Rate my Randimar's Rarities

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Will-, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Questor

Questor Ogre

With that opinion you are quite alone.
    Get it, it is one of the best racials items.

hatchhermit and Squidy like this.
  2. wavy

wavy Thaumaturge

After a couple of weeks without any, there's two legendaries on offer for me this week: Ulrin's Scuttling Socks and Glasod's Dark Eye.

The socks don't seem to be worth getting, but how about the eye? I play dwarves in SP, so have avoided Soothing Darkness, but am thinking of experimenting with a Wiz/Wiz/Priest build using FS and Savage Curse. If it had been the Skull Of Savage Iljin then I would have bought it straight away, but is it worth the major token?

3. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

I've been playing a lot of FS + Savage Curse lately and I think it is useful. When playing that team I don't move very much due to the global targeting of FS so whether or not my wizards are encumbered doesn't really matter.

Sir Veza and wavy like this.
  4. Alcibiade_2nd

Alcibiade_2nd Kobold

Ector likes this.
  5. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

The point is that special items are duplicates of existing items. Holiday items are special items (Christmas, Halloween) as is Flax's vial. It was released as a thank-you to Flaxative for running an early tournament.

6. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

I bought the dwarf skill. My low level dwarf warrior has had his bacon saved 3 times from this card. My 3 adventure anecdotal evidence gives the card good marks. :) See, it may only activate half the time, but when it does it prevents tons of damage.

7. Questor

Questor Ogre

8. Ector

Ector Hydra

The eye is playable, but it competes for the yellow token with St. Ulrich's Bones. Remember that a character can have only 3 attachments, so if you play Soothing Darkness, Savage Curse and Firestorm, you risk losing one of the useful attachments to opponent's attachment or your own random negative trait. I found Bless much more convenient than Soothing Darkness, plus it makes a brilliant synergy with Volcano: you just move, wait the enemies to spend their moves and play Volcano + Bless.

hatchhermit and wavy like this.
  9. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

wavy and Ector like this.
  10. Ector

Ector Hydra

Congratz on the lavastaff! I wish I had one myself :)
    As for the shields, Snitrick's is really good for farming, but Ultimate Dodging? Dodge is good, but it isn't a block, and you may lack blocks with this shield.

11. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Dodge is like a block melee that you keep. I think that is worth the lowered "block" roll rate. At worst it's extra movement cards so it's never totally dead. Still, it is very matchup/map dependent.

12. Ector

Ector Hydra

No it isn't "a block melee that you keep". You cannot stay at the same place and avoid the attack. So you will often have to decide whether your char will yield the victory area or take the damage. Plus, if you're encumbered, your Dodge is a dead card, unlike a block.

wavy likes this.
  13. Stage

Stage Orc Soldier

Not quite. A block will let you immediately counterattck, but dodge will only negate damage if you move out of range/LoS of the attack; it won't block a spell if you can't dodge behind cover, won't block a range 2 if you're in close, and is completely negated by any kind of encumber. Dodge on a good day can absolutely win games by negating tons of damage over and over, but it's not generally nearly as good as a block when it triggers... unless of course you're running *away* from what you're dodging and *towards* whoever's escaping :p

14. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

15. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Yes, you have to move out of the way. But you know what you can use to move right back if you have to? That dodge that just saved your butt. It's like the attack was blocked but you gave up priority. You even get to keep it if you use a different move card. You are absolutely right that dodge sucks while encumbered.

16. Ector

Ector Hydra

If you don't have that different move card, then you've just blocked melee at 4+ and gave up the priority. I guess you wouldn't play a shield with 3 such blocks for a yellow token :)
    Just think a bit: how many blocks would you like to have in your deck? I'd like to have 5-6 or even more, and the shield is their primary source. Thus, if I ever want to add Dodge, I'd play Reaper's Scythe or Quick Jon's Axe. If I had to use it from the shield, I'd take Jackrabbit Shield. Three Dodges is too much IMHO.

17. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Again, depends on the build. On the right map, dodge + step attacks is phenomenal. Dodge away, then step attack right back where you were. You lose neither position nor priority, but avoid an attack and get to hold onto your card that allowed you to avoid the attack to avoid another. Also for what its worth, since we're talking about items with multiple dodges, if you have 2 in your hand, there's a 75% chance that at least one of them will trigger on a given attack.

18. Questor

Questor Ogre

Please do.
    I am not really sure if you are mostly trolling in this thread or if you have little clue in some things. But i guess that it is trolling because sometimes your answers are so far off that it can´t be a serious consideration.

The Shield is great because it has 3 dodges on it. And on the right maps it is very powerful, even if it cost a gold token. And to take weapons with dodge might be a interesting solution on certain maps if you need a lot of movement. Wicked Waterways comes to mind with a Wings build. But usually it is a very bad idea to have something else on weapons than attacks. There is a thread about it if you are interested.
    And to to suggest a shield with Hit the Deck makes it clear to me that you are indeed trolling.

But you do a good job, you don´t go over the top so people just think you are clueless, which gives you a lot of serious answers. I respect your skill but is it really fair to people who want real help?

19. doog37

doog37 Hydra

Personally I think Dodge is the most overrated card lately. It is similar to Duck in that it is a 50-50 roll and makes people not want to attack you face up. But I would not want to have 3 Dodges in my deck, because I wouldn't to have 2 in my hand. Hit the Deck is a bit of a desperation card overall but it is a 3+ universal block (66%) and if you want dodge from your shield Jackrabbit is a cheaper (blue token) way to do it.
    Also just for the record Dodge is triggered from any attack targeting the character, which would include a zap or a mind worm, but not a WW or FS.
    It rarely helps for a ranged attack, but once in a while you can duck behind blocking terrain.
    I am all for loading up on attacks, but if I had a Reaper or Quick Jon's I would use them, because while Dodge is overrate, it is good against most builds (FS excluded and is worthless if encumbered).
    I've really gone back and forth on the Dodge card as clearly keep block would be awesome (I know it is not a block) but the 4+ roll fails too often and it becomes a better deterant than protection.

20. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I think you're right - it IS a deterrent. Rather than me blasting away with cards like Purge to fish for blocks or Frost Jolt to slow them down, or even just rushing in to try and melee my opponent, Dodge forces me to re-evaluate my strategy. If they dodge this, what am I going to do about that? Or, if I try and hit them with a Bludgeon, can I make them move away and force them to play the Dodge? Can I wear them down or is it too risky to flip a coin with my final, desperate Oblit? Now I have to try and get behind them. A character with dodge can become a freaking wall.