my two high level priests had to wave goodbye to his third priest friend (full priest, woohoo!!) because 12 attack cards in the whole deck -maybe 14 if we added Bad Medicine-were mathematically not enough to finish some levels. So now my DD can be killed in a single unopposed turn because he has no armor and just a low-level shield and 8 attack cards from my priests won't cut it.

6. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

As a Non-Beta Individual I was under the impression that there were different tiered Inns to recruit from (there was mention of a lvl 10 Inn)? Maybe the level of these Inns might need adjusted - maybe adding a lvl 5 Inn if needed could remedy this issue somewhat?

7. Sir Knight

I see the problem. Now, when you say "no armor": do you quite literally have no "Heavy Armor" cards? As you've been using three Priests, can I presume you have no "spare Warrior" hanging around with gear you can borrow?

Because that was an essential part of what I did: put high-level gear on a low-level character, and then the low-level character's smaller deck drew the awesome cards over and over.

8. pakoito

pakoito Kobold

Armor *SLOT* is unlocked at a certain level, so no matter if I have the maddest armor for him he can't equip it. Neither can he equip warrior traits or other things. And of course I don't have a leveled up warrior, he's gonna be it. Also there's level restrictions in gear, my lvl 5 priest can't equip a lvl 9 charm.

You have been playing for a while and assuming a lot of things. I started last week and already grinded the same story for 5 times.

9. Sir Knight

Hey, hey, no: I'm trying to help. I forgot about the Heavy Armor timing, but since I obviously couldn't do that on my own starting level Warrior either, I must have used a different strategy. In this case, I was thinking about the high-level Weapon I put on him. Because, as discussed, you don't have a higher-level Warrior from which to borrow, we are agreed that the strategy wouldn't work. (Unless by chance you picked up some Weapons as loot from past battles, but I think you would have mentioned that by now.)

10. pakoito

pakoito Kobold

I'm using improvised polearms which give good average damage plus range. I have two goblinkillers with those sweet 10dmg cards to unbalance, but range 2 has saved me a couple of times more.

But you understand the point of the suggestion now? one way around it would have been creating a sub-party with a build that included a hero of the class I wanted and walk them across the low-level campaigns, but it's the same grinding experience plus playing something I don't want to.

11. Scyrax

Scyrax Mushroom Warrior

I'm not actually in the beta so I could be totally wrong about this, but I thought the item levels weren't actually binding; just a rough estimation of power. Isn't it just the talents that restrict you?

12. pakoito

pakoito Kobold

Maybe, but the tutorial said we wouldn't be using them yet, except I bought one that did and don't know how to meet its requirements.

13. pakoito

pakoito Kobold