Card Synergies and tips

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Bandreus, Oct 10, 2013.

1. doog37

doog37 Hydra

Uh-oh all the vamps just got another card to obsess over. The Talented Healer cantrip vamping build is such a great idea if only there were a few more nasty drain attacks. I almost have enough items to make a 2 vamp 1 Control wiz build, but I really like my bashy build right now too much to make a change.

2. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

They won't. Dodge and other reaction cards won't get that movement boost either from Rushing Aura or Energizing Move.

Wroooooong! MF increases the base value so it would block that Bludgeon. Punishing Bolt is not stopped by Lifesaving Block because it does 0 damage the moment blocks check whether or not they work.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  3. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I am 99.9% sure that you are wrong. Again unless things have changed I have been the victim of a frenzied attack where my LS block did not trigger and then my character died.

4. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

I noticed that Devastating Blow gets through Lifesaving Block when the base damage alone would not suffice to kill, but the total with card bonus damage does. I found it kind of neat to have those workarounds - same for all card based damage like Touch of death and the punishing attacks

5. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I haven't messed around with MF and Lifesaving block so I don't know for sure... but if MF increases the base damage, then why is it not factored for All Out Attack?

6. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I've seen an explanation in the thread regarding AoA resolution and the attachment resolve after cards, but if you have a Frenzied Aura (or the like) and it is newer than the AoA (further left in hand) it will resolve first and be included in the calculation for the AoA. Attachments are never considered for AoA as they resolve after.
    I am fairly certain this logic holds for LS block and that attachments are resolved after the hand is resolved therefore I am right.

Bandreus likes this.
  7. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

I learned the hard way your ally can Reflexive Teleport away from a Savage Curse. This is not a synergy, but a good thing to know.

Edit: Replaced Dodge with Reflexive Teleport for accuracy.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  8. Lord Feleran

Well, idk is it base damage or not but regular boosts won't get through LB.
    "When this card does damage..." effects do like Punishing Bolt, Touch of Death and Devastating Blow, also Vulnerable, Combustible and probably some other similar cards which increase the damage after it's done already.

9. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

You're right, the movement boost isn't applied (I just tested this in game too).

10. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Really? If so, the same thing should happen with Reflexive Teleport, Jump Back, and Quick Reactions. (Another reason to build that "Not a Block" party I've been meaning to make.)

11. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

I remember wicked waterways and my genius idea to boost dimensional traveler with energizing move. I was pretty convinced it would work. That fail has a special place in my heart.

12. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

Yeah, when it happened it didn't occur to me that it happened until I cast something that was supposed to kill a mob and instead the mob didn't die and I still had all the cards I did. Then it hit me she avoided it. And now that you mention those other cards I can't remember if it was Dodge or Reflexive Teleport.

I suppose you could do it to give an ally a chance to move if you'd rather keep the card and don't mind losing out on the Savage Curse.

Edit: Okay, I just tested it. It happens with Reflexive Teleport, and NOT Dodge. Nor does it happen with Jump Back.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    Bandreus likes this.
  13. Lord Feleran

Ah, that's old. Reflexive teleport doesn't require attack to be enemy's.

Bandreus likes this.
  14. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    ParodyKnaveBob and Bandreus like this.
  15. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

If it's not listed on the wiki or in the last couple pages of the thread, chances are it wasn't posted before. Nope, I don't recall it being posted before.

16. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

I got a crazy one for the eccentrics:
    Impetuous Blast + Fright
    Stumbled over this thanks to Quickdraw.
    You need to get both traits at the same time and play fright first. It puts the blast on hold for the whole round and allows you to do other actions, move the mage, boost his damage, et cetera. You have the advantage of a sure 'Impetuous Blast' next round, so you can position all characters the best possible way.
    I assume pushing 'Fright' off makes the blast your next action, so there is some more control over the release (The most recent addition would be purging it).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    ParodyKnaveBob, Fry, PDXTai and 5 others like this.
  17. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

New cards have been introduced a while ago, let's start things off with an note to the combo above - the new Lateral Thinking gets rid of Fright - and lets you fire your Impetuous Blast next turn instead of next round.

Then, focussing on appliances that dont come to mind immediately - Attack, Soldier! can target an enemy. You might want to trigger a block with it from afar or turn someone around, pretty unique options for a warrior. Or don't you just hate it when the generic dwarf warrior brushes off the downside of Blind Rage by running lots of step attacks, able to spend them in a pinch to avoid the psychic damage? If he got blind rage, is already low on health and grounded, why not load him up with the blugeons and watch him pay the price for once. 3-6 unpreventable damage are considerable.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  18. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

The adjusted Unholy Energy and Holy Armor got a nice little synergy on a priest, beneficial for the whole squad. The armor itself in hand causes Unholy Energy to deal one damage at the start of a round, and chances aren't too bad Holy Armor turns that into one point of healing. You could even keep Arcane Feeback around to up the potential healing to 2 pts. Or how about a friendly mage providing low degree burning like Ember Spray or Burning Fingers? The start of a round could turn into a team heal if you dare to take it this far.

Unholy Energy Damage triggering amor has a few general implications - it doesnt go well with toughness and especially Inspiring Armor, or any amor you want to keep hidden - most notably Sparkling Cloth Armor. Same goes for other functional armor like arrogant armor, resistant hide, wyrm/drakehide, grounding plates.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  19. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

That's a good find Rob, although I feel this might qualify for a very legit bug report.

I'm pretty sure the devs never intended the healing effect from Holy Armor to be triggered by cards owned by your team members, similarly to how the draw effect from Inspiring Armor is only triggered by enemy attacks.

Now that I think about it, this combo was used way more often back in the pre-FS-nerf days, but it prob never got fixed because of how relatively ineffective healing is in the grand scheme of things (at least as long as MP is concerned).

Maybe @Souleye might want to experiment a bit with this. I feel like this combo could work quite nicely into his infamous terrain attachments build ;)

(And, since I'm at it I'll also state that, the drawing effect from Cleansing Ray should prob not be triggered when cleansing terrain attachments which have not been cast by the enemy. But I digress)

20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Holy Armor has always worked this way and no one has ever reported it as a bug... and Holy Armor certainly isn't too good triggering from player-owned cards, so yeah, let's just not worry about it :)