what else are you playing?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by neoncat, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Tried the demo last night, and I think I need a turn-based version or something; the first enemies killed me while I was still reaching for the ESC key.

Any good, free, single-player games that I might not know about?

2. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

So, other games to play....

Good Old Games just sent me an email for one of their sales (I think they have a different sale every week), and this time it includes a couple things I've already played (for free) and liked.

Avernum 1-6: I've played demos of most of these, but only finished the demo for #6. I don't like isometric graphics, the keyboard+mouse input (I always hate RPG interfaces), or some of the game mechanics (the Luck skill/stat), but there's still a lot of good stuff in here: one reason I didn't finish the demos is because they're so long. This is tempting, since I've already gotten about $3 of enjoyment just from the #6 demo, but I don't know where I'll find time to actually play them. Note that this bundle contains the original versions; they've already done a remake of the first and will likely remake the others eventually.

DROD 1-3: I've been enjoying the (incomplete) free flash version of the first game, but stalled out about halfway through episode 4 (each episode is about 1/6 of the original game). These look like dungeon crawls, but they're actually challenging puzzle games (absolutely nothing is random). They're really good at what they do (which includes being frustrating), but I could just wait for them to finish releasing the free versions.

3. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Monaco - I hear that it's great in multiplayer with friends, but I was playing it alone so it was just a sub-par stealth game. :(
    The Swapper - Excellent self-cloning puzzler, with a tad of sci-fi mystery thrown in. ~4 hours of good puzzling.
    Race the Sun - twitchy obstacle-dodging... it's a neat concept and execution, but ability progression proceeds way too slowly. It's worth a few hours of exploration (spread over several days - the world is algorithmically regenerated every 24 hours), after which it stalls out due to excessive repetition.
    Bit.Trip.Beat - A pong/music mashup, it's more of a curiosity than a fully-fledged game (only 3 levels). It's sweet when you hit a groove and all the flashes, sounds, and movement sync perfectly, but it's a little too easy to teeter off that groove and have to start all over again.

In the queue:
    KOTOR - still need to go sort out the crashing thing and remember plot :(
    Planescape Torment
    Another World

LeisureSuitLoli likes this.
  4. Dwarftastic

Dwarftastic Kobold

Currently
    PC Misc- Card Hunter!
    Console RPG - Dragon Age: Origins and/or Dragon Age: Awakening.
    PC RPG - Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.
    MMO - LOTRO/WoW and maybe ESO.

5. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Just finished a playthrough of State of Decay, couldn't get in to it initially - but put around 35 hours time into it this time. Was nice to see zombie bites not being the cause of the infection - even if it was pretty downplayed. Also, Steam sale coming up in a few days - lots of stuff to pick up!

6. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Created a Battle.net account yesterday for Hearthstone, looks promising :)
    Dominion is another card game that's very comfortable to play online for free, used to play it a lot. There's a pretty nice AI as in Heartstone.

Edit: Now I can tell that Dominion has got a lot better AI than Hearthstone :p

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  7. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Please tell me if they've fixed their balance issues. It was just plain ridiculous back when I tried it during beta. :p

8. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I find that an odd way to put it: "only 3 levels." It's more like "3 worlds," exploring the different challenges possible in this game style within each sublevel--and each world is plenty long enough to keep me from ever completing the darn thing. Given how successful those folks became from games like this, exploring each new playstyle, it also strikes me as odd to say it's more a "curiosity" than a "game."

But then, I'm probably a weirdo for even bringing up such matters. We all know about gustibus and how it really non disputandum est.

neoncat likes this.
  9. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

My queue took a quick detour:

To The Moon - Playing for the second time, I think I was sniffling through the whole thing... the point-and-click movement is still terrible, and the puzzles are trivial, but it's well worth a look.

Gunpoint - Bought it on sale via Steam ($2.50). It's a great little puzzle/heist/stealth/shooty game. Pleasant mechanics (point-click-leap!), with good skill progression. Plenty of silly achievements to chase.

10. toromorado

toromorado Kobold

HELLO ANSWERING THE SURVEY AND FEEDBACKING

CARD GAMES:
    YUGIOH 2008- DUEL WORLD STORY.
    AND YUGIOH 2010. I DROPPED 2009 BECAUSE IT DOESNT SHOW CARD RARITY AND I STARTED TO PLAY THE GAME (2010) ONLY USING COMMON CARDS AND WOW THE GAME IS SO MUCH SO MUCH BETTER WITHOUT ANY RARE OR ULTRARARE!!! WHY? BECAUSE NOW THE GAME IS BALANCED !!!! NO MORE WINS IN 5 TURNS WITH OVERPOWERED CARDS IT IS BALANCED BY THE PLAYER!! I VE BEEN PLAYING THESE GAMES SINCE THE GAMEBOY COLOR ERA SO I KINDA KNOW THE INS AND OUT! COMMON CARDS ALSO LEAD TO NEW ALTERNATIVES TO WIN DUELS USING CARDS I HAVE NEVER USED BEFORE. AND I ALSO PLAY YUGIOH IN WWW.DUELINGNETWORK.COM.

HEARTSTONE: SOMEONE ASKED IF THE MATCHMAKING SYSTEM IS BETTER AND IT IS BECAUSE MY BROTHER NOW PLAYS IT AND HE GET PAIRED WITH PEOPLE OF HIS SKILL SO HE CAN WIN GAMES. SINCE THEN I HAVENT TOUCHED THE GAME BECAUSE I FIND IT TOO SIMPLE TO WIN, JUST GET THE PROPER SET OF CARDS AND ITS EASY TO RANK UP. DESPITE THAT IT IS 100 RECOMMENDED FOR ANYONE THE LOCALIZATION IS GREAT AS WELL. AD THEVOICES HAVE A LOT OF CHARISMA. TASTINGO IS SO MEMORABLE.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOBA:

LEAGUE OF LEGENDS: THIS WAS MY MAIN GAME UNTIL IFOUND CARD HUNTER. I MOSTLY PLAY IT IN MY OTHER PC THAT GIVES MEMORE FPS. U NEED THE FPS. WELLL, LEAGUE WHAT CAN I SAY ...IT'S ANOTHER GREAT AWESOME GAME THAT WIL GIVE YOU YEARS OF FUN. GREAT COMMUNITY AND A WHOLE BUNCH OF PEOPLE BEHIND IT SUPPORTING IT. U MUST HAVE HEARD ABOUT IT. I WATCH THE LCS EVERY THURSDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY SUNDAY I KNOW ALL OF THE TEAMS AND THEIR PLAYERS AND I DIG ALL THE CNTENT THAT IS UP. NOW IM PLAYING A LOT OF CARD HUNTER THOUGH N THIS PC, SO IT IS LIKE...1-2 GAMES OF LEAGUE. 1 RANKED, 1 ARAM.

SMUSHBACK CHAMPIONS: I THINK THATS THE NAMEOF THE GAME..BU I CALL IT SMASSSH.
    ITS SUPER FUN TO SMAAAAASH, SMAAASH THIS, SMASH THAT , SMASH OTHER PLAYERS, SMAAASH IS SO FUN. SADLYIT HAS DRAWBACKS AS IT IS A SMALL COMMUNITY AND THEY MOSTYLY PLAY CAPTURE THE FLAG INSTEAD OF 5V5 BUT EVERYTIME I MAKE A ROOM I RALLY EVERYBODY TO SMASH A 10 PEOPLE GAME! I WISH CARD HUNTER CAN HAVE 5V5 MATCHES HA . THERE ARE NOT MANY CHAMPIONS (COMPARED TO LEAGUE 100+) BUT IT IS STARTING AND THE GAME IS SUPER SMASHING FUN, EVERYBODY IS KINDA NEW,...SO IF U HAVE ANY EPXERIENCIE N OTHER MOBAU WILL BE PICKING SMASSSH REALLY FAST AND START SMAHSSHINGPEOPLE, THE CONCEPT OF SMASHING REALLY GETS ME...SMAAAAAASH!!!

I DOWNLOADED DOTA 2 AND WELL...IT SEEMS LIKE A BAD DONE LEAGUE. LOL. REALLY HARD TO PICK UP AT THE START. NOT LIKE CARD HUNTER OR HEARTSTONE OR SMASH OR LEAGUE OF LEGENDERINO THAT ARE EASY GAMES TO PICK UP RIGHT IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU "PRESS START". WHICH IS GREEEEAAAT!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I PLAY CHESS IN CHESS.COM. I ALSO FOLLOW TOURNAMENTSAND CHESS PLAYERS ON TWITTER. I FIND CHESS A TOTALLY EXCITING GAME. I LOVE THE CHESS COMMUNITY AS WELL.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

CARD HUNTER APPEARED AND TOOOK AWAY FROM THE THRONE ALL THOSE GAMES. HA-HA. IT WAS A GOOD THING TO FIND THIS GAME!! THANKS TO EVERYBODY INVOLVED!! AND THE COMMUNITY!

FPS:

QUAKELIVE : MY BROTHER PLAYS TIONSOF IT, SO WHEN HE LEAVES THE PC I PICK UP A ROUND OR TWO, AWESOME MAPS AND SPEED,. I EVEN OWNED A CLAN AND CASTED QUAKELIVE GAMES FOR THE LOCAL COMMUNITY WHEN I WAS INTO IT. BEST FPS EVER HAHA. IM BIASED.

----------------------------------------------------------

WOW THOSE ARE NOT TOO MANY GAMES TOBE HONEST .. I THOUGHT THERE WERE MANY MORE...MM....

THANKS FOR THE POST°!

11. RentalAnimal

RentalAnimal Kobold

Gang beasts!

12. shiah

shiah Kobold

I'm a major League of Legends nerd, I gotta admit u.u

13. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Freecell. I'm not much of a gamer.

Squidy likes this.
  14. Lord Feleran

What league/division? :)

15. shiah

shiah Kobold

Unfortunately I dropped to bronze at the end of last season, and I am currently unjured which prevents me from playing much. But I should be a solid silver 2 like I was last season xD

16. Lord Feleran

Get well! League is a fun game! :p
    Edit: Wasn't it impossible to drop leagues in last season? :eek:
    Edit2: Ah yes, my bad.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  17. shiah

shiah Kobold

I dropped due to inactivity, the last part of the season I didn't get to play at all. And I'm the kind of guy who would rather play with his friends...we're usually like 3-12people on Teamspeak and nobody really gets to play ranked much. So when I'm rarely on I do get my 5 ga,mes a week down but I'll play premade normals or 5v5 vs eachother.

18. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Right now: Card Hunter (not enough time to play anything else)
    Real soon: Dwarf Fortress (new version being released in early July, omg can't wait)

Sir Veza likes this.
  19. supersatyr001

supersatyr001 Kobold

Of course I'm playing Card Hunter, but otherwise:

Just broke my Warcraft addiction, to make time for my League of Legends addiction. Hoping to buy Minecraft on the PC, and I occasionally log in to Hearthstone.

20. Lord Feleran

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
    It's so good! :D Very easy to get carried away there :p