Incoming AoS/MOBA-inspired gameplay options

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Farbs, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

A suggestion I've been thinking about for a while... what if some figure bases were partially transparent to show special cases?

I'm thinking of dividing the base into three parts: Center, Outer Edge, and a thin Middle Ring between. The Center would be clear if the char gives zero points when killed, otherwise it's the player's color. The Outer Edge is clear if the char cannot claim any victory square, otherwise player's color. Middle Ring is always the player's color.

2. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

That's an interesting idea, however I think we're better off teaching the player the rules for each scenario as they come up, rather than teaching them about a new feedback element and hoping that they remember it. I suppose we could do both, but given we'd have to do the former anyway the latter becomes a much lower priority.

3. Farbs

I've added some more options for respawn periods and filters, and updated the first post to better reflect how this all works now. Speaking of working now... I should get back to work now! This stuff has been pretty fun to muck around with though, and I hope you guys find some cool uses for it.

Flaxative likes this.
  4. Farbs

Apologies for the triple post but... IT'S LIVE!
    Well, live on the test server anyway.

If you'd like to check it out, you can try this current WIP PvP scenario. You can turn on AI, and with a few edits make it reasonably competitive.
    My first game on this against Flax took an hour and a half (!), but with a few edits I then managed a game against Greenvise in much less time. Thanks to both of them for the games.
    This current version has a potential stalemate issue, but is otherwise pretty quick and fun. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Flaxative likes this.
  5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Checking the logs, there's no message when the respawn happens.

It appears that the respawn tags disable the kill-all-opponents win condition, with the game auto-passing for you when you have no chars. Intentional?

EDIT: Did some testing, and found that using the filters can set up a situation where the AI passes infinitely until you resign.

Suggestion: respawnSinglePeriodOne/Two/etc
    The "Single" means only one char (per team) respawns each period.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  6. Farbs

You're right about the win condition. I can make that another tag though if you think it'd be useful.

Good point about the log messages, I simply didn't think of it. Will add them in when I'm at my desk next.

7. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Bringing back that win condition (you lose if all your chars are dead at the same time) would be best for my current WIP.

But you really need to do something to prevent infinite passing (I suspect it could tie up the server if the player disconnects instead of resigning).

Playing around some more, I see that chars do not respawn if someone standing on their spawn point.

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'm very interested to see if anyone can cook up some fun singleplayer modes using these tags ... Mary Myrax is waiting!

9. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Using the team based VP I had a few map ideas a while ago. I designed Chupa Chase / Monster Hunt originally hoping for them, but then had to add Flight Aura and focus on the Chupacabra monster due to that restriction.

I might come up with something later on. Could use some more things to pad out my portfolio.

10. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

A quick question, if iwant to add more than one tag, do i need put a comma or just leave a space? or anything else?

11. tuknir

and about:
    Kill Point Removal
    You can set the number of victory points received for a kill to zero via the following scenario tags:
    • noKillPoints - applies to all characters
    • noMinionKillPoints - applies to all minions
    • noNonMinionKillPoints - applies to all characters that are not minions
    -----------------
    its possible to add a noKillpointsPlayer0 ( player 0 gets no points by killing chars) and noKillpointsPlayer1 ?

12. Farbs

Oh good point - use a space to separate tags.

Removing kill points for a particular player seems feasible, yeah. I'll look into it.

13. tuknir

Cool, i just submitted a map to mm using some of the new tags :). tested it vs gary on the test server and all seems to work.
    Fell free to play it and gimmi fedback :)

Very good job Farbs, this new tags will add a lot more dimension to custom maps

Stexe likes this.
  14. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I've been looking at some unshuffled monster decks, and notice that generally all their attacks are in a clump in the middle, traits are at the end, and several of them start by drawing all their moves. This isn't very good for custom scenarios.

Do you want us to bug you about reordering monster decks for each monster we want to use? Or should we try to come up with some deterministic way to automatically create playable orderings of most monster decks?

Here's my first attempt:
    There are 8 types of cards (I'm going to count hybrids as the first type listed).
    Decide on a good order of types.
    Create the new deck by picking cards one at a time from the old deck until none are left, using this order:
    First card of type 1
    First card of type 2
    First card of type 3
    First card of type 8
    Second card of type 1​
    etc...

For the order of types, how does this sound?
    1. Attack
    2. Armor
    3. Block
    4. Assist
    5. Move
    6. Handicap
    7. Utility
    8. Boost
    Originally I was going to start by sorting the deck by card name to make it purely deterministic, but I later realized that skipping that step gives us the option of making minor tweaks to specific decks if needed. For example, if we don't want monsters drawing All Out Attack as their first card.

Does anyone have a specific monster they want to use in an unshuffled game?

15. Stexe

I'm very curious to explore these new tags for map ideas in the future. Little busy at the moment looking for work, but they definitely do open a lot of new things.

Is there any way we can get access to the tag that allows only certain units to score VP as well as only certain team?

16. Stexe

Here are a few other ideas I discussed with Jon a long time ago that could really introduce some new mechanisms for building maps. Maybe you'd be interested in pursuing them as well.

• Ability for victory tiles to give VPs to both players (based on the number of spots they are on -- thus tied number of victory tiles doesn't simply just give both players nothing)
    • "Illusory Terrain" as in something that blocks line of sight but not movement (could be difficult terrain or open terrain for movement reasons) -- themed wise it could be like vines hanging down or a closed door or something
    • Ability for permanent default attachments on tiles (lava, acid, spikes, etc.) -- they can be overwritten with other attachments, but default back to the specific type when the new attachment expires

timeracers and Flaxative like this.
  17. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

This would be problematic as it would make ties/potentially very long matches possible. It would create the need for a new system: tie resolution -> more complicated, not as elegant design, harder to explain to players, UI complications.

18. Stexe

Yes, it would need tie resolution to be dealt with. It could be explained in text through a league description (a la how Oozeball works).

I'd probably suggest that ties in VP give whoever gained the most VP on that turn (say it is 5 VP and both are at 4 VP, one person earned 1 VP and another earned 2 VP -- thus the person who earned 2 VP wins). It wouldn't be that complicated from a user perspective. VP goals would be more of a threshold to victory instead of an absolute.

Just throwing out ideas on new types of things to add to the editor that could create a large number of new gameplay modes.

19. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I just checked this, and "noShuffle" only skips the initial shuffle, not future shuffles.

@Farbs, did you make any other changes when you added the second set of tags? My deck extraction scenario doesn't work any more; it gets stuck before showing cards drawn (sometimes the logs show cards drawn for 1 or 2 groups, other times the logs stop with the battle start message). It was still working about a week ago when I used it to get unshuffled decks for Mom and Cardotron.

20. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Would it be possible to get a filter so one can apply this only to player 0 or player 1?