Path of Knives/Crude Plates has more problems than one

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Sir Knight, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I previously reported that this combo is silly, causing Troglodyte Gougers to backpedal over and over until Path Of Knives deals damage or they hit a wall. I've seen them suffer nine pointless slashes in a row, twice, in the same battle. It leads to the slash damage visual effect (and accompanying grunt) playing in rapid succession afterward, too. This might need tweaking.

But now I see three other problems:

If I use Telekinesis but don't actually move the target, Path Of Knives activates to deal 0 damage. This 0 damage does not prompt the Crude Plates, but see the next bit.

Check this out: I pinned a Trog Gouger in place so it couldn't back up, then hit it with Bash, which it completely stopped with armor. (The Cardhuntria wiki is currently incorrect: Bash causes Slide Back 1.) It should cause the same result, right? Here's the log:

Kelmelm bashes Grug.
    Trog Gougers reacts! [here's the armor]
    Crude Plates reduced damage to Grug by 4.
    Grug moved. [no, it was pinned in place by my buddy on the far side!]
    Trog Gougers reacts! [here's the needless knifing]
    Path of Knives damaged Grug.
    Grug took 0 Slashing damage.
    Grug took 0 Crushing damage.
    Grug moved. [nope!]
    Trog Gougers reacts! [what, another knifing?]
    Path of Knives damaged Grug.
    Grug took 0 Slashing damage.

Very different. What I saw on the screen was the Troglodyte being walloped once, some silly card flipping, both slash and crush damage effects (one immediately after the other), and 0 damage.

Finally, almost the same thing happened with Force Bolt. The whole absurd log played as before (swapping "Arcane" for "Crushing"), but the log text for Kelmelm's activity was wrong:

Kelmelm is disoriented.
    Kelmelm moves.
    [Trog Gougers reacts! etc.]

I believe that this incorrect text has been reported by others.

2. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Thanks for the reminder ! All pre-beta cards are reset, will update once I get my hands on the cards images. :)

3. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

In the prior thread, I'd asked
    and now I know that it does: Path Of Knives triggers on enemies that rotate in place, or even waste a move card completely by just standing there. Whether this triggers Crude Plates, I wouldn't know; but I suspect it might.

4. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

This is a little off topic but, have you seen any cards that PREVENT your character from being pushed/moved by any means ? Some sort of tank stance would make sense

5. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Technically not what you are looking for but there is that create wall card. That would do it if you use it behind you I'm sure.

6. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

That's a nice find. I actually think it's OK for it to work the way it does, but we obviously need to animate it better.

7. Swiffle

Swiffle Mushroom Warrior

Doing Astral Guardians quests now, and Guardians of Mist do this as well. Shouldn't Crude Plates have to roll for each time the unit gets moved back? As it is, damage is blocked from the first attack, unit moves back, path of knives does 0 damage, moves back, path of knives does 0 damage, repeat. If Crude Plates rolled vs each time the unit was moved back and Path of knives triggered, at least when Crude plates failed, 2 damage would be dealt and it wouldn't need to move back anymore.

The 1 damage at the end being the initial attack, which was Reaching swing.

8. Bat Pan

Bat Pan Kobold

This is still a thing. Log from Frozen Bridge in "Beneath the Frozen Earth":

Frosty fires a surging bolt at Urgle
    Crude Plates reduced damage to Urgle by 4.
    Urgle moved.
    Path of Knives damaged Urgle.
    Urgle moved.
    Urgle moved.
    Urgle moved.
    Urgle took 2 Slashing damage.
    Urgle took 0 Slashing damage.
    Urgle took 0 Arcane damage.
    Urgle runs
    Urgle moved.
    Path of Knives damaged Urgle.
    Crude Plates reduced damage to Urgle by 4.
    Urgle moved.
    Urgle moved.
    Urgle moved.
    Urgle moved.
    Urgle moved.
    Urgle moved.
    Urgle moved.
    Urgle took 2 Slashing damage.​

Is this actually the desired behavior? Even if it is, it's animated as if it were a bug, where Urgle just starts hopping back a bunch of times in a row without any interruption from cards reacting.

9. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

I like to exploit Crude Plates with Wall of Fire. In ideal situation, Troglodyte Gouger has only one Crude Plate and at the start of the round he's standing on a fire terrain and backups by the Plates effect to another fire terrain and yet another time. In all three instances, the trog would take some damage from the terrain.